USNS Comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Yes, should be interesting to see what FREQS are heard, for the Cap+ System, especially based on the Mercy Report
Reportedly coming into NY Harbor over the next few days!! Could be some interesting listening

CqDx

Few years ago there was a federal contract for XPR6550 radios in 403-470 MHz split for a shipboard 6 channel digital system. It seems highly likely that it has a similar system that USNS Mercy is using.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
T-AH-20 does have a DMR Motorola Cap+ Single Site system on-board. There's also UHF Motorola portables that are used on some non-marine conventional frequencies. I don't currently have any of the information at my disposal, but a friend who lives near Pier 90 said he's already receiving a DMR frequency he believes is the Comfort's.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the exact information at the moment for T-AH-20's (USNS Comfort) shipboard Moto Cap+ System? I used to have the information, but I don't any longer. I want to say it's the same frequencies and talkgroup plan as the Mercy but I can't remember. Thanks.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the exact information at the moment for T-AH-20's (USNS Comfort) shipboard Moto Cap+ System? I used to have the information, but I don't any longer. I want to say it's the same frequencies and talkgroup plan as the Mercy but I can't remember. Thanks.

It might be similar to the USNS Comfort, sorry I didn't notice it was the opposite ship when I posted.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber

I looked at that, but nobody has been able to verify whether it's the same yet. I was curious if someone knew.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
For anyone in Hudson County along the river, you may want to start searching 456MHz-460MHz for T-AH-20's Motorola Cap+ System. Reports from a friend who lives near Pier 90 says he's begun receiving new DMR frequencies he believes are the Comfort's system. Should be a 5-frequency, single site system.

Mods, if this should be kept to the New York thread, feel free to to lock this.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Check the usual UHF onboard freqs, 457.525-457.600. I hear DMR being used in Norfolk that is clearly Navy and clearly shipboard, but can't ID the vessels so far. Am thinking that these freqs would make sense for logistics or hospital ships.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

t13one12

T-AH-20 does have a DMR Motorola Cap+ Single Site system on-board. There's also UHF Motorola portables that are used on some non-marine conventional frequencies. I don't currently have any of the information at my disposal, but a friend who lives near Pier 90 said he's already receiving a DMR frequency he believes is the Comfort's.

Any help on where to search for that? I’m just across the river in Jersey.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

ecps92

I would begin in the 380-400, then move to 400-420
No luck there, the 457 and 467 bands where many Cruise/Cargo ships hang out

Beyond that, the Mercy is using 458 Mhz repeater outputs, might be a place to look.
and based on the Mercy, I would not rule out 465-470 as the repeater outputs too
Any help on where to search for that? I’m just across the river in Jersey.

cg

Premium Subscriber
In such a congested RF environment, I would think to arrive and use input channels for Public Safety would be asking for trouble.

chris

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
In such a congested RF environment, I would think to arrive and use input channels for Public Safety would be asking for trouble.

chris

Keeping in mind that trouble is the reason they've arrived in a congested RF environment. It would be reasonable to assume there's very different rules being played by under the circumstances for the Navy/Corps.

k2hz

Database Admin
They may possibly use the International (ITU) 457/467 frequency pairs designated for ship on board use. These may be conventional if not part of the CAP+ system.
Per ITU REGS:
5.288 In the territorial waters of the United States and the Philippines, the preferred frequencies for use by on-board communication stations shall be 457.525 MHz, 457.550 MHz, 457.575 MHz and 457.600 MHz paired, respectively, with 467.750 MHz, 467.775 MHz, 467.800 MHz and 467.825 MHz. The characteristics of the equipment used shall conform to those specified in Recommendation ITU-R M.1174-3. (WRC-15)

rufus-7

Picking up p25 transmissions on 385.1875 sounds like it’s a base relay because I could hear the base loud and clear but Im barely receiving the other units. Also, I’m not receiving any signals on the above frequencies. Will keep monitoring though just in case.

ecps92

any NAC??
I've seen that Freq used in the past by "State NRF Teams"
Picking up p25 transmissions on 385.1875 sounds like it’s a base relay because I could hear the base loud and clear but Im barely receiving the other units. Also, I’m not receiving any signals on the above frequencies. Will keep monitoring though just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.