West Seneca is going to Saia Net

Rabid716

What's the scientific way to know if it's encrypted? Wait to hear a request on the dispatch channel to switch an incident over to channel 2, then wait to see if you hear anything on that channel?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What's the scientific way to know if it's encrypted? Wait to hear a request on the dispatch channel to switch an incident over to channel 2, then wait to see if you hear anything on that channel?

If you hear dispatch say go to 2, and you go to 2, and hear nothing, could be enc or could be you don't have channel 2 programmed correctly.

Not sure what your monitoring with but some scanners make a quick blip of that distinct enc sound. Some just flash enc. Sdr software will give a visual indication.

k2hz

Database Admin
The fact you don't hear anything can have a lot of reasons and is not a basis for assuming encryption. A RRDB submission for a TG should be based on facts about the type of encryption as observed on DSD+ or similar. In this case there seems to be strong evidence from reliable sources that it is not encrypted.

k2hz

Database Admin
How do you know that "Channel 2" refers to TG513702? It could be an "off net" conventional channel and possibly simplex or it could be an unknown TG. You can't jump to conclusions just because you can't hear something on a frequency or TG you assume it should be on.

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
How do you know that "Channel 2" refers to TG513702? It could be an "off net" conventional channel and possibly simplex or it could be an unknown TG. You can't jump to conclusions just because you can't hear something on a frequency or TG you assume it should be on.
I agree, don't jump to conclusions. W. Seneca hasn't been on the system long enough to develop any patterns of use, but in this particular case, TG 513702 would be a safe bet it's CH2, and unencrypted.

Rabid716

I am noticing that maybe 25% of the time DSD+FL/FMP24 misses the initial 1-2 seconds of a WS radio call with the 1 SDR dongle setup, where it sits on the CC and then jumps on a frequency as needed. This is most noticeable when the WS TG has been quiet for a bit. I'm thinking that it can't tune/jump fast enough as a solo setup. Is there a good chance that this wouldn't happen with 2 SDR dongles (the traditional setup of 1 SDR sitting on CC, 1 SDR always jumping)?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I am noticing that maybe 25% of the time DSD+FL/FMP24 misses the initial 1-2 seconds of a WS radio call with the 1 SDR dongle setup, where it sits on the CC and then jumps on a frequency as needed. This is most noticeable when the WS TG has been quiet for a bit. I'm thinking that it can't tune/jump fast enough as a solo setup. Is there a good chance that this wouldn't happen with 2 SDR dongles (the traditional setup of 1 SDR sitting on CC, 1 SDR always jumping)?
On my SDS 100, WS PD1 uses 3 of the 4 CC channel frequencies most of the time. the CC that has been used the least is 424.875.

So for dsd+ fmp24 to work correctly it should be setup to scan all the control channels.

I have not figured out how to do that yet.

Rabid716

On my SDS 100, WS PD1 uses 3 of the 4 CC channel frequencies most of the time. the CC that has been used the least is 424.875.

So for dsd+ fmp24 to work correctly it should be setup to scan all the control channels.

I have not figured out how to do that yet.
Great point Wackyracer, thanks for comparing this against your SDS.

I'm in the same boat with my setup and that could be why I'm missing some initial transmissions.

For me, it seems that DSD+ is commanding FMP24 to sit at only 1 CC at idle (424.425 for me); it never uses any other CC. DSD+ fires up and hunts for control channels for a few seconds, then decides it likes 424.425 and only uses that one.

It could very well be a limitation of a SDR setup vs. a true scanner setup. I do not remember seeing any tutorials where multiple CCs are scanned with a SDR setup, even with 2 dongles instead of 1. Would love to see if anyone else has any insight on this. :)

cg

Premium Subscriber
For DSDPlus FL, there is an option under the Control tab called Hunt for Lost Control Channels. You would choose that and then in the next choice, pick the dwell time for searching the known Control Channels.

Rabid716

For DSDPlus FL, there is an option under the Control tab called Hunt for Lost Control Channels. You would choose that and then in the next choice, pick the dwell time for searching the known Control Channels.

Thanks cg! That seems to only work upon the initial startup of DSD+FL/FMP24. Once it finds a CC it just stays locked on that one CC. It does not bounce around to other CCs. Is that normal behavior?

cg

Premium Subscriber
If the CC drops, it will search the channels in the .Frequencies file for that system & site. It will pause for the time you have set looking for active CC then continue.

Rabid716

WSPD had a few officers briefly switch to "Channel 2" this morning for a building alarm sweep which fortunately ended up being nothing.

Channel 2 was supposed to be TG 513702 however I heard nothing come across.

Did anyone hear any channel 2 (TG 513702) communications this morning? The event would have been around 9:30-9:50am.

I noticed I did not have encrypted call following enabled in DSD+ so I can't tell if that channel did end up having encryption enabled following the discussion we had in this thread a few months back.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
WSPD had a few officers briefly switch to "Channel 2" this morning for a building alarm sweep which fortunately ended up being nothing.

Did anyone hear any channel 2 (TG 513702) communications this morning? The event would have been around 9:30-9:50am.

I noticed I did not have encrypted call following enabled in DSD+ so I can't tell if that channel did end up having encryption enabled following the discussion we had in this thread a few months back.
I don't have any hits on ch 2 since 12/15 but I have been playing with settings a lot, Got dsd+ fast lane following WSPD CH1 (Holding on the talkgroup 513701) really well off the lancaster site (less frequencies and traffic compared to Seneca one tower). Still working on getting fastlane to scan 2 sites (Seneca one and Lancaster), once I do that, I should hear 99.9% of the calls on CH1.

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber

There was no traffic on WSPD CH2 today

Rabid716

Thanks Wackyracer and Trbogeek!

That leads me to wonder if WSPD CH2 is no longer TG 513702 :unsure: They definitely switched a few cars over to CH2 this morning... now it remains a mystery as to where they went. o_O