West Seneca is going to Saia Net

Pongagt

If anyone is still around can you please see if you can help me. I bought the update for my SDS100 and thought i had it programmed with Sentinel but when i went to West Seneca for community days last night i couldn't pick up anything on any of the 3 channels. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• 20240622_231254LR.jpg
    20240622_231254LR.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 17

k2hz

Database Admin
If anyone is still around can you please see if you can help me. I bought the update for my SDS100 and thought i had it programmed with Sentinel but when i went to West Seneca for community days last night i couldn't pick up anything on any of the 3 channels. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.
The screen shot shows you are in Site Hold on the Angelica site so you were receiving no signal. You need to select the proper local site.
Then the top lines of the display should show bars of signal strength and CON+ when receiving the Control Chanel and flash the Slot# with activity.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The screen shot shows you are in Site Hold on the Angelica site so you were receiving no signal. You need to select the proper local site.
Then the top lines of the display should show bars of signal strength and CON+ when receiving the Control Chanel and flash the Slot# with activity.
Make sure in sentinal you turned West Seneca on to be scanned, also make sure it is selected in lists to scan on the scanner. Also go edit the sites to only receive Seneca one site unless you are in the North east part of town, then you can also include the Lancaster site

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Make sure in sentinal you turned West Seneca on to be scanned, also make sure it is selected in lists to scan on the scanner. Also go edit the sites to only receive Seneca one site unless you are in the North east part of town, then you can also include the Lancaster site. FYI: You may get hassled if walking or driving around with your scanner in NYS.

Pongagt

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think i have it programmed right now but i have only heard two short transmissions in the times i tried it. Maybe i live too far away being in West Amherst. I did try hooking up my base antenna to it but it didn't help. I have it scanning Seneca One and Lancaster. It was stopping on one or the other which leads me to believe there were transmissions that i was missing. I mostly only saw one bar on what i believe was the signal level.

I remember the NY law regarding scanners from the 70's when i had a Regency and Unimetrics Digiscan scanner. The law stipulates vehicle that are equipped with scanners. I'm not sure how that would apply to portable scanners not plugged into the car and not even turned on but everyone knows the way cops can use the law to harass you if they want. I would never consent to a search so they can make something up to search my car or get a scanner sniffing dog. If the courts prosecute the law like that it sounds like it would be illegal to even deliver a scanner. I guess the scanner companies don't have the money to pay lobby people enough to get the law changed. It is one of the laws that the cops can use to harass people if they want.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
and this is how these conversations start getting wayyyyy off topic
Replying to off-topic stuff instead of ignoring it is yet another way. And yes, I'm now contributing to it as well. See how that works? Just ignore and move on is the best advice, no need to engage.

k2hz

Database Admin
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think i have it programmed right now but i have only heard two short transmissions in the times i tried it. Maybe i live too far away being in West Amherst. I did try hooking up my base antenna to it but it didn't help. I have it scanning Seneca One and Lancaster. It was stopping on one or the other which leads me to believe there were transmissions that i was missing. I mostly only saw one bar on what i believe was the signal level.

I remember the NY law regarding scanners from the 70's when i had a Regency and Unimetrics Digiscan scanner. The law stipulates vehicle that are equipped with scanners. I'm not sure how that would apply to portable scanners not plugged into the car and not even turned on but everyone knows the way cops can use the law to harass you if they want. I would never consent to a search so they can make something up to search my car or get a scanner sniffing dog. If the courts prosecute the law like that it sounds like it would be illegal to even deliver a scanner. I guess the scanner companies don't have the money to pay lobby people enough to get the law changed. It is one of the laws that the cops can use to harass people if they want.
You need to be on a site that you are in range of and you will only hear Talk Groups that are active on the site that you are monitoring. So to monitor West Seneca you need to be in range of a site they are likely to be active on. The topic has been beat to death on here but I will mention it again for your benefit. Talk Groups are active only on sites where a subscriber unit is currently registered so there is no particular site they will always be on. But, generally they will be on the site closest to where they normally operate. So, Seneca One and Lancaster are a good bet for West Seneca most of the time. And, if you can not receive those sites, you probably will not hear them.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber

OT, but you asked.
Various courts around the state have convicted based on the presence of a scanner in the vehicle. One bizarre case in Kenmore, NY, involved someone being arrested for transporting a newly purchased scanner with receipt to his home. Basically, if the police don't like it, you can't do it.