USB Port on 436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I thought about putting this in the "What would you like to see..." thread, but this might be something that can be done without a whole new scanner. After owning my 436hp for a week and running it mostly through a wall adapter as opposed to battery powered, the scanner end of the USB cord really sticks out far and doesn't bend (the cord itself does, yes). I've got limited space on my desk at work where I can put it and the plug gets in the way of having it in a good spot. If the USB plug for the scanner size was about half its size, that would be great, but I see most of my USB cables the plug is that big. On other devices it doesn't matter because I only use them to charge. My 106 was a different kind of plug that is smaller and doesn't cause my scanner to fall over if something bumps the cord.

All in all, though, I am enjoying my new "toy" and would recommend anyone who is on the fence about it to just go ahead and jump to the other side. I like that for the Phoenix Police Department, the screen shows the precinct name.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I thought about putting this in the "What would you like to see..." thread, but this might be something that can be done without a whole new scanner. After owning my 436hp for a week and running it mostly through a wall adapter as opposed to battery powered, the scanner end of the USB cord really sticks out far and doesn't bend (the cord itself does, yes). I've got limited space on my desk at work where I can put it and the plug gets in the way of having it in a good spot. If the USB plug for the scanner size was about half its size, that would be great, but I see most of my USB cables the plug is that big. On other devices it doesn't matter because I only use them to charge. My 106 was a different kind of plug that is smaller and doesn't cause my scanner to fall over if something bumps the cord.

All in all, though, I am enjoying my new "toy" and would recommend anyone who is on the fence about it to just go ahead and jump to the other side. I like that for the Phoenix Police Department, the screen shows the precinct name.

There are 90 degree cables and also 90 degree adapters.

phask

Premium Subscriber

garys

Premium Subscriber
Since I don't have a 436HP (next week, probably) yet I don't know the answer. Is it a Mini USB or Micro USB on the scanner send? I like the 90 degree plug idea and used to use them on my cell phones with Mini USB plugs.

Answered while I was typing the question! Now, that's service. :D

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
OMG! And would you believe I was looking at the package of the other one I'd bought at RS when I ordered that? And the package clearly states USB A to MINI USB. Ugh! I blame it on being both Polish and a redhead. hahaha. Thank you SO much for pointing that out. I requested a cancel, but my luck they will say it's too late and I'll have to mail it back or eat the cost plus I ordered the correct one.

MORSEMAN

Premium Subscriber
I do stuff like that all the time. You might want to consider if these will interfere with the rubber dust cover. You may need on that is a right angle towards the top of the scanner. I bought a 536 last month and liked it so much that I bought a 436 yesterday. So far I would have to say that in our area in Phoenix these BCDx36HP scanners are the best way to go. Very happy so far.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Ha! I didn't even notice you were a Zonie, too. I'm in Tempe as well. Near Papago Park. I work near the 101 and Via De Ventura, though, and that's where most of my listening is done. And I agree, they're doing a great job on RWC. I'm picking up Phoenix precincts I didn't usually except at home as well as getting more Chandler, Tempe and Glendale. I'm pretty happy, too. Tomorrow will be my "big test"...when I go out horse hunting and will be near Saguaro Lake in the canyon area. With my 106 I usually only pick up MCSO east. I'm hoping to get more with the 436, but if I don't it'll be due to the higher "walls" between Saguaro Lake Ranch and Water Users.

Anyway, I think the dust cover won't be a problem as there seems to be enough empty real estate between the plug itself and where the dust cover attaches to the body. At the moment, I'm not too worried, but I double-checked and the one I bought a few minutes ago is right angle.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
OMG! And would you believe I was looking at the package of the other one I'd bought at RS when I ordered that? And the package clearly states USB A to MINI USB. Ugh! I blame it on being both Polish and a redhead. hahaha. Thank you SO much for pointing that out. I requested a cancel, but my luck they will say it's too late and I'll have to mail it back or eat the cost plus I ordered the correct one.
Glad I didn't order it right away. Would have to take back the finders fee.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I am using the angle down version of the cable, and the GPS cable. Had to remove the dust cover for it to work in the case, but its working great. Have both cables and the thin antenna wire to my roof antenna wire tied to the side of the scanner, and have the scanner mounted on an air conditioner vent in my work truck with the speaker pointing right at me. Works 100%.

TedRHayes

For what its worth, I've had very good success with the angled cable adapters I've purchased from the following site:

Angled - Mini-B Extensions

You can get it about anyway you might need it. I've got some short extensions (various lengths) to which I plug a standard USB mini-B cable (note: when you plug it in, the female Mini-B connector has a small tab that holds the male plug in place; requires a little bit of force to disconnect).

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
My incorrect one showed up today. If I return it I'll be charged a minimum $8 fee that will be deducted from my refund because the error had been mine and not theirs. That's more than half the total cost so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to return. I may it take it to work and leave it for someone to take in the lunch room and eat the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.