What does "FAY-dek" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrobinso84

Hi all,

I'm a listener in Phoenix, AZ. Most every automated voice transmission includes a code that sounds like FADEC (phonetically "FAY-dek") and a number, usually 7, 8 or 9.

I can't find any reference to this, nor do I know if I'm even spelling it correctly. Does anyone know what it means and what the numbers correspond to?

Thanks!

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
So when a station gets a call, the automated dispatch system gives the call description and at the end it might say, "Respond on K-DECK 3." This means that the firefighter/paramedics need to switch to that channel for this run in order to talk to the human dispatcher and any other units that might be responding to that same call. K-DECK 1 is the Dispatch channel. That's the one with the automated dispatch.

monitor142

Deck is probably terminology that they have been using for a long time. It's similar to the Zones or Banks in a radio; a group of channels or talkgroups (16 or so on a portable) then grouped into different banks. Most of the new public safety tier portables have well over 1,000 channel capability, some can do several thousand. That would end up being some significant "turning" of the channel knob until it fell off... : )

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
Deck is probably terminology that they have been using for a long time. It's similar to the Zones or Banks in a radio; a group of channels or talkgroups (16 or so on a portable) then grouped into different banks. Most of the new public safety tier portables have well over 1,000 channel capability, some can do several thousand. That would end up being some significant "turning" of the channel knob until it fell off... : )
Oh, okay. It's kind of just the DMA setup on the radio like we have on scanners. That makes sense. Thank you. 👍🙂

rrobinso84

Sweet! Thanks for the replies! I often hear "K-Deck 7 (or 8 or 9)" and I was thinking it was like "Code 1 (or 2 or 3)" which usually indicates a direction to a police unit on how to approach the scene (quietly or sirens blazing).

But if K-Deck is just a reply channel--then I guess it wouldn't have any correlation with the seriousness of the call--just another channel for the unit to reply back on.

My mind can rest easier now. I was going bonkers trying to understand the correlation! Thanks!

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
Sweet! Thanks for the replies! I often hear "K-Deck 7 (or 8 or 9)" and I was thinking it was like "Code 1 (or 2 or 3)" which usually indicates a direction to a police unit on how to approach the scene (quietly or sirens blazing).

But if K-Deck is just a reply channel--then I guess it wouldn't have any correlation with the seriousness of the call--just another channel for the unit to reply back on.

My mind can rest easier now. I was going bonkers trying to understand the correlation! Thanks!
Any time. : )

KB7MIB

Phoenix and Mesa fire system radio decks.

A-deck is Phoenix system fire and hazmat incidents on VHF-High.
B-deck is Mesa system large fire, and hazmat incidents on VHF-High.
C-deck is Mesa system EMS and small fires in the TOPAZ RWC
D-deck may have several paramedic to hospital TG's for the Phoenix system. All encrypted.
E-deck in the Phoenix system is administrative. Outside of Phoenix FD itself (Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, etc), E-2 through E-5 are basically the same as K-2 through K-5. I've heard small special events, training, hydrant checks, etc. Most TG's are encrypted.
F-deck is likely administrative in the Phoenix system, maybe arson investigations, etc. All encrypted.
G, H, and I-decks are the Interoperability channels. G and H are RWC trunked talkgroups (clear and encrypted respectively), and I-deck is conventional 800 MHz simplex and repeater, and a couple of unconfirmed 700 MHz conventional channels.
J-deck is unknown.
K-deck is Phoenix system EMS.
L-deck is Phoenix system special events. I've also heard law enforcement on this deck.
M-deck is unknown, however there are supposed to be some city services to public safety TG's on the RWC trunked system.
N-deck is unknown.
O(cean)-deck is clear Interoperability.

I don't know if there's anything above that.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
Phoenix and Mesa fire system radio decks.

A-deck is Phoenix system fire and hazmat incidents on VHF-High.
B-deck is Mesa system large fire, and hazmat incidents on VHF-High.
C-deck is Mesa system EMS and small fires in the TOPAZ RWC
D, E, and F vary. E-deck in the Phoenix system, outside of PFD itself (Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, etc), is administration, small special events, training, hydrant checks, etc.
G, H, and I-decks are the Interoperability channels. G and H are RWC trunked talkgroups (clear and encrypted respectively), and I-deck is conventional 800 MHz simplex and repeater, and a couple of unconfirmed 700 MHz conventional channels.
J-deck varies.
K-deck is Phoenix system EMS.
L-deck is Phoenix system special events. I've also heard law enforcement on this deck.
M-deck varies.
N-deck is unknown.
O(cean)-deck is clear Interoperability.

I don't know if there's anything above that.

John
Peoria
Thank you for that. Very informative. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.