SDS100/SDS200: USB Port Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeplett

Recently my SDS100 has stopped prompting if I want to go into Mass Storage Mode when I plug in a mini USB cable. I have tried 4 different cables, including buying a gold plated one from Amazon. No difference. It does charge, however. I tried formatting and reprogramming the SD card with no go. I tried three different SD cards also. No difference. (When I did, I reformatted them using the SD Association's reformat app also and not just Windows itself.) I have tried plugging the cables into several different ports on my PC. No difference. I tried reinstalling the latest firmware. It reinstalled, but no difference either. Tried a different PC. No go.

Today I tried plugging in a micro USB cable into the upper port and noticed it didn't grab a COM port. I thought it always did that? So I'm wondering if the USB portion of my SDS100 has failed.

Can anyone verify when you plug into the top port does Windows immediately try installing a COM port? I seem to remember it did.

And does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a way to reset this radio other than pulling the battery and clearing the SD card? I read somewhere the SDS100E could be reset by holding the middle soft key, the 2 and the 9 and turning it on. I tried that but it didn't seem to do anything. (I realize mine is not an SDS100E, by the way. Just figured I'd give that a shot, too.)

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Carefully inspect the actual mini USB port on the radio itself.

I have had to send in (to Uniden repair) a 436 and a 100 to have the port replaced because of bent USB port contacts. Make sure all of then are where they are supposed to be and the plastic on the port is fully intact.

SDS100: - mini-USB pin missing

Last edited:

bucks83

I Remember DOS
I had a SIMILAR problem here is what I did:
Try repairing Sentinel;
Go To;
Programs and Features;
Highlight - BCDx36HP Sentinel;
Right Click and Select Repair

When done Check that the Scanner shows in File Explorer.

I suspect I turned Scanner OFF BEFORE "Ejecting Media" and caused this problem.

REMEMBER TO EJECT MEDIA FIRST, LOL

I don't know if this will solve your problem but it won't hurt to try.

djeplett

When done Check that the Scanner shows in File Explorer.
Thank you for the idea, but for me it never shows up in File Explorer because the radio never detects a cable I think.

I'm thinking @nessnet is correct. I need to look at the port on the radio. It sucks because I tried to limit wear and tear on it by using a USB hub with switches. But I took the radio out this last weekend and when I came back & plugged it in this started. :(

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Look for some golden tinted metal inside the usb port connector that is where it shouldn't be..

djeplett

Can anyone verify that when you plug into the micro port Windows installs a COM port? Mine doesn't and I seem to remember it did.

cwhill

Premium Subscriber
The micro port is for an external power supply (non charging) or for GPS AFAIK.
I could be wrong but I assume he means the USB Mini here. His picture is of the USB Mini data/charge port. The OP in his first sentence refers to it mistakenly (again I assume) as the micro but means the mini. :unsure:

djeplett

No I am referring to them correctly. The mini is the only one that you can read and write to the SD card with. I was wondering why when I checked one time, Windows did not install a comport when I connected to the microport. I was thinking that if it did not install a comport when I plugged into the micro, that meant something internal to the radio was no longer working. I'm thinking it is a problem with the port on the radio itself. The miniport.

cwhill

Premium Subscriber
No I am referring to them correctly. The mini is the only one that you can read and write to the SD card with. I was wondering why when I checked one time, Windows did not install a comport when I connected to the microport. I was thinking that if it did not install a comport when I plugged into the micro, that meant something internal to the radio was no longer working. I'm thinking it is a problem with the port on the radio itself. The miniport.
Yep sorry. I thought your original post said micro..I guess I read it to fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.