BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Volume issue after firmware update..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
I did the lastest firmware update to my BCD436HP, and have noticed a BIG decrease in volume overall.I even went in and put all channels on a +3 setting, and still not as loud as it was before update. I dont get what happened. Anyone??

UPMAN can you put a fix in the next update please..

ems170

Feed Provider
I have all channels set for +3, and still usually have the volume no less than 10. My hearing is checked annually and is excellent, if anyone was wondering. Please turn up the volume levels.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Low volume problem after firmware update..A Fix is needed

This is driving me nuts ..I should have never done the firmware update. The update changed the volume, now i have trouble hearing this unit at times. Not to happy after spending $500 bucks for this thing..

UNIDEN Please put out another update to put the volume back to how it was out of the Box...PLEASE...so disappointed right now

mancow

Database Admin
Is there any documentation anywhere listing the changes with the current FW release?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have all channels set for +3, and still usually have the volume no less than 10. My hearing is checked annually and is excellent, if anyone was wondering. Please turn up the volume levels.

AFAIK the "Volume Offset" adjustment is only useful for one channel's volume compared to another channel's volume. If your max volume is 18, putting the Volume Offset to +3 will not make it +21 it will still only be +18.

Therefore, setting all channels to the same "Volume Offset" will not change the volume range you have using the volume control knob. At least it does not on my radios.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
I may be having a different volume issue. I do not know if this is a result of either the headphone recall work or the firmware upgrade, and I can not recall if this is the way the 536 was before both of those events.

My volume control now takes at least three "clicks" of rotation before I get the volume to change from 00 to 01. So basically it is four to five clicks of control rotation lost when raising the volume as the unit is turned on.

Is it a biggie - I am not sure yet - depends on if this is firmware correctable or normal for all 536's...

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
...and I can not recall if this is the way the 536 was before both of those events.

My volume control now takes at least three "clicks" of rotation before I get the volume to change from 00 to 01. So basically it is four to five clicks of control rotation lost when raising the volume as the unit is turned on.

My 536 has done this since I took it out of the box brand new. Same with the squelch, for that matter. I think it is normal for this unit.

waynedc

Premium Subscriber
My 536 has done this since I took it out of the box brand new. Same with the squelch, for that matter. I think it is normal for this unit.

wmlovell - My squelch max's out at 19 and the volume at 29. How does that compare with your 536?

DannB

Premium Subscriber
UPMAN any update on fixing this volume issue. Any new firmware coming out soon to address this very annoying issue? Thanks for any info on this.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Mine too. Volume offset +/- does not work on the 436HP. Freqs are the same level regardless of volume offset. I fired up my 396XT with the same frequencies and volume offsets and the volume offsets on the XT work.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't think you'll see any type of update to fix something that isn't broke. My 436 volume works great and so does the volume offset. Matter of fact I'm going to have to go in and adjust the settings on one I set up a couple of days ago because its too bloody loud now.

This seems to be an experience that a few are having not the many. Furthermore it seems most of the audio complaints are about the new improved audio which some people don't understand as being an improvement. (they don't like the bass)

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

baayers

I got my 436 on Thursday and found my self with the same issue. Our Local Sheriffs Office for example was extremely loud where several local cities were very quiet even at max volume. When I compared the modulation settings in the RRDB to my PRO 106 I realized that the DB was wrong. I remembered that last year the local PD's had narrow banded and I manually made the changes, but RR still showed them as FM. Looks like I forgot to submit the changes lol. I set the modulation to NFM and bam I found my self getting blasted with audio.

Here are the steps to see if this resolves the issue for others.

1 When the channel with the low audio starts talking press the Channel Hold key
2 Select Edit Current Channel the scroll down and select Set Modulation
3 Select NFM and exit

If this resolves the issue please submit the change to RR so they can update the DB and we can get it in the next Uniden HPDB update

DannB

Premium Subscriber
So wrong

Well I don't think you'll see any type of update to fix something that isn't broke. My 436 volume works great and so does the volume offset. Matter of fact I'm going to have to go in and adjust the settings on one I set up a couple of days ago because its too bloody loud now.

This seems to be an experience that a few are having not the many. Furthermore it seems most of the audio complaints are about the new improved audio which some people don't understand as being an improvement. (they don't like the bass)

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

You are totally wrong, this unit was fine until I did the friggin firmware update, so if the update screwed it up, then a future update should be able to correct it.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
This is driving me nuts ..I should have never done the firmware update. The update changed the volume, now i have trouble hearing this unit at times. Not to happy after spending $500 bucks for this thing..

UNIDEN Please put out another update to put the volume back to how it was out of the Box...PLEASE...so disappointed right now

I think one of the changes that Uniden did in the Firmware update was to change the default modulation from NFM to FM on several frequency ranges to improve the digital decoding. However, as Baayers points out this may reduce the volume for certain stations.

You might try to manually set the FM back to NFM (use the instructions that Baayers provided) and let us know if this helped. In addition, lets hope it does not mess up your digital decode either!

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
You are totally wrong, this unit was fine until I did the friggin firmware update, so if the update screwed it up, then a future update should be able to correct it.

Same here.

baayers

I think one of the changes that Uniden did in the Firmware update was to change the default modulation from NFM to FM on several frequency ranges to improve the digital decoding. However, as Baayers points out this may reduce the volume for certain stations.

You might try to manually set the FM back to NFM (use the instructions that Baayers provided) and let us know if this helped. In addition, lets hope it does not mess up your digital decode either!

I think the issue falls more with the info in the radio reference database than the Uniden firmware. If this resolves the issue for other posters the same way it did for me the fix would be as simple as submitting the info to RR so it can be changed. If you get the change made this week on RR you can download it next week in Sentinel. I just had to do the same for several cities in my county the other day. It would also explain why we are in the minority of total 436 users.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

Maybe, and you're right a future update could probably have some effect or another on the audio.

My question is who does Uniden pi$$ off, the few who have found what they think is a radio audio issue, or the many who don't have a problem with their audio?

Someone obviously, isn't going to be happy with either choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.