Visting Philadelphia Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

wltrsf

I will be visting the Philadelphia and Radnor area this month. I have got the freqs I think I want from the database but have some questions.
I will be staying in the Philadelphia Int'l Airport area and going to the Radnor area.
What PD talkgroups on the Philly trunk system cover that area?
Where can I find out where the sectors are covered by the Delaware Cty System?
Are the State PD still on VHF in this area or have they gone to MA/COM?
Thank you.

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
You won't be able to hear the Philly system out there. It pretty much dies once you get out of the city limits.

Radnor FD 33.90 (repeats their 500mhz channel from the county)
Radnor PD is dispatched by the county now.

What kind of radio are you coming with? What program do you use to program with?

Dan

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
wltrsf said:
I will be visting the Philadelphia and Radnor area this month. I have got the freqs I think I want from the database but have some questions.
I will be staying in the Philadelphia Int'l Airport area and going to the Radnor area.
Thank you.

wltrsf,

Wondering why you're going to stay in the hellhole of the airport vicinity and commute to Radnor? The Blue Route (476) and I-95 are routinely a traffic headache during rush hours. You'll be spending alot of time crawling along the Blue Route.

PSP Media is still VHF: Base: 155.505 / Mobiles: 155.85 mHz
For the most part, but you'll mainly hear the base, you'll have to be in close proximity to hear the mobile units.

Plug in the Greater Delaware Valley Metro Radio: 451.9 mHz (a very broad reaching incident reporting network!!!

Sector 2 dispatches to:

Radnor (76) recently added
Marple (75) very recently added (1 week ago)
Upper Providence (77)
Newtown Square (71)
Springfield (91)
Morton (73)
Swarthmore (74?)

Also get M2 and Bravo
As well as any Radnor Tac Freqs.

Somebody with a digital APCO-25 scanner can help with Philly's system.

Media, PA "Everybody's Home Town" 508.6375 & 511.6375 mHz.
Fox: (Media's PD's "comedy channel"): 502.1375 mHz)

Good luck,

Andy

ctrabs74

wltrsf said:

IIRC, PPD Airport (77th District) has it's own TG on the 800 City Services TRS (separate from the PPD system) under the Aviation Department TGs. You'd also want to keep an ear open on the 12/18 District TG, which covers the area adjacent to the airport (the airport hotels are 18th District; but some hotels are actually located in Tinicum Twp, Delaware Co), but not PHL aiprort proper (hotels, Bartram Av, etc).

AFA taking your scanner with you to Radnor, you could be able to pick up one or both of the Philly systems (on PA 3, I've picked the PPD up as far west as 476; on Baltimore Pike, though, I can pick both up as far west as the Granite Run Mall just west of Media). Haven't had the chance to monitor in Radnor Twp, but you may be able to pick up Philly on parts of 476.

SECTOR 1 - Parkside (25), Upland (26), Brookhaven (27), Chester Twp (29), Aston (81), Bethel (83), Upper Chichester (84), Marcus Hook (85), Trainer (86), Lower Chichester (88), Nether Providence (99)

SECTOR 2 - Newtown Twp (Newtown Square/71), Marple (75), Radnor (76), Upper Providence (77), Springfield (91), Morton (93), Swarthmore (95) - 95 p/d also patrols Rutledge Borough

SECTOR 3 - Chester City PD (24; they use two-digit IDs as opposed to the 4 used by other agencies)

SECTOR 4 - Lansdowne (41), Aldan (43), Clifton Heights (44), East Lansdowne (45), Yeadon (46), Darby Borough (47), Colwyn (48), Sharon Hill (61), Folcroft (63), Collingdale (65), Darby Twp. (67)

SECTOR 5 - Glenolden (32), Prospect Park (33), Norwood (34), Tinicum (35), Ridley Park (36)

Ridley Twp (31) is still operating on its own dispatch channel until next month, when they move to DelCOM dispatch and operate on Sector 5. Ridley Twp also currently dispatches for Eddystone (23); Eddystone will also move to Sector 5.

Haverford Twp (74) and Media (98) are the last two PDs in DelCo to maintain their own dispatch at present (or will be the last two once Ridley migrates to DelCOM). Haverford operates on 453.275 for dispatch and 453.475 for secondary (both 103.5 pl); Media has already been touched upon in this thread.

Upper Darby Twp (79) and Millbourne (78) are dispatched by DelCOM, but on VHF-High freqs licensed to Upper Darby Twp. UDPD is dispatched on 151.025 (186.2 pl), with secondary on 155.070 (127.3 pl).

Still on VHF. PSP Media operates on C Channel, PSP Skippack (MontCo, also patrols parts of 76 and 476), PSP Philadelphia (patrols parts of 95 and 76 outside of city limits), and PSP Avondale (southern Chester County) operate on B Channel. Depending on where you are at any given moment, you could potentially hear all three stations (but, in the Radnor area, you will probably pick up Skippack and Philadelphia on B Channel).

PSP Media patrols mainly the western part of the county - Bethel (part-time; if it hasn't already happened, Bethel Twp PD is supposed to go full-time), Chadds Ford, Chester Heights, Concord, Edgmont, Middletown, Rose Valley, and Thornbury.

Boomeranger

Banned
ctrabs74 said:
SECTOR 2 - Newtown Twp (Newtown Square/71), Marple (75), Radnor (76), Upper Providence (77), Springfield (91), Morton (93), Swarthmore (95) - 95 p/d also patrols Rutledge Borough

ctrabs74,

Thanks for the corrections on Morton and Swathmore. I knew I was getting those wrong!

The sector station identifiers for Delcom have always been missing from the RR database, IIRC. I hope they add your up-to-date sector info!

Thanks,

Andy

wltrsf

I am using a PRO-96 and WIN-96.Thanks everyone for your help!

scanjunkie

Boomeranger said:
wltrsf,

Wondering why you're going to stay in the hellhole of the airport vicinity and commute to Radnor? The Blue Route (476) and I-95 are routinely a traffic headache during rush hours. You'll be spending alot of time crawling along the Blue Route.
I have to agree 150%. Do yourself a favor and stay closer to where you need to be...you'll thank us later!! If you don't, then while you're sitting in traffic from hell these posts will echo in your head over and over making you uncontrollably insane!!

Fred1

Visting Phila

Flash: Upper Darby PD & FD will be going to the UHF county freq. or loose its share of Homeland Security Grant money. Interesting stuff. I got this of a good source in the township. Any other info. out there regarding this.

Fred

ctrabs74

Fred1 said:
Flash: Upper Darby PD & FD will be going to the UHF county freq. or loose its share of Homeland Security Grant money. Interesting stuff. I got this of a good source in the township. Any other info. out there regarding this.

I haven't heard anything official, but that does make some sense. Upper Darby is the lone holdout on VHF-High Band compared to the rest of the county (though as noted before, dispatching is done on the existing UD channels by the county). I wonder if Haverford (which still has PD dispatch on 450mhz) will have to move it's PD over to 500 in the near future as well...

Boomeranger

Banned
Also in the RR database, it seems that Delco. has an APCO25 system designated as tactical. I don't have the scanner to hear it, whether it's encrypted or not.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Andy

ctrabs74

Boomeranger said:
Also in the RR database, it seems that Delco. has an APCO25 system designated as tactical. I don't have the scanner to hear it, whether it's encrypted or not.

My understanding is that it's not encrypted. I think they use those channels for special investigations, but I'm too far away from most of the DelCo towers to confirm that.

JRM5204

The Airport hotels are in the 12th district in the city and Tinicum Twp. in Delco. Also you can still monitor the Airport Police and fire on 453.4500R PL 107.2. Tinicum Twp. Police (35 cars) are on Sector 5 508.1125 PL 141.3.

ctrabs74

JRM5204 said:
Also you can still monitor the Airport Police and fire on 453.4500R PL 107.2.

Really? I was under the impression that all PPD/PFD patches between UHF and the TRS were turned off a few years ago. I guess I'll have to try and plug that freq in next time I'm down that way...

Boomeranger

Banned
Fred1 said:

Fred

Homeland Security in Upper Darby???

Are you joking???

Andy

ctrabs74

UD already on DelCOM

Fred1 said:
I did not make this up. Makes sense does it ?

Fred, hope you don't mind, but to clarify the headine of your post:

Upper Darby Twp PD and Millbourne PD are already dispatched by DelCOM on VHF-Hi Band channels licensed to the township. Same with Upper Darby FD (also dispatched by DelCo on VHF-Hi freqs licensed to Upper Darby). If I'm reading this correctly, it looks as though they will migrate the UD PD/FD over from the existing VHF to new UHF freqs.

Fred1

UD/FD TWP. goign to UHF

ctrabs74 said:
Fred, hope you don't mind, but to clarify the headine of your post:

Upper Darby Twp PD and Millbourne PD are already dispatched by DelCOM on VHF-Hi Band channels licensed to the township. Same with Upper Darby FD (also dispatched by DelCo on VHF-Hi freqs licensed to Upper Darby). If I'm reading this correctly, it looks as though they will migrate the UD PD/FD over from the existing VHF to new UHF freqs.

Hi,
Sorry for the misuderstanding of the facts. They will be going to the uhf frequencies.

Take care,
Fred

ctrabs74

Fred1 said:
Sorry for the misuderstanding of the facts.

Not a problem. I don't know how many people realize that even though they're twp freqs, that DelCom does the dispatching...

They will be going to the uhf frequencies.

Would UD and Millbourne still have a dedicated dispatcher/frequency when they move to UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.