Using Previsat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded Previsat to start playing with satcomms and am having trouble entering my location. Hopefully someone here can help me.
The program lets me cut and past or manually enter my latitude of 39.071445, but not my longitude of -108.549728. It won't change from the default value of "10°00'00"". I can't cut & paste or enter my current longitude, but can enter my old location of -76° 18' 51.84".
I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if it's a limitation of the number of spaces in the data field. I suspect its a limitation of the program, but thought I'd post and ask. I like the program, but if I can't set my location it's of limited use to me.

Chris
kb3scn

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Chris (@Osprey1163), I just installed PreviSat. I like SourceForge applications and already have GPredict. Let me get my copy of PreviSat set up and I'll see if I can answer your question. My longitude is in the -76 degree range or 76 degrees West. I might ask, are you still having an issue with trying to enter your -108 degree longitude? Just keep in mind that you may need to convert -108.549728 degrees to DMS units for the three-digit longitude to be accepted. 73, Dave K4EET

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Hi Chris (@Osprey1163), I just installed PreviSat. I like SourceForge applications and already have GPredict. Let me get my copy of PreviSat set up and I'll see if I can answer your question. My longitude is in the -76 degree range or 76 degrees West. I might ask, are you still having an issue with trying to enter your -108 degree longitude? Just keep in mind that you may need to convert -108.549728 degrees to DMS units for the three-digit longitude to be accepted. 73, Dave K4EET

Nice to meet you. I see you were with AA County 911 for quite awhile. I'm a former paramedic from Maryland and my brother has been with PGPD since 1988, nice to hear from someone "in the business" back home!

I never thought about converting to DMS for a location, thanks. I'll give that a try when I fire up Previsat again. I've been licensed as a Tech since 2008, but life got in the way and I had to drop it for awhile. I just moved to Colorado and have finally been able to set up radios again. I was out of ham radio for so long that it's almost like starting over again! Technology kept right on moving ahead without me too.

Chris
kb3scn

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Chris,

Yes, nice to meet you too. Wow! Small world when it comes to finding out our close relationships. I've been retired from AACo Police since 2005. In my position, I worked closely with Fire/EMS agencies that were bordering AACo. Yes, small world...

Just today I was working with PreviSat long enough to enter my own coordinates. I was having a little issue with getting my coordinates to go in. Those zero degree defaults just would not go away. I continued clicking around screens and came back to my location and my DMS (Degrees Minutes Seconds) coordinates for LAT/LON finally went in. A three digit degrees for the Longitude also went in. Just remember not to try entering a minus (-) sign in the coordinates. A minus sign indicates "West" so simply change East (default) to West.

Let me know if you can finally get your coordinates in. I made a new Location called "Home" for my data point. Have a blessed Sunday and I'll see you around here on Radio Reference.

73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.