Voices on 433.92 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So I was out walking with my scanner tuned to 433.92 mhz, then I heard distorted voices mixed in with Encrypted audio. Funny thing is, this is supposed to be a frequency for car remotes etc. and this happened around Dupont Circle, where all the embassies are. Is there a possibility one of the embassies could be bugged and that was what I was hearing?

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
433 MHz is the 70cm amateur radio band and is shared with the military and public safety agencies. Many police and fire departments through out the United States use it for every day operations including dispatch and tactical duties.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
"distorted voices mixed in with Encrypted audio"?

My vote goes to an intermod mix.

nd5y

433 MHz is the 70cm amateur radio band and is shared with the military and public safety agencies. Many police and fire departments through out the United States use it for every day operations including dispatch and tactical duties.

Where did you get the idea that 433 MHz is a public safety band? It isn't.

SCPD

QRT
Where did you get the idea that 433 MHz is a public safety band? It isn't.
You are correct. 433 mhz is used for car remotes, to wireless temperature sensors. That is the point, public safety is not supposed to use this frequency. There is something odd on this frequency.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber

rfburns

Is there a possibility one of the embassies could be bugged and that was what I was hearing?
You will never hear a bug placed by a government's intelligence agency. It sounds like it is most likely intermod. Listen to that frequency in other areas and see if you hear anything.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

zz0468 said:
"distorted voices mixed in with Encrypted audio"?

My vote goes to an intermod mix.

X2 probably the product of mixing

nd5y

Amateur Radio Operators have always been secondary users on the 70cm band, the military and public safety have always been primary users. This is covered in the Technician Class exam, at least it was when I took the test in 1996.
Government radiolocation (military radar) is not public safety.
Whatever you studied that says the 70cm ham band is used by police throughout the US is wrong or you misunderstood it.
Public safety is only allowed to use 421-430 MHz near Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo and ReconRobotics robot video links in the 430-448 MHz range.

W2NJS

Several years ago my local water service agency installed metering transmitters on everyone's water meter. I asked to see the transmitter as the work was being done and it was definitely on 433.XXX mHz. It's located in a box in the ground attached to the meter, and instead of a metal cover they use some kind of plastic/rubber thing, obviously to facilitate the signalling. Works like a charm and, saves the company from having to hire a person to visit each meter monthly to read it.

Barnaby

Voices on 433.92 MHz

Depending on the radio and the IF frequency, I would look at an image frequency. Example; 433.92 +

10.7 MHz + 10.7 MHz = 455.32 MHz. What you are hearing MIGHT have originated at 455.32 MHz

making 433.92 MHz the IMAGE.

Barnaby

SCPD

QRT
Several years ago my local water service agency installed metering transmitters on everyone's water meter. I asked to see the transmitter as the work was being done and it was definitely on 433.XXX mHz. It's located in a box in the ground attached to the meter, and instead of a metal cover they use some kind of plastic/rubber thing, obviously to facilitate the signalling. Works like a charm and, saves the company from having to hire a person to visit each meter monthly to read it.

Interesting. I have been hear hearing tones at regular intervals and confirmed that it is not any car remote.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Some SCADA systems operating in UHF are running a fair amount of power. I frequently can get intermod in various places on the 70cm band here caused by water department SCADA systems. It goes away when I notch out 450-460. I only hear it on amateur grade radios and scanners. Never on the commercial gear.

I'm still thinking it's an intermod, or maybe an image, as someone else suggested.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
So I was out walking with my scanner tuned to 433.92 mhz, then I heard distorted voices mixed in with Encrypted audio. Funny thing is, this is supposed to be a frequency for car remotes etc. and this happened around Dupont Circle, where all the embassies are. Is there a possibility one of the embassies could be bugged and that was what I was hearing?

Site / Frequency / Market Search Results

Barnaby might be right, it very well could be an image. FCC site search for the Freq on the FCC data base has no results. I did not look for the imaged freqs.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
You will never hear a bug placed by a government's intelligence agency....

Yes you can hear bugs placed by a government intelligece agency. Well some of them anyway. AND
if you mention the word ( BUG ) in a room where it has been penetrated by foreign agent ; and surreptious placed audio surveillance has been installed in the room(s), the bad guys in most instances can turn the bugs off , making " Sweeping" for them next to impossible. You may not be able to hear what is being said, but they can transmit. I will not get specific on the boards.

Was there not one placed in a Seal , or Emblem in one of our embassys sometime back? Was there not a politican whom found a bug in his office placed by the FBI, about 2004, or 2005.

You can hear a bug placed by a government intelligence agency. And it does not take an electronics genious. Bug sweeping, with all of its complicated electronics of detecting, and expensive signal detection equipment...is one of the tasks that can be done with more simpler methods. From house, office, car "Bugging" by private eyes, to more complicated methods. Again......I will not get specific on the boards ; But it dont take no genious.

FF - Medic !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.