• AOR

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Icom

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

I can't vote because I also PREFER different brands for different reasons, as well as own different brands. Until one scanner by one brand does everything better than all the others for my needs, I'll always require a mix.

This type of poll would work better with check boxes instead of radio buttons (no pun intended).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Uniden and GRE are 100% of today's scanner manufacturers. Icom, AOR, Yaesu/Standard, and Alinco (now GRE associated) are receiver class (read slow at scanning by today's standards). Radio Shack has scanner radios manufactured for them by GRE and Uniden OEM or Radio Shack sells the GRE and Uniden label directly (or via the internet).

So for scanners, I prefer Uniden and GRE :D

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Just curious to know what brands are most popular! I'm a trusted Uniden user myself.

I use a Uniden . I have other Uniden scanners but mostly use only the one .

The other Uniden scanners are old and I do not use it much.

I mostly use the base one .

SlyFerret

My dad had a couple of Radio Shack scanners when I was growing up. An old model that you had to put crystals in, and a slightly newer non-trunking solid state scanner.

When I bought my first scanner about 10 years ago, Radio Shack was my first thought, since I was used to using their scanners already. I bought myself a Pro-93 Dual trunking scanner, and have been very happy with it. I still use it daily at work, and it still works like a champ.

Based on my experience with the Pro-93, I stuck with Radio Shack for my next purchase. On "Cyber Monday" this year, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Pro-106. So far, I'm very happy.

-SF

Last edited:

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
I have two of the original BCD 396T's and one GRE PSE 500. I general use it for bad weather situations like last Monday afternoon/evening when my area had snow and icing.

kf7yn

I agree it's hard to vote because each scanner has a particular function.
GRE/Radio Shack; PSR-500, Pro-197, Pro-96, Pro-2042.
Uniden; BCD796D and HP1 w/extreme upgrade.

The Uniden 796 and Pro-2042 are my full-time Trunker setup. My Pro-197 is mostly does duty on conventional VHF/UHF scanning & searching along with some trunking. My HP1 is my vehicle scanner, it has RAM windshield mount and GPS option. Pro-96 is my 'walkin around' scanner and the PSR-500 does nightstand and road trip duty with the HP1.

Andrewc65

Uniden & Motorola

I currently have a Uniden for my trunking and a Motorola APX 7000 for my police duty. These both work great and when I turn in my radio I can still listen to the police frequency when I am off duty. These are great and they work great too.

scannersnstuff

uniden:

bcd996xt
bct-15
bc898t
bcd396xt
bc145xt
bc145xt

gre:

psr-400
psr-500
psr-700

radioshack:

pro-82
pro-82
pro-137

icom:

ic-r2

future: analog <1>

uniden bc125at/psr-120/psr-310

future: digital. whatever does digital/phase II/simulcast <well>.

Last edited by a moderator:

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Grew up on Radio Shack scanners. For years now, have had GRE scanners. Now using GRE PSR-500 and -800. Use a PRO-2055 for MILAIR, but looking to change over to GRE PSR-410 or similar.

I don't think I will jump to Uniden, but I could be persuaded....

I like Don Starr's WINxx software (I think I have owned all of them). Once you get used to something, it's hard to change...and easy to transfer (copy and paste) into a new scanner.

I've had about 10 scanners over the years and they've all been RadioShack. My PRO-2036 goes under the RadioShack name but was made by Uniden and is a pain to program compared to the others.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've had about every brand of scanner there ever was, including 2 Yupiterus, but I tend to like the GRE built radios better than the Uniden ones. I sold my 396 soon after I bought it, I hated the audio on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.