• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wal-Mart Incident Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Funny you should mention that... #97 is page on many of the walmart phones! :lol:
If you see someone you know you can tell them, their vehicle is ready in TLE. (tire,lube & express)

n9zas

Even funnier you mentioned that...

Years ago I worked for Caldor. They had something for store pa also. But if you dialed another stores store id number, then the code for the pa, you could talk over the pa in one store from another. I did this for months. I was also close friends with the operator in one of the stores I was messing with. She said the managers asked her how to block it and at that time it was unknown.

Very funny...

ipfd320

Banned
WOW Talk about the MGT. acting like the Police....I Myself would have taken the Radio and Replied Back to You with a Thank You and Have a Good Evening....but thats Just me With a Friendly Reply...I Really don,t see any Harm in Being Nice Radio or Not

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW HERE

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Ok, here's the deal...While you believe that you have every right to transmit on the 570 MURS channel, Walmart has a claim on that frequency for their store operations. Right or wrong makes no difference!
If you want to use the freqency then feel free...As long as you are not on any Walmart property!!!
It's not an FCC issue, Walmart views this as trespassing and an intrusion on their business.
I have just recently heard the po po get dispatched the the store near my house for this very thing. The outcome...One trespass notice issued. Now if this person shows his face on Walmart property again he faces an arrest.

Is it really worth it to try to be cool and talk to Walmart? I think not!!! I don't think that I could survive the butt kicking from my wife if I was arrested for trespassing at the local Walmart. The nearest store is 1.5 miles away while the next nearest is 6 miles. Dropping her off at the edge of the parking lot ain't gonna work either.

SO...this manager could have just called the cops and had THEM deal with you. Then you would have REALLY thought he was an A-hole. Be happy that he just got in your face because it could have been a lot worse. And the letter that you sent to them? Worthless.

I value my local Walmart and I would never do anything that would cause me to not go there. It's the same deal at the flea market, and hardware store. Add Lowes, Home Depot, Target....you get the idea.

Leave the radios in the car as I do.
(However, I do sometimes wonder what frequency the remote shopping cart pusher is on. I'd love to see one of the cart clowns chasing that thing across the parking lot!!!!)

Ron

N4KVE

I feel exactly the same way as the above post. From time to time, I will listen to the local store on 154.60 here in WPB. It gets boring fast, just like listening to the local PD on my scanner. Unless the chopper is overhead at 3:00 AM looking for a fugitive. While it's no big deal to tx on 154.57, you were interfering with the operations of their store. Also, did you have to find the correct PL tone for the other radios to hear you. You don't need a PL tone to just listen to them, so if you did, you took the extra step to interfere with them. I'm the last guy here to play radio cop, but I believe you went too far. I don't care if you used a ham radio, or a business radio, but maybe they now won't let anyone enter the store with a HT because of your actions. I see plenty of couples using FRS radios in Walmart to keep in touch. So did you xmit a PL tone for them to hear you, or do their radios operate with no PL tone? GARY N4KVE

Last edited:

Utah_Viper

Just curious....

Since MURS is a open, and unlicensed service what would/could they do if My wife and I decided to use MURS radios during our shopping outings? "Honey do want tampons or pads?"

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks MOONBOOTS.

This local WM doesn't use a PL.
Also, one thing that I forgot to add, there is a police substation in the local WM. GOTCHA!!!!
Plus the loss prevention office is that unmarked white door right next to the main entrance. Looks like a closet.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Just curious....

Since MURS is a open, and unlicensed service what would/could they do if My wife and I decided to use MURS radios during our shopping outings? "Honey do want tampons or pads?"

Give it a shot!!!
You will receive the same treatment as above.
Keep in mind also that Walmart has a lot of power with the local authorities, a lot more than I do and I would guess more than you too. It's best to just forget about MURS near a business that is using it.

I will note that even though the local WM is only 1.5 crow miles away I don't ever hear anything from them at the house. However, there is a school in between that uses 570 for their drive line student pick up. Every afternoon around 1400-1430 during school days they spout a steady stream of numbers. They also use 600 for admin, "Please send the the janitor to the boys bathroom", "Miss Betty can you come to the office?"
I know that I could talk back to them but WHY would I do that? My grandkids went to that school, would I want some idiot interfering with the safety of the kids being picked up? Would you?

The bottom line is that carrying and using a radio does not give you exclusive rights. If you don't like what you hear or if someone has a problem with what you say and confront you then the logical course of action is to cease and desist or face being scutinized. The manager (David) was acting in the best interest of his place of employment.
Further more, filing complaints will get you nowhere, quit wasting your time!!! It's like wrestling with a pig.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Thomas, my hats off to you sir!

You didn't do anything wrong when using your radio to thank the employees and say goodnight. One other thing, you have meet a great challenge, and you won. Thanks for sharing publicly your younger years and how you overcame the problem. Not many like you my friend.

zumdish

There have been instances of idiots making racist comments over the radios and PA system, here in NJ someone made a comment over the PA then two years later a customer decided they were so traumatized by it they sued for $1 Million... possibly the corporation pressures managers about this making them overly sensitive to it.

Rob L.

ipfd320

Banned
Better Yet Go Off the Grounds of Wally World---(across the street)---Then it,s Not Considered Tresspassing and You will Still Hit There Radio,s

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
What a great read.. this story made my day.. hilarious!
Yep, so funny, time to learn from it.
I hope Walmart smartens up...
It's not WM that needs to smarten up, it's the bozo's with the FCC rule book trying to take on a massive retail corporation...get real!!!
dumb on the managers part.
Yes he was dumb and will probably (1 get a slap on the wrist for NOT CALLING THE POLICE and 2) an ATTABOY for confronting the OP!!! Looks like David may move up on the ladder a rung. He did his job!!!

Trying to disrupt WM (or any others) just to make a point only makes you look stupid and casts a dim light on the rest of us. Use your brain little and have the restaint to operate radios in a common sense manner. I don't care who you are, when you act like this you're being nothing but a wise a$$.
Now that we all know what the deal is move on and quit trying to make us all look stupid!!!

KA9QPN

This is why we can't have nice things....

SRSLY, this is the equivalent of showing up at a fire scene with a reflective jacket and six scanners on your belt. Low-profile is the way to go.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I may be sorry for this ...BUT,

(However, I do sometimes wonder what frequency the remote shopping cart pusher is on. I'd love to see one of the cart clowns chasing that thing across the parking lot!!!!)

Ron[/QUOTE]

Ron, you're making me divulge evil things here, pal! :lol:

Ok, the remote cart caddys vary from store to store, different mfg and such but...almost all of them use uhf itinerant channels and our in northern Ill.supercenter used 467.8125mhz. at 1 watt.
Yes....if you sat in the lot and keyed your mobile on the same freq, you could derive a LOT of laughs from watching the cart kid chase his machine across the parking lot!!!
Or make it slowly drive away from him when he gathers carts,lol!

IF you want to communicate to your wifey in the store then I suggest FRS radios. This should not get you in trouble with the walmart popo, as I've seen plenty of couples do this!
However, some of the CSM's and cart pushers are also using FRS to talk to each other.
Have fun but DON'T get banned from walmart!

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There have been instances of idiots making racist comments over the radios and PA system, here in NJ someone made a comment over the PA then two years later a customer decided they were so traumatized by it they sued for $1 Million... possibly the corporation pressures managers about this making them overly sensitive to it.

Rob L.

We did have one of our cashier associates play the "kmart jingle" over the p.a. one night! Needless to say, I didn't see her the following week...

n9zas

hhrj

Premium Subscriber

Ron

Ron, you're making me divulge evil things here, pal! :lol:

Ok, the remote cart caddys vary from store to store, different mfg and such but...almost all of them use uhf itinerant channels and our in northern Ill.supercenter used 467.8125mhz. at 1 watt.
Yes....if you sat in the lot and keyed your mobile on the same freq, you could derive a LOT of laughs from watching the cart kid chase his machine across the parking lot!!!
Or make it slowly drive away from him when he gathers carts,lol!

IF you want to communicate to your wifey in the store then I suggest FRS radios. This should not get you in trouble with the walmart popo, as I've seen plenty of couples do this!
However, some of the CSM's and cart pushers are also using FRS to talk to each other.
Have fun but DON'T get banned from walmart!

n9zas

The shopping cart thing was just something that I wondered about while waiting for my wife one day. To actually try something like that is below me. Plus if I ever got banned from WM I might as well get a divorce attorney too. I can get in enough trouble without doing stupid things.

ThomasMcKean

You didn't do anything wrong when using your radio to thank the employees and say goodnight. One other thing, you have meet a great challenge, and you won. Thanks for sharing publicly your younger years and how you overcame the problem. Not many like you my friend.

Thanks! :) Nice to acknowledged for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.