What does NSRS Las Vegas Simulcast simulcast?

n2xlr8n

I've been monitoring/scanning for decades, but only recently began learning to scan trunked systems. I started with the Nevada Shared Radio System (NSRS), specifically Nevada Highway Patrol (NHP). I found lists of NSRS sites, talkgroups, frequencies, etc. One site is named "Las Vegas Simulcast" (Clark County). What exactly is Las Vegas Simulcast simulcasting?

The "Site Location Data" map for Las Vegas Simulcast (Nevada Shared Radio System Site: Las Vegas Simulcast) shows a "pin" icon in/near the center at 123 E Main Street along with four additional pins, all west of the 123 E Main Street site. Are those other four pins repeaters?

And what is the difference between radio traffic from the Coyote Springs site, for example, versus traffic from the Potosi site? I understand that if a mobile unit near Coyote Springs transmits, it will go through the Coyote Springs site to the dispatcher. Is that transmission also sent to other sites in Clark County? Can a dispatcher manually choose which site(s) to transmit/broadcast on?

If these are too many questions, my main question is about "Las Vegas Simulcast," so if we need to focus only on one question, that's the one.

Thanks much!

JethrowJohnson

Simulcast just means that there's multiple towers in that area that transmit the same traffic at the same time on the same frequency. As far as the individual tower sites go and whether or not they transmit traffic from other sites, I think they would but I'm not sure since I think it depends on the system and how it's set up, and I'm not familiar with that network.

n2xlr8n

Thank you for the response. Yes, I know what simulcast means. But there are 223 NSRS frequencies statewide, and some cover parts of California and Utah. I'm wondering exactly what agencies, sites, frequencies, etc. are being simulcast on the Las Vegas Simulcast site. I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thanks again!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the response. Yes, I know what simulcast means. But there are 223 NSRS frequencies statewide, and some cover parts of California and Utah. I'm wondering exactly what agencies, sites, frequencies, etc. are being simulcast on the Las Vegas Simulcast site. I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thanks again!

Here is the link to the Las Vegas simulcast site, all the frequencies listed are being simulcast when in use, all agencies affiliated on that site are being simulcast while affiliated to that site

Sites do not simulcast other sites, as each site is set up on their own, with their own frequencies, a system is made up of one or more independent sites. Users affliliate to different sites as they movein and out of an area. If you are asking if other sites on that system are simulcast you'd need to check the FCC data for each site and see if the information is listed.

robertsdoug

Feed Provider
As an update to this, most scanners do not handle simulcast very well. Only the uniden SDS scanners are specifically meant to handle simulcast. Because all of the towers in the city are transmitting the exact same content on the exact same frequency, the scanner tends to get confused, to put it non-technically. In the analog days, this wasn’t much of a problem, but with P25 digital or any digital mode, it does tend to be a problem.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast just means that there's multiple towers in that area that transmit the same traffic at the same time on the same frequency.

Thank you for the response. Yes, I know what simulcast means. But there are 223 NSRS frequencies statewide, and some cover parts of California and Utah. I'm wondering exactly what agencies, sites, frequencies, etc. are being simulcast on the Las Vegas Simulcast site.

Simulcast can be viewed as 2 things.

A site made up of multiple transmitters placed around an area that transmit the same freqs at the same exact time.

And can also mean to retransmit something on one freq, over another freq. Like here, 1 police station that is on a trunked system is being rebroadcast on another freq.

857.7125 B223 DPLSCPD 6th Pct6th Precinct Simulcast from TRSFMLaw Dispatch

Same thing here, fd low band freq is being rebroadcast over a uhf freq.

477.425480.425WQIN239RM114 DPLAmtyvlleXbndAmityville Fire simulcast of 45.200FMNFire Dispatch

n2xlr8n

As an update to this, most scanners do not handle simulcast very well. Only the uniden SDS scanners are specifically meant to handle simulcast. Because all of the towers in the city are transmitting the exact same content on the exact same frequency, the scanner tends to get confused, to put it non-technically. In the analog days, this wasn’t much of a problem, but with P25 digital or any digital mode, it does tend to be a problem.
Thanks much. The scanner I'm using for trunked is a couple of decades old.

n2xlr8n

Simulcast can be viewed as 2 things.

A site made up of multiple transmitters placed around an area that transmit the same freqs at the same exact time.

And can also mean to retransmit something on one freq, over another freq. Like here, 1 police station that is on a trunked system is being rebroadcast on another freq.

857.7125B223 DPLSCPD 6th Pct6th Precinct Simulcast from TRSFMLaw Dispatch

Same thing here, fd low band freq is being rebroadcast over a uhf freq.

477.425480.425WQIN239RM114 DPLAmtyvlleXbndAmityville Fire simulcast of 45.200FMNFire Dispatch

Make sense! Thanks much!

seaweedfalse

Premium Subscriber

My SDS hates the Analog Simulcast on this EDACS system. Sounds absolutely horrible. The other towers sound pretty bad too but Simulcast is basically unreadable. It sure does great with the SNACC though.