UTAC & VTAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb2cgb

I am a member of an ambulance corps in Bergen County and we have UTAC and VTAC frequencies programmed in the console and portable radios. Can anyone tell me when or what they are used for?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I am a member of an ambulance corps in Bergen County and we have UTAC and VTAC frequencies programmed in the console and portable radios. Can anyone tell me when or what they are used for?
Assuming that they are some of the National InterOp frequencies, there should be a number as well (examples: VTAC 11 or UTAC 41). This would help to identify the exact frequency.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
VTAC and UTAC refers to a pool of nationwide interop frequencies. They are in the radios in case of an incident that requires coordination between agencies that are normally on different systems. They don't really serve any purpose for day-to-day operations, unless someone is using them in such a way that they were not intended to be used.

Bottom line, however, is that you should really be directing questions about your agency's radios to the person in charge of communications...not asking on a hobby forum. That's the only answer that really matters, not answers from people in TX or NC/FL. ;)

joedisp

Premium Subscriber
They are National Interops Channels in VHF, UHF and 7/8 MHz. In NJ we also have a number of UHF/800MHz interops that are set up as wide area repeaters and are mixmod Astro. Both set's are part of the NJ TICP and are utilized for both planned and emergent events.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Many documents unique to NJ are readily available on the web. These are published by the State.

Steve162

Premium Subscriber
Bottom line, however, is that you should really be directing questions about your agency's radios to the person in charge of communications...not asking on a hobby forum. That's the only answer that really matters, not answers from people in TX or NC/FL. ;)

My sentiments, exactly!

snapple4th

Read these links. None of this information is confidential, in fact its public information. https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=780172 and Project 25

Also, these channels do serve purpose for both coordination and interop purposes and are used for almost always used pubic safety purposes. Numerous agencies have used NJUTACS such as the ATTF, Jersey City, NJSP and others. The Essex County Sheriff's Office used to be the POC for these channels, I am not sure if the state took it over. Give their OEM office a call and I'm sure they can give you the latest plan.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Unfortunately, the OP is not alone since this problem is very common throughout many public safety agencies. It has been my experience that very few first responders are aware of the fact that these (or similar) channels, intended exclusively for inter-agency coordination, might be available in their radios. Even some who are aware of them, often have little to no training as to how such channels are to be used during a multi-agency response.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Read these links. None of this information is confidential, in fact its public information. https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=780172 and Project 25

Also, these channels do serve purpose for both coordination and interop purposes and are used for almost always used pubic safety purposes. Numerous agencies have used NJUTACS such as the ATTF, Jersey City, NJSP and others. The Essex County Sheriff's Office used to be the POC for these channels, I am not sure if the state took it over. Give their OEM office a call and I'm sure they can give you the latest plan.

Be mindful that the TICP in the hyperlink is 16 years old and, the new TICP is designated "FOUO"-Public Safety Sensitive. So release of the TICP for NJ is for official use only. If you are a 1st responder...this document and the NJFOG should be in your possession. The new SWIC for NJ can help obtain one for those that qualify.

radio_rob_nj

It's my job to listen
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the OP is not alone since this problem is very common throughout many public safety agencies. It has been my experience that very few first responders are aware of the fact that these (or similar) channels, intended exclusively for inter-agency coordination, might be available in their radios. Even some who are aware of them, often have little to no training as to how such channels are to be used during a multi-agency response.

There are some guidelines set forth by the State, and generally permission is needed to use the interop channels. A single department generally would not be the requestor to use the channels for coordination - that would usually come from the County or State (but would still flow through to the County to make it to you). What I'm saying is if there was a large enough incident, you can ask your OEM to request permission and they'd go through their chain of command, then you'd be notified which channel is assigned to you. The biggest suggestion I'd make is to be sure your personnel know how to get to those channels at minimum. This way they can get there without assistance when they need to.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
There are some guidelines set forth by the State, and generally permission is needed to use the interop channels.

Sounds like a lot of bureaucracy to go through during an emergency for a "large incident" just to use a radio frequency....one that's seldom used, if ever, in the first place.

The last time I had any use of a UTAC channel it was at a multi-jurisdictional incident, involving fire boats and land units from different places. One of the chiefs at the scene said, why don't we use one of the UTAC channels. They keyed up one that hit a repeater, and then told everyone to switch to that channel. Problem solved.

Actually, when you think of it, it's rather ridiculous to impose unnecessary "mandates" on an I.C. to use something readily available but have to ask "permission" from someone whose not on the scene and probably doesn't know what your talking about anyway.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Actually, when you think of it, it's rather ridiculous to impose unnecessary "mandates" on an I.C. to use something readily available but have to ask "permission" from someone whose not on the scene and probably doesn't know what your talking about anyway.

For a planned event where the NIFOG channels are used, they usually want you to talk to the Statewide Interoperability Coordinator. The idea is that the SWIC will have knowledge of what's going on elsewhere and can properly assign a channel (or group of channels) to an event to prevent interference. With repeaters on some of these frequencies, it's important for end users to realize that their transmissions may result in a much larger footprint than what their hand held radio can hear.

In an emergency, the IC/COMT/COML would do their best to find an unused channel, assign people to that, and then let the SWIC know so they can make sure no one else interferes with it.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
The NIFOG channels have been used a few times that I'm aware of in my area. Large storms that called in resources from across the state, we were in the same band, just hours away from each other so no need for each others interop channels. Switched to UTACXXD, boom, problem solved, simplex channel for us to all talk to each other on. Also during the protest/rioting in 2020, where many agency came together to respond who do not normally communicate with one another. Local, state and federal agencies could all talk seamlessly for once. My county surprisingly has a pretty good buildout of NIFOG repeaters of various bands, providing decent coverage.

My theory and understanding of it is, having them in all the radios, gives IC/COMT/COML's options to work with when direct interoperability (just switching to their channel) isn't an option, whether it be different bands, different voice protocols, lack of proper programming, missing channels, etc. Think about this, say in your area, you have some large natural disaster. So big that the surrounding states send their crews to go help out. PA, NY, MD, DE and whomever else isn't going to have your local interop channels. BUT, they SHOULD have the NIFOG channels that are relevant to their radio band. COML/COMT get to work, does their "magic" if necessary and boom, you're talking to whomever you should be and no need for a donor radio.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
To add a little complexity...the COM-T/COM-L needs to have both the NIFOG and the NJFOG. Most of the time though, the NJ interops are used since its just a phone call away to have them turn on the repeater so it can be used. The repeaters are supposed to remain off when not in use as to not interfere with adjacent states just in case they have similar channels.

Some of the national interops can be used as repeaters and the one thing that can mess up an event or incident is when folks go 'rogue' and set up their own comms with no coordination with the COM-U or SWIC. Always good to have your 217 and 205 forms at the ready.

Basic rule is that no one should just 'pop up' a channel or repeater unless someone else who is coordinating knows about it.

ecps92

The asking permission is the equivalent of Coordination.

Image two major incidents and both decide to share/use the same U/V/8 interop - what a Disaster.
Anyone recall when multiple CP's turned on patching at the Pentagon ?

Also not all [YMMV] states have ALL channels, nor are they available 24/7
a. Some states thru the SWIC/COML/COMT will enable the repeaters upon request
b. Some states will have only 2 pairs avail per Geographic area (County) so as to not overlap (aka Reduce interference)
c. others it is the wild wild west, I got here first, get off my channel.

That is why we have SWIC's, COMT's, COML's who are familiar with the TCIPs etc and can plan / prepare
Sounds like a lot of bureaucracy to go through during an emergency for a "large incident" just to use a radio frequency....one that's seldom used, if ever, in the first place.

The last time I had any use of a UTAC channel it was at a multi-jurisdictional incident, involving fire boats and land units from different places. One of the chiefs at the scene said, why don't we use one of the UTAC channels. They keyed up one that hit a repeater, and then told everyone to switch to that channel. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.