Wayne County Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Ok so im hoping since Wayne Co Sim is now on the air we can start a thread just for it.

So my first question is .... just by looking at the database how does someone know if the cities listed under wayne county are on the general MPSCS (like Plymouth & Northville) off the Northville tower or if they are exclusively on the wayne co sim subsystem???

My second question is .... I live in extreme southeast Oakland county. Why is it I can get the Washtenaw CO sim so well (over 90%) but I dont get the much closer wayne co system very well (50% - 80%). I am using an outdoor 800mhz yagi, but have also tried using an 800mhz rubber duck inside and cant get it at all. Any ideas???

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Currently, the Wayne County Simulcast System is only transmitting off two towers. A lot of reception issues has to do with their height above the terrain. According to FCC records they are:

• Merriman Road by Hines Drive at the WCRC yard, 76 meters.
  • Metro Airport, 34 meters.
  • Livonia PD, 94 meters. *
Once the Livonia tower goes online, you should notice a difference in your reception. The Northville tower is 152 meters tall, and has a very impressive RF footprint to say the least. The radios in Wayne County are programmed to affiliate with the Site-223 first. If that is not possible then the radios will seek any of their neighboring sites, such as Northville, Flat Rock, or even the Detroit Simulcast System, and affiliate with them.

* Not online at this time.

73s

Ron

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Thanks Ron. That is good news. I was worried I was not going to be able to get it well, which would not be good since im the western wayne feed provider. I was not aware that the Livonia site was still offline. Do you have any idea when that will be coming on?

Also, how do you know by looking at the DB what cities will affiliate with the wayne sim and what cities will affiliate with the regular mpscs system. For example the Livonia listed on MPSCS under wayne county will be on the county sim, while the plymouth currently listed under wayne county is on the main mpscs system off the northville tower. How does one tell the difference?

Currently, the Wayne County Simulcast System is only transmitting off two towers. A lot of reception issues has to do with their height above the terrain. According to FCC records they are:

• Merriman Road by Hines Drive at the WCRC yard, 76 meters.
  • Metro Airport, 34 meters.
  • Livonia PD, 94 meters. *
Once the Livonia tower goes online, you should notice a difference in your reception. The Northville tower is 152 meters tall, and has a very impressive RF footprint to say the least. The radios in Wayne County are programmed to affiliate with the Site-223 first. If that is not possible then the radios will seek any of their neighboring sites, such as Northville, Flat Rock, or even the Detroit Simulcast System, and affiliate with them.

* Not online at this time.

73s

Ron

dsw760

I was not aware that the Livonia site was still offline.

The Livonia site is still using the city's old EDACS system at this time. Unknown when it will switch over to Wayne County Simulcast.

Thunderbolt

I was not aware that the Livonia site was still offline. Do you have any idea when that will be coming on?

I would say within the next 90 days.

Also, how do you know by looking at the DB what cities will affiliate with the wayne sim and what cities will affiliate with the regular mpscs system. For example the Livonia listed on MPSCS under wayne county will be on the county sim, while the plymouth currently listed under wayne county is on the main mpscs system off the northville tower. How does one tell the difference?

This would be a difficult one to answer, as weather conditions would also play a significant role in this determining which radio affiliates with what tower. Under ideal conditions, the communities along and north of I-94, including Romulus, should be able to always access the Wayne County Simulcast System. Likewise, the areas along and west of US-24 should do the same. However, there are times when some mobiles or portables would be able to access neighboring tower sites, depending on their geographical location. This would be especially true if departmental personnel were issued take home portables.

73s

Ron

dsw760

Drove by the Livonia site this afternoon and noticed a couple guys on the tower and a new antenna array being hoisted into place.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I wonder how many Wayne radios will be affiliating with Washtenaw, Macomb and Monroe towers.

Thunderbolt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I wonder how many Wayne radios will be affiliating with Washtenaw, Macomb and Monroe towers.

I strongly suspect that the new radios from Belleville, Canton Twp., Sumpter Twp., and Van Buren Twp. will be the most likely candidates on the Washtenaw Simulcast. However, I am also hearing Romulus PD on the Flat Rock tower almost daily.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Sumpter Twp. has begun their transition to the MPSCS. They are currently taking their police vehicles down to the radio shop in Monroe, so their radios can be worked on. Hopefully, the fire department will switchover soon.

73s

Ron

Thunderbolt

The FCC has approved the use of the following additional frequencies on the Wayne County Simulcast System, under permanent license WNAJ346:

Also, the license updates the site located in Downtown Detroit, and reportedly adds a 4th site in the city of Northville. I just wonder if this isn't a mistake and should be Livonia?

Yours truly,

Ron

Last edited:

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Today I heard both Huron Twp and Plymouth Twp on the Wayne Co Simulcast. Plymouth Twp was on VC 854.5125.

On a side note I hope the Livonia site comes up soon. It is not easy to pick up the system right now.

dsw760

Wayne County Simulcast System is now using some of the same frequencies as the Livonia EDACS system which is causing interference issues.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Wayne County Simulcast System is now using some of the same frequencies as the Livonia EDACS system which is causing interference issues.

Well I guess that explains why some of the Livonia transmissions have had a lot of static lately.

dsw760

Does anyone have any updates on the status of the transmitters? Is the Livonia site up yet?

Thanks

The Livonia site is still being used full time by Livonia's EDACS system. About three weeks ago a new antenna array was installed on the Livonia tower, but it is not active on Wayne County Simulcast System yet.

Remember, all city services in Livonia use their EDACS system, not just police and fire, so it will take some time to transition everyone to the new Wayne Co. system before shutting down their current system and bringing the Livonia simulcast site on line.

Thunderbolt

Livonia Police have been doing radio training all day long, on TG: 7035. Earlier, the fire department was doing the same on 82LFD1, which is TG: 12747. Hopefully, the switchover to the MPSCS will be coming soon.

73s

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.