Weird Conversation On 408.2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
First off, 408.2000 is as far as I know Federal Protective Services, but the traffic sounds more like U.S. Marshals ... although no USMS conversation I have ever heard.

About 7 minutes ago, at 09:50, the transmission was two voices speaking to "Control." I have not heard Control used for USMS or FPS. The two men were saying they had eyes on two, then one asking Control to notify CSP and local PD to stay away, give them room to work, not loiter to attempt to assist. Control replied they'd made the notifications and "Happy Hunting."

Very very odd conversation and I listen to the Feds all the time for work.

Anyone else heard anything on 408.2000, NAC 201 around here? I can't recall ever hearing it active on the CT Shoreline and didn't even know repeaters existed for it around New London.

ecps92

408.2000 is the New England (Region 1) wide-area Repeater network.

You could have been hearing anything FPS related from Burlington Vermont over to Augusta Maine, down to Boston, Worcester, Springfield Mass into Rhode Island or Connecticut.

FPS does also handle exterior duties at the Federal Courts, so it might have been US Court Security (USM) working with FPS

Control might be the Local (Business Hour) Dispatch where the MegaCenter in Phili is the over-all Larger Dispatch Center

First off, 408.2000 is as far as I know Federal Protective Services, but the traffic sounds more like U.S. Marshals ... although no USMS conversation I have ever heard.

About 7 minutes ago, at 09:50, the transmission was two voices speaking to "Control." I have not heard Control used for USMS or FPS. The two men were saying they had eyes on two, then one asking Control to notify CSP and local PD to stay away, give them room to work, not loiter to attempt to assist. Control replied they'd made the notifications and "Happy Hunting."

Very very odd conversation and I listen to the Feds all the time for work.

Anyone else heard anything on 408.2000, NAC 201 around here? I can't recall ever hearing it active on the CT Shoreline and didn't even know repeaters existed for it around New London.

sefrischling

Bill ,

I know the frequency covers the whole of New England. I hear it in a few cities, but never down here, by New London CT. I have it in my radio s "US FPS - NE."

The asking for CSP to stay away, makes me think it was somewhere local where the Connecticut State Police are both everywhere and act as Resident Troopers or provide total policing coverage in some towns. Even in New London or Groton that have relatively sizable police departments, you still see CSP at scenes. We have no FPS around here at all. I do hear USMS at times, and have heard them ask for local PDs to stay away for a period of time ... so this one is a head scratcher. FPS is not investigative in the same way FBI, ICE, USMS are investigative, I have never heard them on a stakeout, other departments handle that.

I listen to Feds nearly daily for work, never heard "contro"l used in Hartford, New Haven or Providence, where there are FPS (or in Boston, Spfld, NYC, Philly, DC)

ecps92

You would be suprised at where they Patrol/Respond, many Buildings that don't look like anything but a warehouse, do contain Federal Operations and Alarm Responses.

It's been awhile for being in the New London/Groton area, but have heard the 408.2000 in use.

Bill ,

I know the frequency covers the whole of New England. I hear it in a few cities, but never down here, by New London CT. I have it in my radio s "US FPS - NE."

The asking for CSP to stay away, makes me think it was somewhere local where the Connecticut State Police are both everywhere and act as Resident Troopers or provide total policing coverage in some towns. Even in New London or Groton that have relatively sizable police departments, you still see CSP at scenes. We have no FPS around here at all. I do hear USMS at times, and have heard them ask for local PDs to stay away for a period of time ... so this one is a head scratcher. FPS is not investigative in the same way FBI, ICE, USMS are investigative, I have never heard them on a stakeout, other departments handle that.

I listen to Feds nearly daily for work, never heard "contro"l used in Hartford, New Haven or Providence, where there are FPS (or in Boston, Spfld, NYC, Philly, DC)

sefrischling

Bill,

I hear DoD Police and sub-base PD around here regularly, I hear CBP, USMS, FBI, DEA, ATF and obviously Amtrak PD, FPS would be a new one. I'm going to keep it on for a while see if it comes up again. First time in 10 years of living here, and 13 years over covering federal agencies as a journalist, that I have heard that frequency here.

I could use more Feds around here, FBI and DEA are really boring around here.

ecps92

Suprised that missing from the Alphabet was ICE, CG (VHF and UHF), ACoE, IRS, USPS and FAA - CT has always been the missing duck in the New England monitoring (Like VT) as they are either a unique entity or belong to another region (FBI VT thru NY) and (FBI CT all alone, between New England and NY)

New London has always been a good spot for a weekend monitoring trip, to cover NY, CT and RI

With the VHF re-banding, I hope everyone is not relying on the ole published channels and actively searching as they move Repeaters (inputs/outputs)

Bill,

I hear DoD Police and sub-base PD around here regularly, I hear CBP, USMS, FBI, DEA, ATF and obviously Amtrak PD, FPS would be a new one. I'm going to keep it on for a while see if it comes up again. First time in 10 years of living here, and 13 years over covering federal agencies as a journalist, that I have heard that frequency here.

I could use more Feds around here, FBI and DEA are really boring around here.

sefrischling

Bill,

I still lump ICE in with CBP, although I know they are a separate agency. USCG I hear all day long, but they operate in a very different capacity. Army Engineers have no bearing on what I do for work, nor does the IRS or USPS.

The shift over the past few years, with many agencies moving to unified systems, like USMS now just using the DOJ system, has made things easier in some ways, but also more challenging to track down who us using what frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.