US VERSION PCR-2500's Review, I dont Recommend This Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

Hello i have the Icom-Pcr1500 & Pcr2500 never had a problem with them both are excellent receivers across all bands there is no gaps in frequencies i am in australia it seems that some icom radios that get sold in america they have problems with them i know because a friend of mine bought a Pcr1500
from america end tested against my Pcr1500 and it wasnt perfroming same as mine at all in fact an atis which is 25 km away didnt even pick it up where my Pcr1500 signal strength was all the way to the end kept the radio for a few more days with no results.I been buying icom receivers for over 20 years & i never had to return one for warranty repair.

Regards Lino.
AOR-3000,AOR-3000A,AOR-8200MK3,GRE-PSR500,ICOM-RX7,ICOM-R3,ICOM-R20,ICOM-R75,ICOM-PCR1000,ICOM-PCR1500,ICOM-PCR2500,PALSTAR-R30A,REALISTIC-PRO2035,UNIDEN-245,UNIDEN-
396,UNIDEN-780,YAESU-VX7R,YAESU-FT8800,YAESU-VR500

nycap

pcr 2500

i bought an unblocked one for like 1000 bucks. that includes the p25 unit and the other unit increase the bandwith. works great with scanstar programs on the pc. even the software it comes with is pretty good. there is a good bandscope which is very sensitive; example will show you the jumps if you use a ssfh radio near it. whatever is transmitting nearfield it will intercept. you can record the intercept in case you want to analyze it. daul band works great; i mean it really its having two recievers in one. one use is those pesty cheap systems where dispatch on one freq and mobles on others so you park one side on the dispatch and scan the others. or if your logging you can split your band in half doubling your chance of getting the hit. the p25 will only work on the right side (and the right side goes to 2400) so if your logging then run the right side for p25 transmitions and the other side for analog; and its scans really fast. there is no problem receiving p25. easy to install in the back of your suv with a couple of covert antenae, put the control head up front, and no one even knows what youve got there. i could go on for a long time. its going to take a while to learn to use but if you have a particular use in mind its going to do it almost as good as that 3000$ aor2300. the only thing the win radio has over this is that the win radio tells you what type of encrption is received.

bottom line? for the money its the best "black box" out there for the money.

Tom_G

Wonder is we will ever see the blocking of 800MHz spectrum go away since nothing is analog any longer.
Seems like that day should be coming.
Especially Icom's way of doing things, where they took a bit of "extra" spectrum away....

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
They won't even sell their unblocked equipment to cellular/pcs providers so I think that tells you something right there [No].

Status
Not open for further replies.