BCD325P2/BCD996P2: USB not working after PC reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0evp

Premium Subscriber
I've got 6 BCD996P2 scanners connected to a PC running separate instances of ProScan to control them remotely at a different location. Whenever the PC reboots, the software launches but fails to connect to the scanners. To fix, I have to physically turn off the 996P2s and turn them back on to get the COM port to start communicating again.

It seems like when the computer reboots the COM port gets confused in the scanner and restarting the scanner refreshes the connection.

Has anyone else seen or experienced this? Thoughts?

kc0evp

Premium Subscriber
Possible Solution

This has been discussed before. The problem is the driver and scanner stops sending data after a reboot. Solution is use the rear port with a null modem adapter.

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/345290-bcd996p2-loses-usb-communication.html

Would something like this work? The PC doesn't have any native serial ports on the motherboard. It sounds like it's the USB COM port on the front of the scanner that's the issue.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adap...l-Mountable-USB-Serial-Adapter-Hub~ICUSB2328I

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just did some more testing. BCD996P2, BCD436HP, & BCD536HP all use the same driver which is Microsoft version 10.0.16278.1000 dated 6/21/2006. ChrisABQ is right that it is a Windows issue since the driver is part of the OS.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Then why when you cycle the power on the 996P2 it starts working. Answer the port on the scanner never rests until it sees a power cycle. I have remotes that allow me to cycle the power. My 3 BCT15X's are just happy as are my 2 wifi connected BCD536's but the 2 996P2's have to see a power cycle to reset plugging up or unplugging the usb cable has no effect until the power is cycled. Problem is scanner not PC.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's not a scanner, or Windows issue. It is a Uniden device driver issue.

Here's proof:

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It's not a scanner, or Windows issue. It is a Uniden device driver issue.

Here's proof:

Does the reboot problem happen with the Uniden drivers also? What's the scanner type? Microsoft drivers are used with the 996P2, 436, & 536. I believe a compatibility problem between the scanner and driver. Most likely it's the scanner as the driver dated 2006 before these scanners were around.

img1.png

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does the reboot problem happen with the Uniden drivers also? What's the scanner type? Microsoft drivers are used with the 996P2, 436, & 536. I believe a compatibility problem between the scanner and driver. Most likely it's the scanner as the driver dated 2006 before these scanners were around.

Yes it does. The scanner is a BCD996P2. The driver facilitates using Uniden's internal USB-to-RS232 conversion/interface. My 'Uniden' port driver is dated 01/01/2014.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes it does. The scanner is a BCD996P2. The driver facilitates using Uniden's internal USB-to-RS232 conversion/interface. My 'Uniden' port driver is dated 01/01/2014.

I posted an image in the previous post. My 996P2 is using the Microsoft driver.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe a while back. Not sure but both drivers seem to cause the same problem with a computer reboot will loose the scanner protocol communications.

Seems to be working ok now. I guess I was just assuming it was still a problem, as it was a couple months ago. I just did a restart, and it didn't lose the scanner!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Seems to be working ok now. I guess I was just assuming it was still a problem, as it was a couple months ago. I just did a restart, and it didn't lose the scanner!

I installed the Uniden driver (dated 1/1/2014) and rebooted. My 996P2 (firmware 1.07.09) needed a power cycle so yours recovered without a power cycle?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I installed the Uniden driver (dated 1/1/2014) and rebooted. My 996P2 (firmware 1.07.09) needed a power cycle so yours recovered without a power cycle?

Correct and I was surprised, as it didn't before. Something must have changed in the last month or so.

I did add a BCT15X with an actual serial port to my computer's serial port.

Here are some Windows 10 updates I added recently:

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 194

NeoSooner

BCD996P2

I can't get my PC to hook up to my scanner. The driver download does not contain any drivers. Win 7. BCD996P2. Any suggestions would be welcomed.My OS is up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.