uploading and streaming at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Guys and girls per the RR team i was told you can stream and upload your scanner at the same time, how can this be possible? has anyone done this before?

georgew0819

RE Uploading and streaming at the same time

When using ScannerCast you can suspend sending tags under the advanced tab which frees up the port the data cable is on and still allows the audio to stream. This will allow you to make changes to the scanner such as adding talkgroups, new freqs, and resume sending the tags when done by clicking the Resume sending tags selection in the Advanced Tab section.

Last edited:

soc200

won't uploading to the scanner cause a reboot (and interruption to the stream) anyhow?

georgew0819

uploading and streaming

won't uploading to the scanner cause a reboot (and interruption to the stream) anyhow?

Yes, but the audio restarts on it's own under Scannercast after the reboot, no manual reconnection to the RR audio server is required on your end as long as the program was left running with just the alpha tags suspended.

SCPD

QRT
Uploading and streaming

I think we are over looking the question, your scanner or at least my scanner when uploading a file from software it goes into an upload mode which it will stop streaming until the upload is finish which at this point the scanner will reboot. Once the scanner reboots you then can go into the scan cast and hit the tags button. The scanner can not stream and upload the same time nor can your scanner stream and down load at the same time. Yes you do not have to reboot scan cast but that is not what the question was. I posted this question because a rep from RR told me that I was wrong and that the scanner can do both at the same time. I don't believe that this gentleman has ever programmed a scanner while it is streaming.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't believe that this gentleman has ever programmed a scanner while it is streaming.

Well, that would be me that told you that, and yes, the scanner is still "streaming" while being programmed, however it isn't scanning until the programming and reboot completes.

The worst that happens is that your scanner isn't receiving anything for about 10 seconds, and then resumes scanning after the reboot. But, your stream never went down in that case.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
ScannerCast remains connected to the RR server and the stream remains "online", but it's streaming empty mp3 data, not audio from the scanner. There is definitely a clear distinction between the scanner streaming audio, and ScannerCast streaming data. Once the scanner is in programming mode, all other functions including RF reception and audio output are disabled. So no, the scanner itself is no longer streaming audio, that's the bottom line answer.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
So no, the scanner itself is no longer streaming audio, that's the bottom line answer.

Well, pause, actually pause, the scanner is indeed still streaming audio, just the audio that comes out of the speaker when being programmed i.e. dead air and a beep or two when the reboot occurs.

:)

The reason why I'm splitting hairs here is this gentleman "challenged" me via numerous emails, telling me I obviously have never programmed a scanner in my life, and that since he's been in the hobby since 1981 that I might learn a thing or two from him, and, that I have no idea what I'm talking about. The root of this issue is that he loses his premium subscription when he brings his stream down and therefore cannot program his scanner with the Web service, so he reached out to us for help for which we're more than happy to provide all of our feed providers. However, our audio admin team has repeatably, and I mean repeatably responded to him with solutions, only to be met with each time the brick wall of "I've been doing this longer than you and listen to me and respect my scanner knowledge authority!"

We as a team, after reviewing with him privately the info as we stated above, just finally decided to step back and let the "more experienced" of the bunch settle into his own decisions on the matter.

Happy Mardi Gras! :roll:

Lindsay

N2JDS

I've done this many , many times like this, sometimes I 've even been 1000 miles from my scanner when I've done it. Like others said, all that is heard is a few beeps, and the alpha tags do not send.. Otherwise no one else even notices. But as always, I'm glad to have literally thousands of people on here to back up my brain when I need help.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The reason why I'm splitting hairs here is this gentleman "challenged" me via numerous emails, telling me I obviously have never programmed a scanner in my life, and that since he's been in the hobby since 1981 that I might learn a thing or two from him, and, that I have no idea what I'm talking about. The root of this issue is that he loses his premium subscription when he brings his stream down and therefore cannot program his scanner with the Web service, so he reached out to us for help for which we're more than happy to provide all of our feed providers. However, our audio admin team has repeatably, and I mean repeatably responded to him with solutions, only to be met with each time the brick wall of "I've been doing this longer than you and listen to me and respect my scanner knowledge authority!"

We as a team, after reviewing with him privately the info as we stated above, just finally decided to step back and let the "more experienced" of the bunch settle into his own decisions on the matter.

Ahhhh ok, makes sense now. There's always one of those in the bunch. If he's so experienced and knowledgeable, why would he have to ask anyone in the first place? :roll:

SCPD

QRT
Update

The only reason that the stream seams like it is streaming is because there is a couple second delay from the time the scanner sends the info to the time the scan cast sends it out. As you can see there are a few folks up above have answered the question the same way I did. You can not push and pull the same time. Now lets state the reason why this was brought up in the begin with, I along with a few other folks had found out when you bring your stream down RR data base will not allow you to upload any data into you scanner. Lindsay had told me that you do not need to bring the scan cast down to upload your scanner, all you have to do is stop the tags from playing. Lindsay then told me and others that your scanner will still stream while you upload the scanner!!!!!!!!!!!! No your scanner will and can not stream while it is uploading because the scanner goes into an upload mode after it uploads it reboots. Some scanners upload the data in 2 sec, some may take 10 seconds. All I was trying to say was no you can not push and pull at the same time because the encoder will not allow you to do this. Lindsay is correct that you do not need to close scan cast because once the scanner reboots the scan cast will continue to play. This was not my argument. My argument was that you can not stream and upload a scanner at the same time. You are using the same cable to do 2 different things. Lindsay insists that I am incorrect, if this can be done and scan cast will allow you to do this then I have a problem with my scanner. Scanner master, GRE. Motorola and a few other radio places and techs all told me this can not be done. I think Lindsay does not understand what I am saying. Part of my job when I was with the USFS was being a radio tech I did a lot of rebuilding Bendix King radios in my time so I think I have a good knowledge on how a radio and programming with cables works. Lindsay was correct though as long as the scan cast software is running I can log into RR and use the data base. I thank you for helping me out with that. So I rest my case and hopefully Lindsay understands the point of pushing and pulling can not be done at the same time. I think be beat this thread to a dead end and will no longer proceed with this thread. The RR team does a good job and glad to be part of the team.
If anyone is interested I do run 3 scanner buffs groups with over 1000 members. If you would like to be a member please email me at t_billman@hotmail.com. My scannerbuffofamerica group has well over 500 links from jobs to frequency look ups to ham radio info. Thanks.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Updating Scanner

When using ScannerCast you can suspend sending tags under the advanced tab which frees up the port the data cable is on and still allows the audio to stream. This will allow you to make changes to the scanner such as adding talkgroups, new freqs, and resume sending the tags when done by clicking the Resume sending tags selection in the Advanced Tab section.

There are some of us who have the rear port feeding TAGS and use the front port for updates. Therefore, you don't have tp suspend sending tags in ScannerCast.

georgew0819

re; ports used

There are some of us who have the rear port feeding TAGS and use the front port for updates. Therefore, you don't have tp suspend sending tags in ScannerCast.

I should have probably clarified that statement to show that when using the Pro 197 this is how it's done as the 197 only has the 1 IC port on the front for tags and programing.

Status
Not open for further replies.