what is mode ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
what is mode and how do I know if its set right ?? 4th column in from left .

Attachments

• Screenshot (86) copy.jpg
    Screenshot (86) copy.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 571

W6KRU

Mode Conventional The received signal mode for the selected frequency. This mode may be Amplitude Modulation (AM), Frequency Modulation (FM), Narrowband Frequency Modulation (NFM), or Auto (AUTO).

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Trying to figure right settings for delaware river park service. I dont hear them alot.

teufler

try fm, then nbfm. auto would take care of you too though a slight delay in deciphiering the right band width. I think, the less the radio has toi determine, the better the radio works.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
All i know they r digital i think ...should i put that on auto as well ? Just in case im wrong ?

teufler

the mode sort of restricts the band width for receiving. Hypothetically Lets say the signal is deviating 6 mhz. Thats up 3 and down 3 because the center of the signal is 0. This is looking at a monitor or scope. If your receiver is set for a for something less than 6, you clip off some of your signal. The audio will chop . The highs and lows of the audio do not fully come through. Conversly if the signal is transmitting at 3, that 1.5 up and 1.5 doiwn and you are receiving at say 5, you get the full audio and then the radio fills in with "noise or white noise. Most scanners say digital is nbfm though there have been talks on Uniden scanners , setting at fm vice nbfm seems to clear up some of the warbling sound, or underwater sound that comes from audio on a digital system. Try nbfm, then you might try fm and see what you like. In a highly frequency congested area , nbfm may sound better

wtp

gurgle/underwater

can also be a signal reflection or not enough signal try moving the antenna/radio or even go outside.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I tried everything that i know of but im missing how to get the talkgroup number where it says group!! Any pointers ?

Attachments

• 1412034250016.jpg
    1412034250016.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 413

AC2OY

If it's the same as the GRE there is a way in the software to get to display more I would havevto play with EZ scan a little. I think the bottom menu there is a way to get the scanner to display more information or more to the point for you the talk group number. BTW what is that a new Whistler 1080?

teufler

in the ws1080 software, on the right side change trunking id mode to hex. this mighty get the group ids displayed. on the left side there is a setting for display, try the advanced setting and see what choices you have there.This is in the general setting tab. If none of this works, try the advanced features tab.under trunked systems channels, lines 3,4,5 have various settings. I think line 5 set it to radio id that might be the setting. Also you might check trunking radio tab, then in the middle of the screen, there is site details, talkgroup details. put some talk groups there, then send to scanner.

The underwater sound, try setting to fm from nbfm. I am not familar with the whistler software and can not find where the mode is changed. in the GRE 500 software, there is a setting for mode.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
great I figured it out !!! thanks !

another question. are there any settings I can mess with on my scanner to fine tune digital channels, or when I put in a digital channel the scanner does all the work in judging the best quality of sound ?

thanks.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
If it's the same as the GRE there is a way in the software to get to display more I would havevto play with EZ scan a little. I think the bottom menu there is a way to get the scanner to display more information or more to the point for you the talk group number. BTW what is that a new Whistler 1080?

yes the new 1080. been out of the scanner game for a loooong time and came back in with this . WOW scanners have changed a bit lol .

teufler

I'm sure there are some adjustments, though I have Uniden scanner, theyt are different. Uniden uses DMA programming, GREWhistler uses Object Oriented Programming. This is like the older scanners used English, The Unidens use German and the Gre Whistlers use French. RR has forums on Whistler and they might have some settings or tweaks that they have found that help. The Butel Arc 500 , I don't know if that software works for the Whistler or not, as it did for GRE. That softare can be downloaded for a 30 day trial.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
What is Mode??

To answer your question on changing what's visible/talk-groups...etc. IN the EZScan software click Advanced Features at the bottom tab. That has the scroll down selections for what you can see on what line. Same on the scanner manually, you hit Menu/scroll down to SETTINGS and scroll down till you see the area to show ID's, talk groups. I also notice you have the large "G" showing in the photo above. THAT is part of the Global attenuation feature. Hit the "att" button on the WS1080 one more time and see how the signals are. The settings for the alternating Talkgroups/system description are on the very first tab at the bottom left of the EZScan software 1st Page. Mine is set for 1.25-2.00 Display settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
To answer your question on changing what's visible/talk-groups...etc. IN the EZScan software click Advanced Features at the bottom tab. That has the scroll down selections for what you can see on what line. Same on the scanner manually, you hit Menu/scroll down to SETTINGS and scroll down till you see the area to show ID's, talk groups. I also notice you have the large "G" showing in the photo above. THAT is part of the Global attenuation feature. Hit the "att" button on the WS1080 one more time and see how the signals are. The settings for the alternating Talkgroups/system description are on the very first tab at the bottom left of the EZScan software 1st Page. Mine is set for 1.25-2.00 Display settings.

Johnnydollar2 thanks for the post. got a question for you about this scanner I like to listen to the national park service Delaware River National Park Service Rangers to be exact. when they give a quick transmission it sounds like they are talking high pitched under water but as they talk more it clears up and I can understand them cause it turns clear. any thoughts on tweaking the scanner settings to get better clarity on digital channels? Thanks

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
What is Mode??

That I don't know how to fix that unless you can extend "delay" to 3 seconds or so to get all the transmissions after it starts up. It might just be placement of the antenna or something, making sure AGC is on for the system itself. Took me a week to find the best spot on my window to get the best reception. Maybe a call to Whistler might help. I called them 2 times and got good response to questions. I'd ask about fine tuning the digital signal and what "Multi-site" threshold settings are for on the EZScan software? I know from the manual 64 is the default setting for the DSP level adapt and you can + or - the ADC and DAC gains on the scanner in Menu/settings, scroll to EncLevel -24, it's in that area. I don't know if those would do anything, it may just be the system you're listening to, the radios/system and distance. I'm liking this scanner more and more now since I know the TDMA transmissions are good outside my apartment. Still having problems with Simulcast but only in the apartment with a Cell tower across the street and fire department tower with a ton of antennas on it barely 400 yrds away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.