Using one antenna with multiple scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
F-Splitter to BNC Adapters?

I seem to be having trouble finding an adapter that converts the tv cable type connectors on a splitter to bnc for scanner cable hook up. Any suggestions on where to find these?

I need to use a splitter for now, since I just don't have $200 to spend on a multicoupler right now.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I use my Diamond X50, 2m/70cm antenna with a antenna A/B switch box to feed my 2m HAM radio and BC15 radios. This anternna is mounted about 35 feet up on the roof.

On the scanner end, I used a splitter to feed both scanners. I did sacrafice Mass. SP on 800mhz but I didn't mind that.

BTW I improved my reception 20%

I know this is an old thread but there's probably others out there using the same arrangement.
I also use a diamond X50A on my pro-197 and 996xt and even on my 780xlt at times,and it works great but I DO NOT suggest doing this on a switch with a transmitting radio!!
If even a small amount of rf from your ham/ commercial rig gets through the switch and back into your scanners....POOF!!! :(

n9zas

frazpo

Need something directional for a digital system

I am needing to get a better signal from a local 800mhz p25 system. Would a yagi tuned to that band work well.

nate1992

800 mhz shouldn't be that hard to pick up if your close to the area

Some time i can take the antenna off my scanner & still pick up the 800mhz system

how far away are you?

jmp883

My current monitoring post consists of an ST-2 Antennacraft antenna connected to a GRE amplifier and then out to my 5 scanners. I used BNC T-connectors and right-angle connectors and 3-foot lengths of coaxial cable to connect the radios together. Signal loss is negligible, as is interference from outside sources.

csp2839

Premium Subscriber
Hi there, I apologize if this has been covered....I perused quick and couldn't find info.
I live in an area where my scanners do not pick up well at all inside the home, both the handheld and my base scanner. Is there a decent and fairly inexpensive antenna I can get that will help? The drawback is the wife is against an outside mount antenna.

I was thinking possibly of a through the glass type cell looking antenna on my window, but it is a vinyl window with argon between the panes and figured there is too much of a space to work properly. But it would be nice and low profile.

nate1992

Well i would buy a out side mount antenna & put it in the attic! ( on the assumption u have a attic) although it don't preform as well as it would out side i will still improve reception! Give it a shot & see how it works!

csp2839

Premium Subscriber
Well i would buy a out side mount antenna & put it in the attic! ( on the assumption u have a attic) although it don't preform as well as it would out side i will still improve reception! Give it a shot & see how it works!
Thanks Nate1992, I do have a little attic space behind a " knee wall" upstairs. It's not very tall, maybe 2 feet or so if that. You happen to know of those "snooper" antennas people sell made out of PVC pipe....wonder if those work.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Multicoupler and impedance

I use a 4-port version of the product. It is a 50-ohm device. I use 50-ohm cable. In amateur radio where you are transmitting and receiving impedance matching is a must. In receive-only applications I have ready many times over that good quality 75-ohm cable with proper terminations will work very well. I even did it once with a scanner antenna. Worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.