US Marshals West

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well there was just a big pursuit out here. VSP picked it up at the 215 on 81 and it ended up here in Clifton Forge by my house. So not sure where the units were out of or where the pursuit started but it was the US Marshals in pursuit.

Picked up the Marshal's traffic although it was fully encrypted. The frequency is in the database but the NAC is different. May be Marshals out this way as the freq in the DB is for out east in Norfolk.

Freq was 170.850 NAC 864

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well there was just a big pursuit out here. VSP picked it up at the 215 on 81 and it ended up here in Clifton Forge by my house. So not sure where the units were out of or where the pursuit started but it was the US Marshals in pursuit.

Picked up the Marshal's traffic although it was fully encrypted. The frequency is in the database but the NAC is different. May be Marshals out this way as the freq in the DB is for out east in Norfolk.

Freq was 170.850 NAC 864

NAC 864 is listed in the RR Wiki as US Marshals and USMS Court Security, it may have been a different office, unit or location. Either way, good catch!

ecps92

Freq was 170.850 NAC 864
A lot the USM in the DB are the CSO's (Court Security Officers) at the Federal Courts

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
The USM have used 170.85 in the Norfolk area for decades with transmitter sites in Norfolk and Surry. I monitored encrypted traffic on that frequency in the Norfolk area as recently as last September.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The problem is I don't know how they are set up. Does Norfolk cover statewide or do they have offices/divisions elsewhere in the state. I am on the opposite side of the state from Norfolk. Quite a distance from Norfolk to say the least. I'm by WV while Norfolk is by the Atlantic ocean. In the DB it only lists Norfolk, Richmond and DC. Are there divisions in Harrisonburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville etc.? Seems odd the only divisions would be in the Eastern side of an entire state.

Also I don't believe these were Court officers. They were chasing this guy because he was wanted out of the Sex Crimes Division in another state. Sounds more like a fugitive task force type thing. David Janssen anyone?

Here is an article about it from WSLS 10

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The USM have used 170.85 in the Norfolk area for decades with transmitter sites in Norfolk and Surry. I monitored encrypted traffic on that frequency in the Norfolk area as recently as last September.
Yeah but I'm on the other side of the state and it has a different NAC which is why I put it up here. I didn't know about that Wiki page though. I figured it might be like other freqs which are the same for an agency but have different PLs or the like for different areas. So I wondered if maybe it was a division out this way using it and the NAC 864 was the division's access code vs the Norfolk division.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
The USM Service generally has a field office wherever you have a federal court. In addition to court security and handling federal prisoners, they are also responsible for fugitive task forces.

Virginia has two federal judicial districts: the Eastern District of Virginia and Western District of Virginia. In the Eastern District, USM offices are located in Alexandria (principal office) Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond. In the Western District, the offices are located in Roanoke (principal office), Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Danville, Abington and Big Stone Gap. I don't know if deputies are actually assigned to each of the smaller offices.

Here are the frequencies that I have for the Norfolk area back in the analog days. I believe they may still be used today:

162.7125​
MarshalsSurry rptr (input 170.8)
162.7875​
MarshalsEastern District of VA B/M
163.2000​
MarshalsCH-1 Norfolk rptr (inp 163.8125) CH-2 smplx
163.8125​
MarshalsInp to EDVA rptr on 163.2 also B/M F-5?
164.6000​
MarshalsCH-3 rptr (inp 163.8125) & CH-4 simplex
170.7500​
MarshalsLow power 5w VA and nationwide use
170.8000​
MarshalsInput to Surry rptr on 162.7125 CH-6 ??
170.8500​
MarshalsEDVA b/m sites: Norfolk & Surry

Hope this info is helpful.

ecps92

The problem is I don't know how they are set up. Does Norfolk cover statewide or do they have offices/divisions elsewhere in the state. I am on the opposite side of the state from Norfolk. Quite a distance from Norfolk to say the least. I'm by WV while Norfolk is by the Atlantic ocean. In the DB it only lists Norfolk, Richmond and DC. Are there divisions in Harrisonburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville etc.? Seems odd the only divisions would be in the Eastern side of an entire state.

Also I don't believe these were Court officers. They were chasing this guy because he was wanted out of the Sex Crimes Division in another state. Sounds more like a fugitive task force type thing. David Janssen anyone?

Here is an article about it from WSLS 10
Court Officers generally (couple of exceptions) are on the NAC of $293 where as the LE portion of the USM is the $864 NAC

Hbright

Freq was 170.850 NAC 864
How were you able to determine which freq the DUSMs were using? Was this via Close Call?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
How were you able to determine which freq the DUSMs were using? Was this via Close Call?
Yep. They crashed with 2 county units right by my house and two different scanners with CC activated both gave the same info. It showed freq, NAC and ENC for encrypted. Definitely Fed band vs the 155 CC hit for VSP. Plus VSP said they were there in pursuit and at end. So 2+2=4

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Court Officers generally (couple of exceptions) are on the NAC of $293 where as the LE portion of the USM is the $864 NAC
I just viewed this post pertaining to NAC 864 ..ok what is "LE" portion mean for USM ?
thanks...Marcy

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
I just viewed this post pertaining to NAC 864 ..ok what is "LE" portion mean for USM ?
thanks...Marcy
Marcy, just to expand on what RaleighGuy posted, the USM deputies assigned to LE handle such things as serving arrest warrants and chasing down fugitives.