• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

vehicle repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Depends on what the radios are for. If it's VHF, the bi-directional cross band will have a low power UHF radio. If it's low band it could be either UHF or VHF for low power.

Probably would be. A decent setup for a split site repeater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In his other thread he wants to use it for 'security and other stuff' none of the equipment is narrowband capable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Ah. For ham use they'd be fine though.

Low band is still wide though (I didn't see whether or not the Syntors he has are low or high).

whirley1

vehicle repeater

who can tell me how a uhf ht that goes thru a vehicle repeater and comes out on the mobile vhf channel. How does the repeater know what channel to use? and to all you couch fcc police, No I am not licensed.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The radio doesn't "know" anything. All parameters have to be entered by the operator, then the cross band function has to be activated. This is the common amateur radio version. Commercial crossband "repeaters" are two radios tied together with all of the parameters programmed by a radio shop and not accessible to the operator in most cases. There may or may not be an activation switch in this case.

EDIT

I'll try my hand at a diagram. This would be a full power VHF mobile and a UHF mobile repeater.

VHF TX <---> UHF RX Signal received at the repeater from UHF portable is interfaced to the transmit side of the VHF mobile and sent to dispatcher

VHF RX <---> UHF TX Signal from dispatcher is received on VHF mobile and interfaced to the transmit side of the repeater and sent to the UHF portable

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

who can tell me how a uhf ht that goes thru a vehicle repeater and comes out on the mobile vhf channel. How does the repeater know what channel to use? and to all you couch fcc police, No I am not licensed.

You might check the Pyramid Communications site and download some manuals from the support webpage for better understanding.

I will use example of UHF portable, UHF vehicular repeater (VRS) and VHF mobile radio:

Speaking of the UHF link from the portable radio to the mobile vehicular repeater (VRS) equipment, most vehicular repeaters are single channel though Pyramid sells a multichannel that is manually set.

The UHF portable transmits a CTCSS tone to the VRS equipment and does not require a CTCSS tone on the return link from the VRS equipment. This is so two or more nearby VRS's don't try to repeat each others traffic and feedback.

Normally the VRS retransmits to/from whatever VHF channel the mobile radio in the vehicle is selected to. It is possible to configure a multi-tone CTCSS decoder in the VRS to select different VHF channels of the mobile radio. This is called channel steering. This means the operator selects a mode on the UHF portable that sends a different CTCSS tone for each VHF channel desired, (Dispatch, Car-Car, Records, etc). Another lesser used option is to use a DTMF command from the portable to remotely select the VHF channel.

In nearly all cases, the VRS is single channel and channel steering of the mobile is not used. Some sophisticated agencies such as CHP use channel steering and other advanced features because they almost entirely use the VRS systems to communicate.

The VRS system also has a tone which is sent to engage a priority timer to prevent two or more VRS's used nearby each other from transmitting over each other. The tone is transmitted whenever the VRS is engaged by the operator. This can be as simple as a switch on the dashboard or some logic sensing the vehicle is in the park mode and the seat belt is disengaged indicating the operator is away from the vehicle. The Pyramid manuals describe this mode. If you can find a old copy of the Motorola Pac-RT manual, the operational theory is described in great detail.

whirley1

thanks everyone for your help. Now that I am thoroughly confused, can I get a real simple answer as to what type of antenna do I put on my vehicle. uhf or vhf thanks again,

whirley1

now that I'm throughly confused, what type of antenna do I mount on my vehicle. uhf or vhf. my repeater only has one antenna connector.

RFI-EMI-GUY

now that I'm throughly confused, what type of antenna do I mount on my vehicle. uhf or vhf. my repeater only has one antenna connector.

Now that my response has been merged with your original post, I surmise that you have purchased a bunch of Motorola gear that was surplus-ed by some agency and you are seeking to put it into use for business (FCC CFR47 Part 90). Other posters have mentioned correctly that the equipment you have is no longer suitable for Part 90 operations since the FCC completed the mandatory transition to 12.5 KHz narrow banding in 2013. This equipment is still suitable for Ham radio (Part 97) and the UHF equipment may be type accepted for UHF GMRS (Part 95). As you are probably aware business radio operations cannot take place in Part 97 or Part 95 bands. The only exception is for a family business, GMRS is allowed, provided non family members do not utilize the radio system.

I suggest that you contact a friendly local commercial two-way dealer who can advise you what current radio models may be suitable for your application. The equipment you already have, you might wish to resell to buyers who may have better use.

You are welcome to contact me if you have further questions. I am a consultant, not a dealer.

SCPD

QRT
Shifty thinking

Syntor VHF is not currently type accepted on any services, part 90 or 95. Not even good for two meters Ham without lots of modifications.

Usually on the older Moto's, you can hold down the shift key to enter out of band freqs.
I've never programmed a Syntor.
Will that work for a Syntor?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Usually on the older Moto's, you can hold down the shift key to enter out of band freqs.
I've never programmed a Syntor.
Will that work for a Syntor?
Unlike more modern radios, you didn't just plug in a cable and fire up a CPS on your computer to do this. Programming a Syntor required a PROM burner. The EPROM has to be removed from the radio in many cases, and placed in a special fixture to be read and then written back to.

There are still some folks that have this capablitiy, but it's fading fast. Those interested in Syntor's will find a host of information here: Motorola Syntor, Syntor X, Syntor X9000, MCX and Mostar Information Index

FWIW, I had a 100 watt Syntor in an ambulance some 20+ years ago. It was one kick-*** radio at the time.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I suggest that you contact a friendly local commercial two-way dealer who can advise you what current radio models may be suitable for your application. The equipment you already have, you might wish to resell to buyers who may have better use.

This is the best advice yet, and I was going to say the same thing. It sounds like you are in way over your head and trying to make this work is only going to get you in legal trouble.

If you are running a security business, you don't want to have the embarrassment of being fined for putting these on the air and end up jamming a local user who happens to be on the same channels PASP used.

hamptonbeach

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread is a little old, but I know exactly what this guy has because I have several of them myself. The were surplused from PA State Police. It is a VHF Syntor X9000 with a box that mounts under the drawer unit. Inside this box is the Y1082A. It has 2 antenna connectors, one labeled radio and the other antenna. There is a data connector that piggybacks on the drawer unit main block.
Inside it is a VHF crystal controlled receiver (YLD1003A) that looks part Mitrek. It has a HLD4052A pre-amp. There is a Motorola RDD4684A six can duplexer, and 2 antenna relays.
Think of the old Flexar repeater and you will grasp the concept.
In normal operation of the mobile unit, the RF relays would by-pass the Y1082A.
There is a repeater button on the Syntor control head that I imagine would energize the RF relays inside the Y1082A so a received signal would get routed to the external receiver.

The frequency the PASP used was 154.755 simplex. A handheld would transmit on 159.21 (PL 186.2) and the Syntor would repeat it on 154.755. The handheld would receive replies on 154.755.

Everyone is correct here that the Syntor itself is useless for commercial operation anymore, and the 150-174 split doesn't tune well to ham IIRC, and you have the hack the RSS to program the frequencies out of band.

Here is someone selling or inquiring about the same thing (pictures)
สà¸*บถามà¸*ุปà¸à¸£à¸“์ Motorola Model:Y1082A

Personally I'm interested in any information on the duplexers - anyone?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know this thread is a little old, but I know exactly what this guy has because I have several of them myself. The were surplused from PA State Police. It is a VHF Syntor X9000 with a box that mounts under the drawer unit. Inside this box is the Y1082A. It has 2 antenna connectors, one labeled radio and the other antenna. There is a data connector that piggybacks on the drawer unit main block.
Inside it is a VHF crystal controlled receiver (YLD1003A) that looks part Mitrek. It has a HLD4052A pre-amp. There is a Motorola RDD4684A six can duplexer, and 2 antenna relays.
Think of the old Flexar repeater and you will grasp the concept.
In normal operation of the mobile unit, the RF relays would by-pass the Y1082A.
There is a repeater button on the Syntor control head that I imagine would energize the RF relays inside the Y1082A so a received signal would get routed to the external receiver.

The frequency the PASP used was 154.755 simplex. A handheld would transmit on 159.21 (PL 186.2) and the Syntor would repeat it on 154.755. The handheld would receive replies on 154.755.

Everyone is correct here that the Syntor itself is useless for commercial operation anymore, and the 150-174 split doesn't tune well to ham IIRC, and you have the hack the RSS to program the frequencies out of band.

Here is someone selling or inquiring about the same thing (pictures)
สà¸*บถามà¸*ุปà¸à¸£à¸“์ Motorola Model:Y1082A

Personally I'm interested in any information on the duplexers - anyone?

Odd little side note. Came home with 11 RNet 450's today…several pieces of literature have not only referenced the RNet 150/450 as the VRS radios…but also nearly identical to the EXPO HT's on the main TX/RX board.

Status
Not open for further replies.