What comes after encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wphm449

With encryption becoming more and more popular, what will us scanner hobbiests do after most (or all, for that matter) public saftey communications go silent?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...what will us scanner hobbiests do after most (or all, for that matter) public saftey communications go silent?

Listen to aircraft, listen to railroads, listen to boats, listen to commercial traffic, listen to public safety that won't or can't go encrypted, listen to hams, listen to utilities, listen to press services i.e. tv and radio station news gathering. Etcetera. Etcetera. Etcetera.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
What will come about is "underground" encryption busters and you will be able to listen in. Hey, no one thought they could put a man on the moon or Obama could be president...... :D

burawski

Probably will be something similar with regards to the way Prohibition (of alcohol) was during the 1920's and 30's. I imagine with the technology out there that some systems will be penetrated. It's happened in Australia recently from what I've been reading. It is all illegal of course. I don't condone it but understand why it will probably come to pass. The whole subject can become pretty acrimonious as many people have differing and very strong feelings on this subject.

Thayne

Listen to Simon & Garfunkle sing "Sound of Silence?"

Then listen to the sound of Streaming fade out

Then we can go out and fish in the stream in peace.

The End :p

Last edited:

trace1

With encryption becoming more and more popular, what will us scanner hobbiests do after most (or all, for that matter) public saftey communications go silent?

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again"

Sorry... just couldn't help myself!!! ;)

There will always be something to 'listen" to, not everyone will go encrypted. So I guess this really isn't "The End"...

But on the other hand, IF and that is a mighty BIG "IF", we just might all have to "Break on Through (to the Other Side)"!!!

W2NJS

Good luck on "breaking" encryption codes. Agencies usually change them quite often, some even daily, via a system known as OTAR (Over The Air Rekeying).

ecps92

Hmmm
Trunking was going to be the end of Scanning, I'm still listening
P25 was going to be the end of Scanning, I'm still listening.
:D

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Lots of lawsuites due to injury or death because the government failed to get the information out in a timely manner.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Lots of lawsuites due to injury or death because the government failed to get the information out in a timely manner.

Why is that? Does an encrypted message take longer to transmit?

To be honest I don't understand why they all don't use it, although I'm glad they don't. I can remember many many moons ago my local PD would "Go to red" and then would be unreadable for that conversation.

Thayne

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again"

Sorry... just couldn't help myself!!! ;)

There will always be something to 'listen" to, not everyone will go encrypted. So I guess this really isn't "The End"...

But on the other hand, IF and that is a mighty BIG "IF", we just might all have to "Break on Through (to the Other Side)"!!!

Good one, gotta say I totally agree--I am just a natural pessimist, that way I am never disappointed :lol:

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
Why is that? Does an encrypted message take longer to transmit?

To be honest I don't understand why they all don't use it, although I'm glad they don't. I can remember many many moons ago my local PD would "Go to red" and then would be unreadable for that conversation.

1) You are a police officer and your coded radio fails to work. You get killed or injured.
2) You are a police officer .The town next your yours has a coded radio system and different then your dept. radio system . Due to this you do not hear a BOLO that the bad guys are headed your way with machine guns shooting everything in sight. You get killed or injured.
3)You live in Anytown with a coded radio system :
a) There is a hazmat spill with high winds blowing your way and Anytown fails to send out a alert or can not get a alert out.
b)There are bad guys headed to your part of Anytown and you can not hear the BOLO. You or your family gets injured or killed.
c) There is major storm headed your way but Anytown tv & radio stations or you with a scanner can not hear about it because of the coded radio system.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
1) You are a police officer and your coded radio fails to work. You get killed or injured.
2) You are a police officer .The town next your yours has a coded radio system and different then your dept. radio system . Due to this you do not hear a BOLO that the bad guys are headed your way with machine guns shooting everything in sight. You get killed or injured.
a) There is a hazmat spill with high winds blowing your way and Anytown fails to send out a alert or can not get a alert out.
b)There are bad guys headed to your part of Anytown and you can not hear the BOLO. You or your family gets injured or killed.
c) There is major storm headed your way but Anytown tv & radio stations or you with a scanner can not hear about it because of the coded radio system.

A bit harsh but OK, I truly don't understand why encryption is or isn't used full time, hence my question.

Other than incompatibility with other systems (and there are towns in this situation without encryption as well) any radio can fail, is it more likely with an encrypted radio?

trace1

And if you’re a Police Officer and your conventional VHF/UHF (non-digital, non-coded) radio fails to work and you get killed, who are you going to blame or what suggestion(s) would you make to improve or ensure that this would never happen?

Two agencies with non-compatible radio systems have a few other ways to keep each other informed about BOLO’s and other important information…

One is called a telephone! And there are some more ways…

If Anytown fails to or can not get an alert out about a hazmat spill with high winds blowing your way has little or nothing to do with a communications system being coded or non-coded…

Does everyone in Anytown carry a scanner with them so they’d be able to hear that BOLO if it were given out on a non-coded system?

I certainly would hope that the local TV & Radio stations in Anytown has a better way of monitoring the weather rather than only relying on monitoring the local Law Enforcement, Public Safety, EMA frequencies on a scanner…

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
A bit harsh but OK, I truly don't understand why encryption is or isn't used full time, hence my question.

Other than incompatibility with other systems (and there are towns in this situation without encryption as well) any radio can fail, is it more likely with an encrypted radio?

Yes with a encrypted radio there is more of a chance of something going wrong because you have another layer of technology added to the radio system.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yes with a encrypted radio there is more of a chance of something going wrong because you have another layer of technology added to the radio system.

Your arguments against encryption are weak, uninformed, and not based on reality. The fact is, hobbyists are against it because they can't listen. Agencies that use it, use it because they perceive that they will be safer against the threats they feel they face. Their perception of safety trumps your desire to listen.

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
And if you’re a Police Officer and your conventional VHF/UHF (non-digital, non-coded) radio fails to work and you get killed, who are you going to blame or what suggestion(s) would you make to improve or ensure that this would never happen?

Two agencies with non-compatible radio systems have a few other ways to keep each other informed about BOLO’s and other important information…

One is called a telephone! And there are some more ways…

If Anytown fails to or can not get an alert out about a hazmat spill with high winds blowing your way has little or nothing to do with a communications system being coded or non-coded…

Does everyone in Anytown carry a scanner with them so they’d be able to hear that BOLO if it were given out on a non-coded system?

I certainly would hope that the local TV & Radio stations in Anytown has a better way of monitoring the weather rather than only relying on monitoring the local Law Enforcement, Public Safety, EMA frequencies on a scanner…

Trace1,
Would rather be a police officer with a radio system like open sky or VHF/UHF conventional radio system?
Radio encryption hampers policing, sources say | WJLA.com
I have heard many times when the cops or dispatchers will talk to the people in scanner land because they need help.
There times when things have happened and No DC alert have gone out.
Would you rather live in ANYTOWN with a coded radio system or non coded system where you can know what is going on ?
Would rather live a in a place where your only source of information is given to you by the government?

Status
Not open for further replies.