Wayne County System

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Just Curious

Is there anymore talk of Wayne County and their VHF Trunking System

I remember about a year or so ago that Wayne was implementing a trunking system.

Now you don't see a thing in the data base about it or even the frequencies.

Just wandering if they scraped the idea and jump on the Viper System

David

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Just Curious

Is there anymore talk of Wayne County and their VHF Trunking System

I remember about a year or so ago that Wayne was implementing a trunking system.

Now you don't see a thing in the data base about it or even the frequencies.

Just wandering if they scraped the idea and jump on the Viper System

David

David, I am still picking them up on their VHF System. I know they have tested some Talk Groups on VIPER but I do not know what they are doing in the future.
I will make a phone call to a good friend of mine who owns a radio shop in Goldsboro, maybe he can tell me what they are planning to do.
Sorry I could not be of no anymore assistance.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
There are limitations to the accuracy of the RadioReference database, just as the accuracy of the FCC ULS information for a particular license sometimes appears questionable.

Wayne County still has a license in-place for VHF trunking. A phone call or e-mail to the contact person on the license might result in more information on the status of a trunked system.

My impression from past newspaper accounts was that Wayne County was considering a Motorola system. It's possible that the county has put the project on-hold so that they might evaluate other less-expensive trunking solutions, such as NexEdge.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - WQHJ229 - WAYNE, COUNTY OF

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Greg!

I just don't understand why these counties are talking about there own system.

The Viper is the best way to go.

I mean there is no maintanence cost or up keep.

The only cost involved is the purchase of the radios

Now there are two vendors that sell radios that will work on Viper

It is a no brainer.

Just my thoughts

David

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
It can't be that bad?

Can't be no worse than Cherokee Co. in the Mountains of NC

David

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
wayne county system

the last i heard, the system is moving right along. the county is in the process of erecting the towers for the system. also the county is in the process of bidding out the radios at this time. if everything goes as planned, the system should be up and running by this fall.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Radiofan1,

To answer your question?

The two vendors are:

Motorola & EF Johnson

I know an EFJ Dealer in my area that already has them on the system

He also swears that the audio quality is better than Motorola. He sent me a video clip of a test that was done, the only problem is that the test was done using a digital scanner instead of an actual radio.

I find that a little hard to believe, then again I do not have an EFJ to compare it with my Motorola

He also told me that he has the SysKeys to program talkgroups and frequencies on the Viper System.

I told him, you must be doing something right because not everybody is lucky to have those.

David

radiofan1

So why won't Harris P25 trunked radios work on this Viper system? Thought P25 was open...?

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
There may well be some others out there

Those were the two that I have heard of so far.

Heck there maybe even a Thales on the system.

Who knows?

If I find out I will let you know

David

Man, don't get me started on Wayne county....

+1

I like the setup they have now. County Fire TAC1 still has darn good coverage of just about the entire county. I guess their VHF stuff for county fire is still on top of the Waynesborough Motel Downtown.

I don't know exactly what they had planned for their vhf trunking system, but it never looked like much to me.

I know most of the current VHF stuff in Wayne County is spread all over. The 155.280 transmitter used to be on the water tower on Madison Ave, the county fire TAC 1 and TAC 2 used to be on top of the old motel downtown, and I want to think TAC 3 was on top of the courthouse. The SO repeater is on top of the hospital, and the GPD repeater was on the tower at the police dept building on Center St. I can't remember where the 2 city fire repeaters were located, but I know REPEAT 1 had a voter system with a couple rx sites around the city.

I don't know the current standings, as I have a call into a friend of mine that works dispatch up there. Hopefully he can shed some light on their up and coming plans.

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
tac 1, ems, and wcso are now on a new 300' tower at the old wayne cc campus on eighth street which is off of wayne memorial drive. that will be the main site for the trs.

ts548

So why won't Harris P25 trunked radios work on this Viper system? Thought P25 was open...?

The Motorola system used to run VIPER will not allow anyone other then Motorola and EFJ on it. They didn't really want to let EFJ on it but I believe they were forced to.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I was talking to my EFJ Friend and he advised me that Mecklenburg was starting to allow EF Johnson on there system.

He advised me that most Motorola Systems are starting to allow this.

He also advised they were having a time trying to convince Rowan County to allow them on their system.

I think it is a way for mother M to make more money and get richer.

I like Motorola. I am a real fan of them, but with the way the economy is today you need reliable communications at a reasonable cost.

By the way I have looked at the new EF Johnson mobiles and they are awesome. I especially like the new lightning trade mark display they offer.

If you look at the EFJ Mobile and a Motorola XTL-2500 control head they look identical, with the exception of the name.

Heck I am looking at the EFJ Mobile for a replacement for my Motorola Spectras when it comes time to replace them.

Just my thoughts

David

jthorpe

Radiofan1,

To answer your question?

The two vendors are:

Motorola & EF Johnson

I know an EFJ Dealer in my area that already has them on the system

He also swears that the audio quality is better than Motorola. He sent me a video clip of a test that was done, the only problem is that the test was done using a digital scanner instead of an actual radio. On top of that, programming the EFJ is somewhat of a nightmare. There is no such thing as drag and drop in their programming software. For any of you who program these radios, you know how much of an issue that can be.

Having said that, the EFJ will work fine, and the audio is good. Again, my own personal opinion based on MANY things, it doesn't come close to the Moto.

I find that a little hard to believe, then again I do not have an EFJ to compare it with my Motorola

He also told me that he has the SysKeys to program talkgroups and frequencies on the Viper System.

I told him, you must be doing something right because not everybody is lucky to have those.

David

I've tested XTS5000, 2500 and some XTL's side by side to EFJ and IMO the EFJ doesn't even come close audiowise. Again, this is only my opinion. And for any of you who program these things for a living, you'll understand how wonderful the drag and drop feature is in Moto CPS. EFJ doesn't have that. You have to type it all in, one by one when making a new codeplug. Takes something that could last for an hour into a day. Again, this is just my own personal opinion.

Last edited:

KM4WLV

Last I heard from the system manager(s) here in Rowan there is no way they will be letting any EFJ radio onto the system. I was told they have an agreement with Motorola that they wouldn't. How true that is I don't know........

CFP387

He also advised they were having a time trying to convince Rowan County to allow them on their system.

You'll find that you'd be very hard pressed trying to convince Rowan County to do anything that's either cost effective, pratical, or anything that even remotely makes any sense at all. Just ask Daniel!

FD5722 said:
Last I heard from the system manager(s) here in Rowan there is no way they will be letting any EFJ radio onto the system. I was told they have an agreement with Motorola that they wouldn't. How true that is I don't know........

Of course they won't. Those clowns are married to Motorola and Motorola will be the only radio on the system. The agreement with Motorola might be a verbal or written one: I'm really not sure about that.

What I am sure about though is that it's pretty clear that the new digital radios won't penetrate the walls of the new high school. That was proven back during the hostage drill a few weeks back. [sarcasm] Sounds like we need more FG talkgroups! [/sarcasm] :)

WA4MJF

Interesting about Rowan County. Usually when a guvment buys a system, it has to be open to any item that meets the specs of the bid. That way they're not tied to a single vendor and can accept low bid that meets specs. Now a bid can be written so that only one vendor can bid and meet specs, been there and done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.