Weird Antenna (what is it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX904

This antenna is set up beihnd my brother in law's house down in West Palm Beach, Florida. Our best guess is that it is some sort of improvised short wave antenna. What say you?

66340733.QYwD2rhG.WeirdAntenna.jpg

mcema699

Yes, UHF-TV

Hmmm,

This made me go back into the history books.

The picture is of a bowtie with wire screen.

The Radio Shack version had horizontal elements behind the director instead of the screen.
The bowties on the RS were simple wire elements. RS did sell a top of set 2 bowtie like the outside one in the picture.

The 1971 Allied (yes, it was ARS till 1973)Radio Shack catalog had a 4 bay with a 70 mile range for 4.95. In 1978 it had gone up to 7.95 and in 1988 (the last year I could quickly find), it was going for 11.95.

The Allied catalog also had a 7 bay for 12.95 with a claimed range of up to 100 miles.

Lobstah_Guy

Tv Antenna

I guess with the advent of cable TV, most of the younger people have no idea what an outdoor TV antenna is....LOL!!!!!!!!!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Lobstah_Guy said:
I guess with the advent of cable TV, most of the younger people have no idea what an outdoor TV antenna is....LOL!!!!!!!!!

Exactly! :lol: I have one of those in my neighborhood as well - a blast from the past!

gcgrotz

They are good antennas, good f-b ratio but not real sharp in front. That's why HDTVer types are installing them.

DX904

Thanks guys. The answer makes a lot of sense as the neighborhood that my in-laws live in is still pretty heavily populated by TV antennas, and Sat Dishes.

Lobstah_Guy said:

Hey now. You calling me young? Thanks! :D I am familiar with TV antennas, just not the style seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.