What scanner for Pickens County?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
That is were SDR will shine. No more for a small laptop or tablet wit a little horsepower and a dongle, but can be a steep learning curve for some. But if you want to stay in the game start learning now!
SDR is certainly the way of the future. It's my primary monitoring platform at home and at work. But it, too, has limitations. It's not portable, it's FAR from easy to set up, there's poor support for scanning analog conventional channels (no support for CTCSS/DCS squelch control), and it's difficult to scan conventional and multiple trunked systems simultaneously or consecutively. These are all things that scanners do well because they are basic scanner functions. Perhaps portable SDR devices (like Blue Tail) will mature/progress and become popular enough to compete with Uniden one day.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I was looking at the 325p2 and the 436hp.
If you only want Pickens County, the BCD325P2 will be adequate. Purchase the radio without any upgrades. After you receive the scanner, you will need to purchase the NXDN upgrade directly from Uniden which is less expensive to install yourself. You just login to my.uniden.com and register your scanner to purchase the key. The key will be emailed to you immediately. The upgrade already resides in the scanner firmware and you just enter the key to enable it. The Palmetto 800 sites in Pickens County are not simulcast so that is not an issue requiring a SDS scanner. You will need programming software. I use Butel ARC-XT Basic to program my BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. If you become a premium subscriber, you will be able to download directly from the Radio Reference database to program your scanner. The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can decode DMR and NXDN out of the box but are unable to trunk track DMR or NXDN trunked systems such as the FleetTalk Carolinas NXDN system that Pickens County uses. The BCD436HP will need the NXDN upgrade also. You can install the upgrade yourself on that scanner also. The BCD436HP has the entire national database on an SD card. You can scan your area by using zip code scanning. It is far better to create favorites lists to scan exactly what you want. You can create favorites lists by appending systems using the free Uniden Sentinel programing software. That doesn't require being a premium subscriber. You are going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to program. We were all totally confused when we first started. Programming becomes easy with practice. What is your city or town to determine which site or sites are best for you on the trunked systems.

Bgolf

If you only want Pickens County, the BCD325P2 will be adequate. Purchase the radio without any upgrades. After you receive the scanner, you will need to purchase the NXDN upgrade directly from Uniden which is less expensive to install yourself. You just login to my.uniden.com and register your scanner to purchase the key. The key will be emailed to you immediately. The upgrade already resides in the scanner firmware and you just enter the key to enable it. The Palmetto 800 sites in Pickens County are not simulcast so that is not an issue requiring a SDS scanner. You will need programming software. I use Butel ARC-XT Basic to program my BCD325P2 and BCD996P2. If you become a premium subscriber, you will be able to download directly from the Radio Reference database to program your scanner. The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can decode DMR and NXDN out of the box but are unable to trunk track DMR or NXDN trunked systems such as the FleetTalk Carolinas NXDN system that Pickens County uses. The BCD436HP will need the NXDN upgrade also. You can install the upgrade yourself on that scanner also. The BCD436HP has the entire national database on an SD card. You can scan your area by using zip code scanning. It is far better to create favorites lists to scan exactly what you want. You can create favorites lists by appending systems using the free Uniden Sentinel programing software. That doesn't require being a premium subscriber. You are going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to program. We were all totally confused when we first started. Programming becomes easy with practice. What is your city or town to determine which site or sites are best for you on the trunked systems.
Six mile

tvengr

Well Known Member
You are lucky to have a site at Six Mile. on the FleetTalk NXDN trunked system. The Easley and Glassy Mountain sites are each about 12 miles. The Clemson and Pickens sites on the Palmetto 800 P25 statewide trunked system are each about 9 miles. You will be able to easily select sites using quick keys to determine which ones are within range and how much radio traffic they carry. That can be done with both the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP.

Bgolf

You are lucky to have a site at Six Mile. on the FleetTalk NXDN trunked system. The Easley and Glassy Mountain sites are each about 12 miles. The Clemson and Pickens sites on the Palmetto 800 P25 statewide trunked system are each about 9 miles. You will be able to easily select sites using quick keys to determine which ones are within range and how much radio traffic they carry. That can be done with both the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP.
Out of those 2 which one would I be better off with?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can decode DMR and NXDN out of the box but are unable to trunk track DMR or NXDN trunked systems such as the FleetTalk Carolinas NXDN system that Pickens County uses.

I think it's worth pointing out a distinction between Whistler scanners' lack of trunk-tracking DMR and/or NXDN system vs the Uniden 160D/260D not trunk-tracking.

In the case of the Unidens, they don't have the intelligence built in to even decode and display talkgroups. There's no way to control scanner operation based on talkgroups.

With the Whistlers, they are aware of talkgroups. Thus, you can hold on a specific talkgroup, you can program a list of talkgroups and restrict scanning just to those groups, you can lock out talkgroups. The disadvantage is that the Whistler scanners don't decode and track the system based on activity of the control channel like they do for P25 systems. Instead they scan the voice channels, ignoring any transmissions that aren't voice (including the control channel). When they land on a voice transmission, they determine the talkgroup in use and decide (based on programming) whether to open squelch and play the audio, or skip over the transmission and move on. For systems like this one with relatively few voice channels, this works remarkably well, although it's a little slow.

There is a benefit to this method - it's not necessary to determine voice channel LCN/LSN values or Color Code/RAN values. Because these values are tricky to identify, the RR database is often incomplete or inaccurate. IT can be a challenge for Uniden users to determine these values on their own and have their scanners properly scan the system.

I don't advocate purchasing a Whistler scanner at this point, but I think this is an interesting difference between the two manufacturers that's worth understanding.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Both are good scanners. The BCD325P2 is less expensive. It is a good choice if you want to use it in Pickens and Oconee Counties. If you plan on travelling, the nationwide database in the BCD436HP will come in handy. If using it for travelling, I would consider the SDS100. Many of the systems across the county use simulcast sites which can be a problem with the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP. Many of the counties on the Palmetto 800 system use simulcast sites, including, Anderson, Greenville, and Spartanburg. Both the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP may or may not have problems receiving your adjacent counties other than Oconee which does not use simulcast sites. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. Simulcast distortion is very location specific and results in missed transmissions and garbled audio.

Bgolf

Both are good scanners. The BCD325P2 is less expensive. It is a good choice if you want to use it in Pickens and Oconee Counties. If you plan on travelling, the nationwide database in the BCD436HP will come in handy. If using it for travelling, I would consider the SDS100. Many of the systems across the county use simulcast sites which can be a problem with the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP. Many of the counties on the Palmetto 800 system use simulcast sites, including, Anderson, Greenville, and Spartanburg. Both the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP may or may not have problems receiving your adjacent counties other than Oconee which does not use simulcast sites. It all depends upon your location in relation to the towers. Simulcast distortion is very location specific and results in missed transmissions and garbled audio.
Pickens is the only county I'm really interested in. Maybe oconee as I'm close to that line. But Pickens is Main one I want to listen.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just checked. Oconee County mostly uses DMR conventional frequencies. To receive the Sheriff and other police departments as well as Seneca and Walhalla Fire, you would also need the DMR upgrade. There are 3 analog Sheriff frequencies, but I don't know how often they are used. Oconee County Fire, EMS, and Rescue Dispatch have analog conventional frequencies. If you are just interested in Pickens and Oconee Counties, the BCD325P2 will be the least expensive and your best choice. I will be happy to create ARC-XT programming files for you and attach them here. You will need the ARC-XT Basic software to Upload the files to your scanner. Using the software, you will be able to add additional files to your scanner such as railroads, aircraft, amateur radio, businesses, and many other frequencies. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys with the scanner to select systems, sites, and groups:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 3

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Sure a RTL dongle and what I really like is cheap Lenovo tiny PC from ebay, legal windows that you can reload and more than powerfull enough to run DSD+FL. Total investment would be about $350 and it works great. As to the antenna, yes you can attach any antenna to the dongle. You can use the PC as a PC while listing to many digital modes.

Bgolf

How much does the NXDN and DMR upgrades cost?

Bgolf

I believe that NXDN is $50 and DMR is $60. It costs more if you have a dealer do it for you.
Ok and do I have to purchase straight from Uniden in order to get the updates or can I buy from anywhere New or used?

tvengr

Well Known Member
If there are any updates to DMR or NXDN, you will get them when you update the firmware in your scanner. Every scanner requires a different key to enable DMR or NXDN. That is why you need to register your scanner and give Uniden the serial number and electronic serial number to generate the proper keys to enable the upgrades. Even if you purchase the scanner through a dealer, they have to go through the same process to enable the upgrades. You are paying the dealer to do the same thing that you can do yourself. The only keys that will work with your scanners are the ones you buy from Uniden. Keys from other scanners will not work on your scanner.

Bgolf

If there are any updates to DMR or NXDN, you will get them when you update the firmware in your scanner. Every scanner requires a different key to enable DMR or NXDN. That is why you need to register your scanner and give Uniden the serial number and electronic serial number to generate the proper keys to enable the upgrades. Even if you purchase the scanner through a dealer, they have to go through the same process to enable the upgrades. You are paying the dealer to do the same thing that you can do yourself. The only keys that will work with your scanners are the ones you buy from Uniden. Keys from other scanners will not work on your scanner.
Yes I understand that, I was referring to like buying off say eBay (Used) or Amazon

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can put the upgrades on any BCD325P2 as long as you have the serial number to register it. The electronic serial number is in the Settings menu in the scanner. If you are lucky and find one that already has the upgrades, make sure you get the keys from the seller. If the scanner ever needs work, you will be able to prove that the scanner was already upgraded. It should already be in Uniden's records.

Bgolf

You can put the upgrades on any BCD325P2 as long as you have the serial number to register it. The electronic serial number is in the Settings menu in the scanner. If you are lucky and find one that already has the upgrades, make sure you get the keys from the seller. If the scanner ever needs work, you will be able to prove that the scanner was already upgraded. It should already be in Uniden's records.
Thank you

troy201

Good information everyone. What is the big difference between the 325p2 and 996 p2? Is it worth the extra money for the Pickens NXDN and the Palmetto 800 system to monitor?? Its time to put my 898t out to pasture.

Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is the big difference between the 325p2 and 996 p2?
The BCD325P2 is a handheld which you can carry with you using battery power. It has a belt clip or you can stick it in a pocket. The BCD996P2 is a much larger base/mobile which you can set on a desk or install in a vehicle. The BCD325P2 can run on 2 AA cells or be powered by an AC adapter or USB output. The BCD996P2 requires an AC adapter or can be powered from 12vdc in your vehicle. The BCD996P2 also has a larger speaker and more audio output. Both scanners will receive P25 trunked systems, such as Palmetto 800, out of the box with no upgrades. Both can be upgraded to receive DMR and NXDN. If your county uses P25 simulcast sites, you may need a SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile. You will need the NXDN upgrade on either scanner to receive Pickens County public safety on the FleerTalk Carolinas Nexedge 4800 trunked system. I have two 895XLT's which were great on Motorola Type II analog trunked systems. They are very similar to the 898T which has 200 more channels and supports EDACS, LTR, and 800 MHz rebanding.