which commercial radios capable of true non affiliate scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard there are a couple of commercial radios capable of non affiliate trunking scan?

I know of Unication pagers such as the G5, but have heard there is a portable and / or mobile capable of this as well. i found a blurb on the internet that it / they might be manufactured by Relm or Bendix King?

i have not seen reference to any specific model numbers.

i need a commercial radio because i want that good loud distortion free audio and rf rejection you just can't get out of a consumer grade scanner.

i know Motorola won't non affiliate scan a p25 9600 or Phase II system.

the new system being built here is going to be a 3 site 800 TRS P25 9600 / VHF system (PD encrypted everyone else in the clear). right now they are a conventional 800 p25 unencrypted system.

I'm looking for something besides a scanner that will non affiliate scan natively without software tricks IE: i want a commercial radio (mobile and HT) with true non affiliate RX only scanning.

also will said radios sound as good as and perform as well as an xtl5000 and is the mobile able to be remote mounted?

i own both a 996p2 and an sds100, while they are decent and they have a place in my collection i'm not impressed with the audio on them or the rejection capabilities especially in high noise environments such as when i'm doing highway speeds.

i'm not interested in snarky remarks such as buy a scanner blah blah blah.

i like to use quality equipment wherever i can.

Thank You

pricey little portable but looks nice. i'll have to wait for them to start hitting the secondary market lol. but thank you for the info. i'll keep my eyes peeled on flea bay for a reasonably priced one ;-)

I'm assuming bk has no mobiles capable of non affiliate scan?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Why not just go with the Unication? Performance is excellent, software is free, no need for a pricey programming cable... and there is zero chance you will accidentally register on the system. Plus... it’s small and discreet. I used to carry a portable while at work to listen to my public safety partners, now I just use the G5 with a Bluetooth earpiece.

i didn't know the G5 did BT, that would work out nice. i use over the ear noise canceling BT headphones made by philips so i assume those should connect to a G5 with no issues?

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
I mainly listen to Mass State Police (800 both type 1 and type 2). and some UHF conventional channels. Will a G5 work on the MSP? and be able to build a couple scan lists. If I get the dual band, can I scan the certain 800 talk groups and a conventional?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I mainly listen to Mass State Police (800 both type 1 and type 2). and some UHF conventional channels. Will a G5 work on the MSP? and be able to build a couple scan lists. If I get the dual band, can I scan the certain 800 talk groups and a conventional?
No, it is only P25 Phase I and II trunking capable. You could listen to the 700 Mhz Boston overlay and get some of the state police, but you won't be able to listen to any of the current analog system.

TJX400

Motorola subscribers are plenty capable of non affiliate scanning any P25 trunked system... FDMA or TDMA. Not sure where you heard that.

TJX400

I use harris mobiles lately. Works very well to keep parked on a talkgroup as you don't have to set up for NAS like motorola. Just uncheck the TX and no affilation.
I've heard their mobiles (and newer XL portables) are quite nice. Getting the software is the biggest trouble apparently

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am running 2 Harris XG100P, A Harris XG75/M7300 plus an apx7500 mounted in my van as well. The XG100P does very well since it is a all band unit and with the extra large battery no trouble lasting 14 to 18 hrs depending on how I use it as well.

A Phase II system is a p25 9600 system and whoever told you a Motorola won't non-affiliate a P25 system is wrong.

i meant a 3600 not 9600. typed a 9 instead of a 3 by accident. they will be a Phase 1 not 2.

i had heard somewhere that you couldn't program an XTL5k for non affiliate scan but i don't want to go that route anyway. i want something that will do non affiliate scan out of the box and it sounds like the XG series will do that.

the harris XG 75 / 100 series are cheap enough on the secondary market and look like a decent unit, so i may look into a XG75 P and a couple M's or maybe a couple XG 75M's and a Unication G5 and BT Headset for walking around.

i thank everyone for the input.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
OK for phase 1 non affiliate scan an XLT will do ok or an apx will work as well. I have the apx75k running smartzone as well because when I travel to Delaware the whole state is one huge smartzone system so that is why i have the apx75k plus since I am by the ocean I have US Marine channels also programmed into it. The harris xg100P with both p1 and p2 are a lot easier to program for NAS then ma moto. I used to use the XLT unit until I was able to get my apx then I donated the XLT to a vol FD for their cert trailer down in the Shenandoah Valley.
PS I have been to Scottsbluff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.