BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Volume Normalization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to normalize signal loudness on the BCD996P2 device?

We're running the audio through a computer and then speakers to achieve normalization but it's ugly and I'd rather not if the scanner can process the function internally.

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly sure what you mean by "normalization".

Some channels seem louder than others, which can be due to many things.

You can change volume offsets on a channel by channel basis. That could make the louder channels softer and vice versa. Additionally if there is a channel you want a little more emphasis to, the volume level could be increased. For example, you may want a fire dispatch channel to be louder than others, as yet another means of getting your attention.

Positive/plus makes the channels louder, negative/minus makes them softer.

brucewarming

Along the same subject line of volume adjustments.the 436 gives options of -3 to +3 per (TG) channel. AH but to have the choice of adjusting "User" ID volume offset would be great! WV's SIRN interoperability system is my main interest. The local, county and state "Dispatchers" volume is way up there! Blows the neighbors ears out. Then the officers radios for the most part are a whisper. Frustrating.

kb8rvp

BCD996P2 Volume Normalization

Is there a way to normalize signal loudness on the BCD996P2 device?

We're running the audio through a computer and then speakers to achieve normalization but it's ugly and I'd rather not if the scanner can process the function internally.

Thanks
You have a couple of options as mentioned you can control each channel or talk group with the + or -3 volume setting. I assume you can do the AGC adjustment like I do on the BCD396XT and 996XT. You will have to try it on your scanner as I don't have the new 996P2 version. Hold the Hold button down while you turn on the scanner to get into the hidden P25 adjust menu. If it works the lights may flash while the scanner is turning on. Once the scanner is on press the menu button and scroll to the settings option and see if you can find the P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust level settings.

Mike

kb8rvp

BCD996P2 Volume Normalization

You have a couple of options as mentioned you can control each channel or talk group with the + or -3 volume setting. I assume you can do the AGC adjustment like I do on the BCD396XT and 996XT. You will have to try it on your scanner as I don't have the new 996P2 version. Hold the Hold button down while you turn on the scanner to get into the hidden P25 adjust menu. If it works the lights may flash while the scanner is turning on. Once the scanner is on press the menu button and scroll to the settings option and see if you can find the P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust level settings.

Mike

Sorry I meant to say in the site setting you can turn on the Digital AGC setting to on or off I have mine set to on. Then in the programming software I have the digital AGC settings in advanced set to the following:
Response Time -1
Reference Gain +3
Dynamic Range +6

Or in the menu-settings scroll to Adjust Audio AGC and set them there too this will help "normalization" the too loud or too soft.

So many settings to remember!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.