What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadiationX

Hi all, lately i came across and freq thats supposed to be a Wildlife system and it sure as crap dont sound like it, they keep saying this " First name Adam, Lincoln, Nora, Ocean, Joseph, Union, Sam" and stuff like that if that is code how could any one learn to talk names for code that to me would seem impossible. But I know its not wildlife stuff and so what is it, any one know?

peterjmag

If you give us your location in Oklahoma it would be easier to figure out who it might be.

P.J. Maguire

A wealth of info about licensees on various frequencies can be found here:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Looking at the Oklahoma licensees on 155.250... it looks like of the 11 licensees, 10 are using the frequency for police communications. The 1 licensee that's not, the State of Oklahoma, is using it for wildlife traffic. That prolly explains why you are more likely to hear police traffic on this frequency, depending on where you are. Here's a list of the licensees:

Attachments

• 155250OK.PNG
    155250OK.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 163

Oh... and the "Adam Lincoln Nora..." is known as a "phonetic alphabet". On the radio, sometimes it's easy to mis-hear something when it's being spelled out. For example, saying the letters "D" and "B" on the radio, which can strip away some of the articulation of the speaker, can sound like "D" and "D", or "B" and "B" or "B" and "D". Using a phonetic alphabet, where a simple, but uniquely pronounced, word is assigned to each letter, helps to overcome that. Instead of saying the letters, those who are spelling things on-the-air merely speak the words assigned. It'd be real difficult to mistake "David" and "Baker" on the radio for each other.

There are different phonetic alphabets for different purposes. Perhaps the most famous is the so-called "International" phonetic alphabet, which starts out "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", "Delta", and so on. A phonetic alphabet that's in fairly common use in Oklahoma law enforcement goes like this:

Adam, Boy, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Michael, Nora, Ocean, Paul, Queen, Robert, Sam, Tom, Union, Victor, William, X-Ray, Young, Zebra

There may be variations in what words are assigned depending on where you are.

Police agencies many times need to spell out names over the air because exact matches are important in checking driver's license status and checking for warrants. For example, I don't imagine you'd be too happy being arrested on a warrant for John Smith if your name was Jon Smith.

As with all other things, learning to use a phonetic alphabet is merely the result of doing it all the time... practice makes perfect...

grack

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about anyone else, but for some reason the alpha bravo version is much easier to follow than the name version. Probably just me.

Could be because you've interacted with the AlphaBravo alphabet more than the AdamBoy alphabet. Hams and milcomm fans would tend get alot more exposure to the AlphaBravo. I've used both enough to not have a problem switching, though sometimes a word from one will "crossover" into usage with another... happens alot with "Yankee". Lol.

KD5WLX

The Alpha Bravo... version is supposed to be international (multi-language). The words aren't supposed to make sense (and aren't even pronounced properly in all cases). Some of the words in the Adam Boy... version get confused in other languages because they are common words, but pronounced completely different, causing more (rather than less) confusion.

On the other hand, I believe the US "police" version (Adam ...) is "older" and therefore was already in common use - in the US, that is.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I hear them a lot out here in Elk City, just driving thru, didn't know who they were...

Thanks!

RadiationX

Umm....ok well i live in Midwest City, Oklahoma that kinda explains it all only there are quite a few Wildlife freq in between 150 and 159.7 so im thinking the police are just over riding the wildlife ones, i listen to it all but i was wanting to really hear some stuff in that nature, i can hear the Park Rangers at Lake Thunderbird but im more interested in hearing ppl talk about nature and things of that nature. But thanks for the help

Chaos703

Here's my suggestion for you, RadiationX: Next time there is a major hunting season, program in all the frequencies listed as Wildlife or Conservation or Parks, etc. Then take a nice long drive around your local popular hunting or Game Management areas. Also program in all the Sheriff's Departments around the area you're visiting. Once you're out in the field, you will probably be able to pick up some radio traffic you may be missing in town. You can then make notes about which frequencies are used for what purpose and which frequencies aren't used at all.

You will probably discover that most Wildlife frequencies are rarely used during non-peak times or might only be used on local simplex systems. You may also discover that a lot of the Wildlife traffic is handled though the Sheriff's office.

Pack a picnic lunch and bring your g/f. You'll score points if you make it an adventure. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.