Walt Disney World radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on taking a trip to Walt Disney World soon & had some questions.

1: Are the UHF radio frequencies for the Magic Kingdom Parade & firework ops still active or have they been moved to the Nextel System?

2: I have heard rumors that the Disney world staff is touchy on the subject of 2 way radios. If I were to bring commercial grade Kenwood radios into the park to communicate with my group & my Pro-135 scanner into the park, would security or "Cast Members" (cast members=other staff) give me trouble or confiscate my radios? I would like to find this out so I know to leave my radios at the hotel while I am at the park.

Any answers to one or both questions is greatly appreciated.

hilofer

WDW radios

Not sure how things have changed since 2001 but my brother who was a GMRS licensee, carried his portable into WDW when he went in the mid 90's. Turned out his freqs were the same as their water crafts. He said they approached him about "hearing their craft on his radio." After some explanation, they invited him into some "back door" off of Main street and showed him their radio setup and weather radar setup for the park! I don't think they will be so accomodating in this day and age but heck ya never know. As long as you are not breaking any laws, I would probably do it myself.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
they can't confiscate your radios, but they could kick you out the park if they desire. there are thousands of folks walking around the park every day using FRS/GMRS/etc.. radios every day. of course if you are talking on their freqs they may be within their rights to hold you and turn you in to the FCC as any business class license you have would not convey rights to use those freqs outside your licensed area. but GMRS/FRS/HAM bands can be used legally there without worry.

honestly unless you are just blatant about it i doubt they would even give your radios a 2nd glance. last time we went my stepdad and I used our HT1250's to talk to the rest of the family who were using talkabouts. no one even paid any attention, and this was 3 years ago.

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
they can't confiscate your radios, but they could kick you out the park if they desire. there are thousands of folks walking around the park every day using FRS/GMRS/etc.. radios every day. of course if you are talking on their freqs they may be within their rights to hold you and turn you in to the FCC as any business class license you have would not convey rights to use those freqs outside your licensed area. but GMRS/FRS/HAM bands can be used legally there without worry.

honestly unless you are just blatant about it i doubt they would even give your radios a 2nd glance. last time we went my stepdad and I used our HT1250's to talk to the rest of the family who were using talkabouts. no one even paid any attention, and this was 3 years ago.

I never had an intention on talking on their radios, only listening in with a scanner. It's nice to know there are others that use the commercial grade radios & it is not just me.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
When I go to WDW I use the Icom F60V portables. I have never had any problem. I find the UHF radios work well in the parks. If you use GMRS/FRS frequencies set the band to narrow band and use a DPL and you probably won't get any interference from other stations in the area.

rob357

Radios at Disney

I have always taken my HT (2mtr/70Cmtr) into Disney with no problems. When they ask me what i intend to use it for i show them my HAM license and no other questions are asked. You can access the Disney Repeater as well others within the area verfy easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.