Using 2 instances of Sentinel on a Windows 10 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Purchased both sds100 and sds200. Want separate programming for each scanner. Windows 10 will only let me run one instance of Sentinel even when using the shift key to open the second instance.

How to I keep separate programming for each scanner using Sentinel?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Purchased both sds100 and sds200. Want separate programming for each scanner. Windows 10 will only let me run one instance of Sentinel even when using the shift key to open the second instance.

Use the "profiles" feature to program different scanners from the same instance of Sentinel, that's what it's designed for. I am currently programming 6 different scanners using 1 Sentinel.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

It not Windows preventing more then one instance running. Sentinel is a designed as a single instance application.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Have been trying for a week to setup both 100 and 200. Get one programmed but cannot retrieve the config for the previously programmed unit. Any suggestions on how to program both scanners with only one piece of software which is programmed for only one instance?

Thanks for the prompt reply ProScan

Next acquisition is ProScan for the 200 as soon as I get it programmed.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
ProScan (mentioned above) - best option.

Note that in Sentinel, you can have different profiles, but ONLY ONE set of favorite lists.
With ProScan, set up completely different folders for the 100 and 200 and fully install ProScan in each folder

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, separate profiles is your answer. I've got an SDS 100, 200, BCD 436 and BCD 536 x2. Each of the 5 scanners has its own separate profile.

There are common things in the Profiles such as the same Favorites Lists. However, in one Profile, all Favorites Lists might be on, but in another profile just some are on.

Bottom line is you gotta experiment with it. Kind of like tying shoes - tough in the beginning, but once you learn, you can do it blindfolded.

Ubbe

I haven't tried Win10 but when installing to a Win7 computer you get an option to select which folder to use for the installation. Choose different ones for the installations and there will be no problem as both configs and the register in windows will use different setups for the installations. Databases and everything will be seperate so you will have to do updates in both installations as they are totally isolated from each other, at least in Win7.

Change the name of the last folder in the install link, from "Sentinel" to "SDS100 Sentinel" and "SDS200 Sentinel" or something similar. After the first install you can change the name of the program and the Icons name to "SDS100 Sentinel" if Windows haven't already done that, to prevent Windows from overwriting the name at the second install.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Separate instances of sentinel is never recommended or necessary. You can set up a separate profile for each radio with one instance, and then choose which favorite list(s) are shared, and which are used by only one.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I've gotten the "create separate profile for each radio" - Sharing lists is more complicated

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No it isn't. All favorite lists are visible to every profile. Favorite lists are not contained within a profile, they are separate global objects. Toggle a list's Download and Monitor settings in the profile to send it to the scanner or not.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah - wonder if you might be over thinking this a little. For example you go to the trouble of creating a Favorites List for your local area and program it to a scanner all is good. You think "Gee I want to get the mobile version of this scanner".

It is a waste of time to plow the same field twice, reinvent wheels and also to recreate a Favorites List for a new scanner. Why not have the capability for the Favorites List to simply be programmed into scanner 2?

If you are really in to scanning, you might create numerous Favorites Lists for a variety of reasons. You may not always want all of the Favorites Lists from scanner 1 to go to scanner 2. So Sentinel gives you the choice to download or send individual lists to scanners based on their profiles. You might be sitting on the fence whether to program the Favorites Lists to additional scanners. Here the answer is to download the Favorites List, but tell the scanner to not monitor it (Monitor Off). You can go through some motions to turn the monitor status on.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
ofd8001 - I get what your saying and it makes sense. All this is pretty new and documentation is scarce.

I had no idea what download and monitor was even for. Every time I start the scanner after uploading
it shows nothing to scan. I thought that setting was to turn on a list to monitor but it doesn't work.

I have two computers setup with UT on them and an output for voice. I get whatever comes through the
site and since it's an independent repeater on one of the stations transmissions come from all over the state.
My handheld is where I keep ready stuff that's commonly locked out so I can easily enable it if something
is going on. My mobile is mounted and I stick to stuff close to home so I'm not tempted to play with the buttons
when I see lights and sirens go past. LOL

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Separate instances of sentinel is never recommended or necessary. You can set up a separate profile for each radio with one instance, and then choose which favorite list(s) are shared, and which are used by only one.
I finally found this thread. Running a 536, sds200 and soon a 100. All FL's and programming will be the same across all 3 radios. I would like different displays settings for the SDS scanners. Do I create separate profiles for the 100 and 200 then use "target model" for each? Don't need a separate profile for the 536 because only the opening greeting is affected and I can live with that.

Ubbe

Different profile names use different settings of display, search ranges, service types and what favorite lists to monitor. It's only the configuration of each favorite list that are common for the different profile names and everything else are unique. Make one profile named SDS100 and set target model to SDS100 and make another profile named SDS200 and set target model to SDS200 and do the same with BCD536.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I finally found this thread. Running a 536, sds200 and soon a 100. All FL's and programming will be the same across all 3 radios. I would like different displays settings for the SDS scanners. Do I create separate profiles for the 100 and 200 then use "target model" for each?

Profiles are scanner settings, favorite lists are channel settings. And yes, you want a separate profile for each, especially the 536. A target model mismatch between SDS models is no big deal, but there are a lot of settings different between the SDS and x36 families.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Profiles are scanner settings, favorite lists are channel settings. And yes, you want a separate profile for each, especially the 536. A target model mismatch between SDS models is no big deal, but there are a lot of settings different between the SDS and x36 families.
Good info. One more stupid question. In Sentinel, select create new profile and name it. Will they "self populate" with current settings?

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Different profile names use different settings of display, search ranges, service types and what favorite lists to monitor. It's only the configuration of each favorite list that are common for the different profile names and everything else are unique. Make one profile named SDS100 and set target model to SDS100 and make another profile named SDS200 and set target model to SDS200 and do the same with BCD536.

/Ubbe
Made the separate profiles. Read from scanner to get current display settings for the sds series for now. This was done on my laptop. I also run ProScan from my desktop. Do i just do a FTP read from scanner, from ProScan, to transfer the settings to the "controlling computer" (desktop)? I appreciate any and all input. Just a 58 year old carpet installer and the only thing that makes sense to me is fuzzy side up!

Status
Not open for further replies.