WBCQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Wondering why I've not heard anything on 9330kHz lately..... or is it just me?

cralt

Wondering why I've not heard anything on 9330kHz lately..... or is it just me?
AW said on his friday show they are re-tuning to add 11, 15 and maybe 17mhz in addition to 9mhz. They also hired a company to set it up for all automatic aiming and beam/freq change. With the move every hour they need a human to sit there and manually aim/adjust it 24 times a day.
They are also having AC problems. The water cooling is fine but they underestimated the room/cabinet requirements so they are adding more air capacity. It seems most people who own a 500KW transmitter don't actually try and run it 24/7 at full power.

He also says they are turning up another transmitter on 6160 with 50KW which should be up in the coming weeks for hire.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Excellent! Thanks for the update. I can't hear them down here in west central Texas. I can occasionally hear them on 7490, but not often enough for me to check that freq on a regular basis. They need more antennas and power to cover the US continent.

Yeah, I would imagine that 24/7 is quite a challenge. Thanks again!

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Any updates on when the additional antenna tuning will be completed and 9330kHz back on the air? I can't hear the other WBCQ freqs so any updates are greatly appreciated.

cralt

I'll try and tune in to his show tomorrow and see if he talks about it. It is normally on 7490,5130,3265 on Fridays 00:00 utc/8pm EST. Also I am sure if you click "listen live" on WBCQ The Planet – Worldwide International Shortwave you can here it via the internet.

I did notice they list 11705 and 15180 on their website now.
I can hear them testing the announced 6160 "low power" 50kw service now. OK signal but the noise is really bad today.

cralt

On his show tonight he said superstation automation/tuning should be done by "later in august"
6160 is staying and pointed to mexico city so it should have good coverage across the USA. 6160 is the old 9330 transmitter retuned. Says if you buy a few hours prices will be around 20bux/hr. He is hoping to attract some of the pirates that like 6mhz and streamers with those prices.
I heard 'Voice Of The Report Of The Week' on it yesterday.

cralt

AW talked about the latest snag tonight on his show.
Ampagon looks like they have gone bankrupt. $1/2million of spare parts and no documentation or schematics have been delivered. For now they are stuck on 9330 because the computer system is priproitarty and they can't get support. The whole system was paid in full months ago so it sounds like it is turning in to a mess new. The company who brought the assets said they would deliver the spares but for support going forward they may be SOL.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I have a feeling AW will make it work. May not be all that is expected, but he has his ways of getting things done even if he has to use baling wire and duct tape.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm, 9330 is live right now. Not sure where the programming is from.... maybe AW other local station.... playing country....

cralt

KIXX-FM is the programming
Ya they are testing again. Hearing AW on his show now on my DX440 inside the house with the whip collapsed.
He says the antenna is pointed at 245 true.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
They were strong into central Ohio today. +40 at times.

--
Mike

autovon

Ø
9330 at times up to 60 over S9 here this evening. Didn't stick around to listen to the programing...

Mike445

9339 was booming in this evening. I had it on in my car. I have the BST-1 car shortwave and it’s fantastic!
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.