• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What frequencies are professional race teams using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRayfield

I may be misunderstanding you here, but having a ham license does not allow you to legally use GMRS frequencies without a GMRS license. A ham license only allows you to legally transmit on the frequencies that are allocated for amateur radio use (specified in FCC rules part 97). GMRS is licensed under FCC rules part 95. However, each person does not necessarily need a GMRS license, like with amateur radio. In your case, I think you could get one license for your family. If I'm wrong here, someone please correct me.

John Rayfield, Jr.
W0PM
Rayfield Communications

Great information thanks. I already have my ham so for me the GMRS license is not needed. My kids may need to get one though. I highly doubt anyone would bother us though. I'm sure the powers that be have way bigger fish to fry than someone operating a radio on a frequency. Back when I was a truck driver running CB drivers would run these big supped up CB radios with linear amps and all you would hear all day long on the cb was people telling them they are going to get caught and fined. Never heard of anyone actually getting bothered besides the guys on the other end of the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

I may be misunderstanding you here, but having a ham license does not allow you to legally use GMRS frequencies without a GMRS license. A ham license only allows you to legally transmit on the frequencies that are allocated for amateur radio use (specified in FCC rules part 97). GMRS is licensed under FCC rules part 95. However, each person does not necessarily need a GMRS license, like with amateur radio. In your case, I think you could get one license for your family. If I'm wrong here, someone please correct me.

John Rayfield, Jr.
W0PM
Rayfield Communications

Agreed; I am seeing a lot of recent posts encouraging illegal activity on GMRS and FRS. For example running excessive power on the FRS channels, unlicensed operation etc.

GMRS will be decimated by the FCC and industry if unlicensed activity continues. It makes no sense to me to invest in GMRS radio equipment and not get the family license that costs $60 for 5 years, a dollar a month. If FCC sees abuse and dwindling licenses it will likely move to reallocate the spectrum which is placed squarely in the middle of valuable Part 90 allocations. Even as we speak there is an NPRM being discussed which will encroach on the band edges.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

John Rayfield, Jr.
W0PM
Rayfield Communications

You are 100% correct. A ham license doesn't give you the ability to use GMRS, or any other service for that matter, except amateur radio frequencies. Sadly I have had numerous Ham operators tell me this over the last few years. Although i am happy people are still getting their ham "ticket" the online help and pushing people thru to get it without any real understanding of radios is scary. I am not saying all are wrong but between CCR and a smart phone the hobbies are falling quickly.

As for GMRS I have my license which covers my family. I dont have an issue paying the fee. I have a good repeater at a site and have had numeorus people ask if they can use it, and as soon as i tell them they need a licence they decide they don't want to use it....amazing. Maybe i should tell them for $100 they can use it for 5 years then submit the paperwork for them !

lacofdfireman

Premium Subscriber
No you didn't misunderstand me. I figured my ham license had me covered. Guess not. I'll just buy the Family GMRS license. No big deal there. Also what about MURS. Am I legal on that with Ham?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
No you didn't misunderstand me. I figured my ham license had me covered. Guess not. I'll just buy the Family GMRS license. No big deal there. Also what about MURS. Am I legal on that with Ham?

No your Ham License only covers AMATEUR RADIO Frequencies. Pardon me if this sounds harsh, but how did you get a ham radio license ? Part of the testing process is what bands and channels you can talk on. You may want to research what your amateur radio license allows you to or not to do.

As others have said MURS is license by rule. Hence you don't need a licence as long as you follow the rules.

lacofdfireman

Premium Subscriber

lacofdfireman

Premium Subscriber
No your Ham License only covers AMATEUR RADIO Frequencies. Pardon me if this sounds harsh, but how did you get a ham radio license ? Part of the testing process is what bands and channels you can talk on. You may want to research what your amateur radio license allows you to or not to do.

As others have said MURS is license by rule. Hence you don't need a licence as long as you follow the rules.

Easy. Just like a lot of others you just memorize the answers. I could have taken that test without even knowing the questions. You see the answer and that's it. I mentioned in another one of my posts that it's stupid how they have the answers out there because you learn nothing this way and some guy got all offended. Sorry. That's the way they teach it. I was told all you need to do is memorize the answers and you will learn as you go. That's my plan. So I'm on here asking questions to learn about my license. If your offended I have my license too bad. I'll keep asking questions. This is how "I" learn. Thanks for those who are helpful.

Hans13

I was told all you need to do is memorize the answers and you will learn as you go. That's my plan. So I'm on here asking questions to learn about my license. If your offended I have my license too bad. I'll keep asking questions. This is how "I" learn. Thanks for those who are helpful.

You're doing fine. Illegitimi non carborundum. ;)

lacofdfireman

Premium Subscriber
Yep a 45 year old millennial. I wanted to get my Ham license. I checked a lot of resources and everyone told me to get the answers and take the test get your license learn as you go and the old guys will help you with what you need. All you have to do is ask the questions and the ham guys would love to share their knowledge Guess not.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It would help if the questions you asked gave some indication that you had ever studied for your ham test. Knowing what frequencies your license authorizes you to transmit on is basic kindergarten-level stuff you should have had to master before you got your license.

Hans13

All you have to do is ask the questions and the ham guys would love to share their knowledge Guess not.

Keep learning and do your best to tune out the noise. The crusty curmudgeon seems to be common amongst the hammites.

lacofdfireman

Premium Subscriber
Ya. I've decided to just do that. I think for me it would be easier to learn from some local Hams then here on this forum with people that would rather bash someone for not knowing then be helpful. I'll go silent on this and just watch from the sidelines. Thanks everyone. One day I'll get this figured out. For now I'm just gonna go get my Family GMRS license and some GMRS radios and hunt using those. Seems like the easiest way.

D

DaveNF2G

As the old literacy campaign used to say, "Reading is fundamental."

Read up on the license you already have. You need to know a lot more than the answers to a few basic questions. It is also apparent that some of the answers that you "memorized" are no longer in your memory.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One day I'll get this figured out. For now I'm just gonna go get my Family GMRS license and some GMRS radios and hunt using those. Seems like the easiest way.

In many states it is not legal to hunt using radios of any kind...

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Easy. Just like a lot of others you just memorize the answers. I could have taken that test without even knowing the questions. You see the answer and that's it. I mentioned in another one of my posts that it's stupid how they have the answers out there because you learn nothing this way and some guy got all offended. Sorry. That's the way they teach it. I was told all you need to do is memorize the answers and you will learn as you go. That's my plan. So I'm on here asking questions to learn about my license. If your offended I have my license too bad. I'll keep asking questions. This is how "I" learn. Thanks for those who are helpful.

Welcome to the hobby!

A really good way to learn the rules and regulations is to read the actual FCC rules regarding amateur radio:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...ode=47:5.0.1.1.6&idno=47#47:5.0.1.1.6.1.157.1

Take your time and digest!

Also I recommend joining a local club if you haven't already and immerse yourself in their activities. You will meet fellow hams and they will welcome you into the fold. A Google search of ham radio clubs in your area should do the trick, or you can use the ARRL website (see below).

Further, the ARRL; The American Radio Relay League, is the largest ham radio organization that represents our hobby to the public and in my opinion is a good organization that is worth joining:

http://www.arrl.org

Even if you don't join, the site is chock-a-block full of useful info about our hobby. As a member you also get the monthly magazine called QST.

By the way, the ARRL publishes a lot of books. One that should be in on your shelf is The Operating Manual:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Operating-Manual-11th-Edition/

That book will answer a lot of your questions!

Again, welcome to the greatest hobby on the planet!

73 de W4PKR
Jim

cmdrwill

Nothing like a REAL mentor. Someone you can ask 'stupid questions' of and they will try to give some really practical answers.

One can read the books, take and pass the test, and still will have a very big lots to learn by doing.....

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just curious I was recently at a professional Off Road race and noticed almost all the teams were using Baofeng type radios in the pit areas for different personnel and some spotters along the course were using them also. I always thought you needed a Ham license to use these. I talked to a few guys and they said they were not hams and were using a race frequency. Now I know some of the big teams probably went through the FCC and have designated frequencies for their teams but there are no way some of these low budget teams have done this. I'm curious as to what frequencies they could use to get away with this. Also my sons Mountain bike team uses Baofeng radios for the coaches and spotters out in the course as do all the other teams. I also know that they are using some sort of private channel. How do they go about finding or getting these frequencies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Being curious myself, I went to the Rugged Radio website. They sell high power VHF and UHF radios to offroaders. They have secret frequency lists that they require a password to download. So I searched FCC database and found nothing licensed under "Rugged Radio". Reading their site further one learns that for the Baja races, the Mexican govt is apparently looking the other way regarding unlicensed radio useage. This is surprising to me. Anyway as hashed on this thread, you need an FCC license for anything other than a properly certified MURS or FRS radio. Those are low power hanheld radios with a permanently affixed antenna.

The radios sold by these racing radio firms all require an FCC license.

If you are a professional team, you should get an FCC business license permitting you itinerant usage with high power mobile radios.

If you are a family team, GMRS is probably more attractive high power solution and you can use the shared GMRS/FRS channels under your license to talk with freinds who happen to be travelling with you.

If you are a bunch of hams, who happen to be into racing, well you are already equipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.