USCG Sector Long Island / Station New Haven Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbk127k

Was going to say the same thing hill, remote transmitters even the distress channels are remote transmitted and receive, best thing that the coast guard ever did was the build out of Rescue 21

Also a lot of the cuttere and air assets don't have encryption due to not having the available encrypt keys which get switched up often.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Good conversation guys I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I live in Philly and grew up here but lived on Long Island from 1969 to 1985.

I was a licensed Bayman digging clams on the South Shore right across from the Fire Island Lighthouse and Fire Island Coast Guard station that I imagine is long gone.

I also lived on the North Shore for a while.

In Philly we use CG 121 $296 which is usually encrypted on one side of the conversation but sometimes it's in the clear for buoy maintenance and other mundane things.

I don't use GRE Whistler scanners anymore since the advent of P2 simulcast but... There is an adjustment to make encrypted Transmissions a busy signal like you hear on the phone.

Boating has definitely changed on Long Island since I lived there... A lot more clamming then.

Enjoying your thread... Bob.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Great, I lived right at the base of the Robert Moses Bridge in West Islip on the Eastern side of the bridge so the lighthouse was directly across the Great South Bay from my bedroom.

Great Coast Guard activity in those days on Long Island. Boating was a lot more affordable as was gasoline.

Suffolk County Police Marine Bureau was also well represented with the J, I and K boats in my boating area between Bayshore and Babylon.

Thanks for your reply... Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.