wanting to scan hillsborough county, fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

gousfbulls

Im looking to get a scanner for listening in to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. I believe I need a trunking scanner but am not sure. Could anyone please help me out with this and advise me on what I need. Thanks

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
i dont live there, but ive seen in a previous thread somewhere that it doesnt have good reception. you may want to invest in a better anteanna.

SCPD

QRT
Rx is just fine. The system is divided east & west. So you must chose with system to listen to depending where you are.

Also note a scanner is fine for 90% of the traffic. but the other 10% is ProVoice digital that can ONLY be heard with a M/A-Com radio. If you need a M/A-Com radio email me for details.

UFEMTFF

Com-4 said:
If you need a M/A-Com radio email me for details.
Wouldn't you have to be a user on the system to listen to ProVoice stuff? Wouldn't it be illegal to program trunking radios for non-users, even Rx only?

That is of course, if you are offering to sell someone a programed radio....

Last edited:

hoser147

Com-4 said:
Rx is just fine. The system is divided east & west. So you must chose with system to listen to depending where you are.

Also note a scanner is fine for 90% of the traffic. but the other 10% is ProVoice digital that can ONLY be heard with a M/A-Com radio. If you need a M/A-Com radio email me for details.
Would Appear to me its a Bootleg or Priate radio deal on a Public Service Radio. Besides that he's try'n to take business from the sites true advertisers. He was warned on here before about rule issues and Likes to Flame members. See his Previous Posts. I WOULD NOT TRUST THIS GUY FOR NOTHING........................Hoser

Last edited:

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yep, I've had my run-ins with Com-4 as well. The Hillsborogh system is NOT 10% Pro-Voice, unless something has changed recently. That's like saying 1 out of every 10 talkgroups is digital which is completely untrue. Once in a GREAT WHILE there will be a digital talk group, but it's pretty rare.

And yes, be sure to get a good antenna because everyone in town knows the Hillsborough system sucks.

SCPD

QRT
There are plenty of ProVoice talkgroups on the system, more then RR shows....

RX only is not bootlegging, it is the same as a scanner listening to the system, there is no system logging or handshaking. So unless you think a scanner is bootlegging your wrong.

talking about something you guys nothing about as always, Don;t get pissy just because you are a retired firefighter with old fire tactics.

Honestly I really do not care if you trust me or not. I sell to Government agencies as a full time job, they know I know my subject matters. Individuals can buy if they wish but believe me I wont loose sleep if you do not.

UFEMTFF

Com-4 said:
There are plenty of ProVoice talkgroups on the system, more then RR shows....

RX only is not bootlegging, it is the same as a scanner listening to the system, there is no system logging or handshaking. So unless you think a scanner is bootlegging your wrong.

talking about something you guys nothing about as always, Don;t get pissy just because you are a retired firefighter with old fire tactics.

Honestly I really do not care if you trust me or not. I sell to Government agencies as a full time job, they know I know my subject matters. Individuals can buy if they wish but believe me I wont loose sleep if you do not.
I would like to buy a ProVoice radio. Will you provide me with an itemized receipt, with exactly what frequencies, tg IDs, etc., that you programed. Also, will you write on there for me that I am not an authorized user?

If it were completely legal, you should have no problem with doing the above.

hoser147

Well your Wrong Again and thats probably why they ran you out of Florida. If 49 is old so be it. I would put my service record and knowledge up against scum like you any day.........Hoser

SCPD

QRT
UFEMTFF said:
I would like to buy a ProVoice radio. Will you provide me with an itemized receipt, with exactly what frequencies, tg IDs, etc., that you programed. Also, will you write on there for me that I am not an authorized user?

If it were completely legal, you should have no problem with doing the above.

I invoice for programming of course. There are about 10 other Company's that program like I do. One of them is Price Industries. M/A Com radio programming for EDACS systems has been done for years. Nothing illegal about it. As long as its for RX only & Affiliation is off.

Anyone here can buy the $2,500 software from M/A Com, buy the cables from Price Industires, & do the same themselves. It is NO Secret. And as long as you program RX ONLY & Affiliation off, it is treated on the same laws of scanners.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
hoser147 said:
Well your Wrong Again and thats probably why they ran you out of Florida. If 49 is old so be it. I would put my service record and knowledge up against scum like you any day.........Hoser

Don't get mad, get glad. No matter how much you try, customers will still come, government contracts with Mutual Aid Supplies, Inc. will still be signed, business will carry on as usual. Your comments do not effect me.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Com4 IS technically correct. There is NO law that specifically makes any distinction between a Uniden scanner receiving an edacs system and a Jaguar set up to receive (and only receive) on the same system. In fact, the law ONLY states that it's not legal to TRANSMIT WITHOUT
AUTHORIZATION, with authorization of course being something that is granted by someone
who himself is authorized to make that decision.

It is not illegal to have a radio that's CAPABLE of transmitting, it's only illegal to transmit
without authorization to do so. (And under bona fide life or death emergency situations,
the FCC specifically authorizes anyone to utilize ANY available radio system for the purpose
of summoning help. So having an emergency talkgroup that's "live" in the radio would
by itself be no crime...and might be handy some day.)

IF he bought the software from m/a-com, he can use it to program anything into a radio
that the radio and software will accept. But he knows that it would be unwise to put
in TX data. It may be possible to prove that that's not illegal, but it'd take lawyers and
money to prove it in some circumstances.

Personally, I'd never program anything but test channels for ANYBODY unless they showed
authorization forms. And then, only authorization forms for systems of which I personally
(or my company) are an authorized radio repair/programming facility, per the system
adminstrators.

Elroy

SCPD

QRT
Finally! An educated person on the subject matter speaks..

To all of you that need some education.
Please see Florida State Statue 843.165

UFEMTFF

Com-4 said:
Finally! An educated person on the subject matter speaks..

To all of you that need some education.
Please see Florida State Statue 843.165
Thanks for calling me an uneducated person...

I thought I was just asking questions above....

You are quite the business man though, I must admit!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Okay this has gone far enough. The thread is closed.

Just a couple of points on closing for those of you who have been wasting bandwidth reporting how Com-4 was offering illegal services. Owning a ProVoice capable radio is not illegal, indeed it is done all the time by scanner enthusiasts in Albuquerque, San Antonio* and other places where ProVoice is the main PS medium. ElroyJetson is also correct in that most dealers will not program a radio without authorization, but that is more of a personal decision or a contractual obligation than anything else. EDACS system capable radios (for the most part) do not require affiliation with a site receive, so as long as the radio does not transmit there is no legal problem.

*Yes San Antonio also has ESK enabled but that also does not stop a radio from decoding the ProVoice modulation if a means can be found to load the CCh key or some other means is found to direct the radio and that is also not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.