Using Twitter for Alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

I posted this as a general question on the 'wasteland' forum. I wanted to see if our local members here would be interested in field testing my idea. If there is interest I will set up a account and get the info to everyone. If you would be interested in 'dispatching' alerts please PM me and I will get you the logins when I get the account done.
For those that don't know Twitter is a website that allows users to post short messages that post to the site. You also can subscribe to someones twitter feed and see there updates. You can send, and receive Twitters in many various ways. You can use e-mail, phone, web, and any combination.

I am thinking that groups could set a group account giving access to those that are 'approved' and use that as a incident messaging system. anyone can easily follow the twitter alerts, and only those with the correct login can send them.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I like the idea and wold be willing to test it out.

As you know I maintain a "paging" group that events are paged out on so this might be another good way to augment that group. (anybody here that is not already on it, let me know and I can get you setup)

My main thing would be to see how new alerts would be posted to the Twitter site. As we are not always by a computer there would need to be a method of remote updating.

Good thought, lets test it out.

Utah_Viper

I like the idea and wold be willing to test it out.

As you know I maintain a "paging" group that events are paged out on so this might be another good way to augment that group. (anybody here that is not already on it, let me know and I can get you setup)

My main thing would be to see how new alerts would be posted to the Twitter site. As we are not always by a computer there would need to be a method of remote updating.

Good thought, lets test it out.

I will work on the twitter account today. To answer your question, you can post twitters using e-mail, or cell phone. The one advantage to this method is that anyone can subscribe to 'follow' our twitter alerts page, but not haver to actually access the account.

I am looking at a couple different ways to set it up. To follow the alerts each person will need to make their own twitter account. then you will be able to follow the new alerts account. You can set up how you wish to receive the alerts.

As too sending alerts, I think I can set it up to just be a e-mail address that only 'dispatchers' would be given. Also I can give the login info so you could send via the website.

I will post more details as soon as its set up, and I know how to best use it and explain the set-up. For now those interested in sending, or receiving Utah Twitter alertsw set up a twitter account now.

www.twitter.com

Utah_Viper

Ok all we now have a twitter page: https://twitter.com/UtahAlerts
If you are interested in sending alerts via email let me know. I can give th e-mail address to you.
To receive the alerts, you need to have a twitter account and have that account 'follow' this one. apparently there are widgets, phone software, and other methods to actually receive the alerts. I personally have added a twitter widget to my google homepage.

frankblues

You folks might be interested in the LAFD twitter stream, I don't have the url handy here. They post all of their active incidents there.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'm activated now for the Twitter alerts. We shall see how it works. Whatever happened to the days of hanging around the back fence trading gossip with your neighbor?

Utah_Viper

Okay, I'm activated now for the Twitter alerts. We shall see how it works. Whatever happened to the days of hanging around the back fence trading gossip with your neighbor?

Sadly nothing of interest has happened in the 2 days since setting up. Will get something posted in time. Again if anyonw would like the e-mail to post new alerts let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.