Used tabletop rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Just heard the other day that a friend has accumulated 6 Icom R75s. I suspect he really likes that receiver. :)

--
Mike

GB46

Just heard the other day that a friend has accumulated 6 Icom R75s. I suspect he really likes that receiver. :)
Are all 6 in working order? Otherwise, maybe he want the extras for parts. On the other hand, knowing how hard they are to find these days, maybe he plans on selling them for a profit.

I like my R75 too, but one's enough for me. :)

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Are all 6 in working order? Otherwise, maybe he want the extras for parts. On the other hand, knowing how hard they are to find these days, maybe he plans on selling them for a profit.

I like my R75 too, but one's enough for me. :)
Oh yea. Geir puts them all to good use. He bought the one I foolishly sold a couple of years back. Silly me. Glad I replaced it. :)

--
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
At one time I had 3 - a Drake R7A (with the external VFO) from Gilfer, a Radio West modified FRG7 and a TenTec RX320D. At the time I lived in a condo that had a big attic I could get to with some effort, which I turned into a small antenna farm.

The RX320D was from TenTec, and predates most of the SDRs that came after like the Perseus. In spite of what the TenTec engineers always told folks - that it was meant as an entry level unit to get people interested in HF - it had many higher level functions such as a passband tuning (which unfortunately only worked in sideband) and up to 32 switchable bandwidths independent of mode. They ranged from 8 Khz all the way down to 300 hz in various steps if memory serves me. Even Larry Magne of the now defunct Passport to World Band Radio was pretty much blown away with its performance. Skip Arey N2EI and I had a breakfast discussion one time during one of the Winterfests and I learned that several folks he knew had that radio as a either a primary or a secondary; and some were hard core contesters.

It's been superceded since by the world of SDRs, but in its day, it raised many an eyebrow (Spock pun intended)

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
There is no doubt that SDRs are the future. As you can see from my sig, I have 4 entry level units* plus the kiwiSDR and I use them quite a bit. But I still enjoy the twisting of a knob for my listening.

--
Mike

* My experience with the rtl-sdr units was less than satisfactory so I don't consider them entry level. And it is always possible I didn't give them the proper opportunity. :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No doubt that the knob twiddlers among us would appreciate the old style tabletops that are sadly mostly gone, but there actually was a marriage of sorts between them and the SDR- the CommRadio CR1 and CR1A. and they even have a 10 watt transceiver now. The receivers have been discontinued, but they work well enough - you do wish for the bells and whistles you find on the Drakes and Icoms, though....Mike

N4DJC

Bringing this back up...

I noticed the Palstar R30A is discontinued being replaced by a R30B (coming soon) according to the website.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It will be very interesting to see whether they go hybrid (like the 8600) or stick with the standard superhet design. Hopefully they will move into the future with this one

Mike

N4DJC

It will be very interesting to see whether they go hybrid (like the 8600) or stick with the standard superhet design. Hopefully they will move into the future with this one

Mike

Yes I’d be interested to see what develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.