Which is a better coax

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I barely notice, if not in direct comparison, a 6 dB difference.... I'd say impossible to make any judgement in a non-lab fluctuating short term signal world of e.g. the airbands... Also of course depends on many other things eg. how big is the signal in the first place ... ;) As with any hobby spend as much as you like as long as you can justify it to yourself... Feels good to have nice coax, I admit! But you're not a pro where you need to meet requirements... Find a scanner with a calibrated RSSI... good luck! Compare with your nearest ATIS perhaps, preferably UHF or ideally a steady FM signal or a dead carrier, maybe a 70 cm amateur beacon or repeater carrier. What's more important than the couple of dBs is to make sure you have not got a rotten antenna, rotten connectors or worst, water in the coax... Avoid "UHF" connectors at all cost!
A good quality PL-259 like a silver plated Teflon insulated version is just fine through about 500MHz. I've tested countless versions and the insertion loss is easily less than .1dB at 500MHz and inconsequential at lower frequencies. If you look at 500MHZ duplexers and other equipment made by Motorola, many use PL-259 connectors. A 4 cavity Motorola UHF duplexer will have at least five PL-259/SO-239 connectors in series with both the transmit and receive path and the insertion loss of all that is nothing to worry about.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
A good quality PL-259 like a silver plated Teflon insulated version is just fine through about 500MHz. I've tested countless versions and the insertion loss is easily less than .1dB at 500MHz and inconsequential at lower frequencies. If you look at 500MHZ duplexers and other equipment made by Motorola, many use PL-259 connectors. A 4 cavity Motorola UHF duplexer will have at least five PL-259/SO-239 connectors in series with both the transmit and receive path and the insertion loss of all that is nothing to worry about.
Would it be good at 159 mhz

G7RUX

Let me offer some real heretic advice, 75 Ohm satellite coax! Very low loss, low cost and don't worry about the "impedance mismatch", god knows what your radio's input impedance is anyway. Need to find some F connector "adaptors" :) on ebay You may laugh.... :LOL:, think what you want! I mean LMR400 is nice, fat and expensive but you don't transmit. I bet you won't notice the difference - other than what's left in your wallet!
It’s not heretical at all, since 75 ohm feeder gives lower loss overall for receiving anyway.

ArloG

Trust charts. Scanner guys seem to not care about impedance mismatch.
Not being critical but it's just not right. If you have a TV, satellite receiver, stereo system that specs. 75 ohm coaxial cable.
Use it.
If it specs. 50 ohm coax. Use it. It's proper. Reduces reflective losses. Expensive equipment was used to optimize your radio to be as sensitive as it is. Don't screw it up because Home Depot had 75 ohm TV coax on sale.
Commercial 75 ohm CATV hard line has close to the same diameter as 50 ohm RG-213/LMR-400.
Fittings look almost identical. But there are correct 75 and 50 ohm fittings for both. Even if they "fit".
No dice. Use the right ones.

Back to the OP. 50 feet for 2 meters or a bit more into 150 MHz. In a strong signal area. RG-8 or RG-213. Maybe not much difference. Weak signals? Sure. Trust the charts.
3 dB is half the signal. LMR-400. All the way. And don't forget trusty old Belden 9913 in there second.
9913 gets a bad rap. I've had some up outside for 10 years, no issues. And I solely use Amphenol or similar high quality compression connectors. Rain, snow, snot. No problems. Get them from an electronics surplus house and save a pile.
LMR-400 is stiff stuff. Unless you spend the bucks for Ultraflex.
I ain't no super pro guru. But smart enough to know mixing different impedance cable to devices is not a good thing. Why do it??
Of course it's a no-brainer. If you're transmitting any power at all. RG-8, nope.

coax-loss-chart.jpg

G7RUX

Trust charts. Scanner guys seem to not care about impedance mismatch.
Not being critical but it's just not right. If you have a TV, satellite receiver, stereo system that specs. 75 ohm coaxial cable.
Use it.
If it specs. 50 ohm coax. Use it. It's proper. Reduces reflective losses. Expensive equipment was used to optimize your radio to be as sensitive as it is. Don't screw it up because Home Depot had 75 ohm TV coax on sale.
Commercial 75 ohm CATV hard line has close to the same diameter as 50 ohm RG-213/LMR-400.
Fittings look almost identical. But there are correct 75 and 50 ohm fittings for both. Even if they "fit".
No dice. Use the right ones.
It's not so much that they don't care but more that it doesn't actually make very much difference at all. a 50/75 impedance mismatch should lead to less than a quarter of a deciBel mismatch loss (resistive) and it needs to be rather reactive to get a one deciBel mismatch loss. Couple this with the fact that 75 ohm feeder has less overall loss than 50 ohm feeder (see BBC R&D White Paper 126) and that will usually more than make up for it. Granted, if you're wanting to stick a load of power through that mismatch then you'll suffer with a lot of power loss (30 ohm feeder is better for power transfer anyway, which when coupled with the 75 ohm low-loss for small signal handling, is why 50 ohm is the "standard" for comms kit; it's a good compromise.)

Add in that most wideband receivers have wildly varying input impedance across their operating range and it actually doesn't make any difference at all...just go with what you have.

Regarding which coax to go for if you are splashing the cash, go for the best you can get away with/justify...if that means RG213 then go for it. If you can push to LMR600 or some nice 5/8" Heliax then good for you. Whatever you do will be better than no antenna at all.

Last edited:

ArloG

It's not so much that they don't care but more that it doesn't actually make very much difference at all. a 50/75 impedance mismatch should lead to less than a quarter of a deciBel mismatch loss (resistive) and it needs to be rather reactive to get a one deciBel mismatch loss. Couple this with the fact that 75 ohm feeder has less overall loss than 50 ohm feeder (see BBC R&D White Paper 126) and that will usually more than make up for it. Granted, if you're wanting to stick a load of power through that mismatch then you'll suffer with a lot of power loss (30 ohm feeder is better for power transfer anyway, which when coupled with the 75 ohm low-loss for small signal handling, is why 50 ohm is the "standard" for comms kit; it's a good compromise.)

Add in that most wideband receivers have wildly varying input impedance across their operating range and it actually doesn't make any difference at all...just go with what you have.

Regarding which coax to go for if you are splashing the cash, go for the best you can get away with/justify...if that means RG213 then go for it. If you can push to LMR600 or some nice 5/8" Heliax then good for you. Whatever you do will be better than no antenna at all.
I would hit a like but there is just too much to dispute mixing coax impedance for systems designed for a particular one.
If it were so then coax would not need anything more than who made it printed on it. Not going to get into a big lets drink a lot of beer and stand in front of fans and see who gets wetter first.
Two reasons you would do a mis match would be 1: It's what I have, and 2: I just don't care.
Antenna's have a characteristic value, receivers, xceivers have specific connection requirements. A 50 ohm antenna and 50 ohm rated radio with 75 ohm coax in between. Nah. Even if you have a SWR matching unit in between. It's going to do something it's not designed to do and there are a bunch of negatives in doing so. Sorry. It's so.
Commercial installations don't do it. The military certainly doesn't do it. Nor should you if you have the ability. Do it right.
I breezed through the white paper. So the Brits are still using an-a-lo-gway. Too much math. And coming from the folks who are infamous for Lucas Electrics. Pfft!
If there's anywhere in it where it states that a 75 ohm impedance antenna system and transmitter designed for 50 ohm impedance is okay to bullocks in 75 ohm Lucas coaxial. I missed it.
Kind of done here. A longwire, dipole, Yagi, most will need a matching device in between the feeder cable and them.
That Channel Master, Blonder Tongue TV antenna way up on the hill needs a 300 to 75 ohm balun if you use coax. Or 300 ohm twin lead.
If you don't then you get reflections (NTSC days), signal attenuation. Worse if you use a line amplifier.
Home Depot, Lowes because it's easy and fast. Or wait a few days and wait for FexEx. I choose for wait for the truck.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Home Depot, Lowes because it's easy and fast. Or wait a few days and wait for FexEx. I choose for wait for the truck.

That's certainly a good point.
I'd use the right stuff where appropriate.
I've been using 75Ω RG-6 for several years now for an end fed shortwave/AMDX antenna. I don't get hung up on it, though. It was at the start of COVID and I wanted a quick antenna that would let me use my old shortwave radio in a pinch. Yeah, it's less than ideal, the antenna is resonate somewhere around 18MHz, not by any specific design, but because that is where the two supports were that I used.

While it is always nice to do things right, and I do my best to follow that and teach it to others, it's also important to remember something else:

- It is a hobby. It's for fun.

Don't get hung up on minute details if someone is just looking for a form of entertainment. As pointed out by others, the super wide band, do everything, scanner antennas that are haphazardly installed, usually using a bunch of adapters, and all connected to a consumer radio that may or may not present a 50Ω impedance at the antenna, rarely matters.
If it's someone chasing weak signal stuff for ham radio or astronomy and a few fractions of a dB make or break the system, and money is not a challenge, then go for the full on 50Ω system.

My point is that many hobbyists will cut corners and use a bunch of cheap components, twist on coax connectors, mag mount antennas, and cheap Chinese made radios, then get hung up on something trivial.

Remember, hobbies are to have fun.

ArloG

Very cool. I'd like to feel confident in knowing any cable spec. is not determined using a network analyzer (your transceiver) calibrated for 50 ohms, dumping into 75 ohm coax, and terminated with a 50, 300, 450 ohm load. Receivers aside. Hearing an automatic tuner go nuts trying to tune to 75 ohm coax is something I've never personally heard. I have heard them and seen the dilemma of tuning a manual antenna tuner to "sick" coax/terminations. Nobody likes fried finals or output tubes. Except the guy getting paid to fix them. Sometimes. Charcoal aside.

merlin

For receiving only, LMR214 is a great choice along with RG6 double shield.
50 foot, even RG-58 is a good choice.
Get your antenna as high as practical.

G7RUX

I would hit a like but there is just too much to dispute mixing coax impedance for systems designed for a particular one.
If it were so then coax would not need anything more than who made it printed on it. Not going to get into a big lets drink a lot of beer and stand in front of fans and see who gets wetter first.
Two reasons you would do a mis match would be 1: It's what I have, and 2: I just don't care.
Antenna's have a characteristic value, receivers, xceivers have specific connection requirements. A 50 ohm antenna and 50 ohm rated radio with 75 ohm coax in between. Nah. Even if you have a SWR matching unit in between. It's going to do something it's not designed to do and there are a bunch of negatives in doing so. Sorry. It's so.
Commercial installations don't do it. The military certainly doesn't do it. Nor should you if you have the ability. Do it right.
I breezed through the white paper. So the Brits are still using an-a-lo-gway. Too much math. And coming from the folks who are infamous for Lucas Electrics. Pfft!
If there's anywhere in it where it states that a 75 ohm impedance antenna system and transmitter designed for 50 ohm impedance is okay to bullocks in 75 ohm Lucas coaxial. I missed it.
Kind of done here. A longwire, dipole, Yagi, most will need a matching device in between the feeder cable and them.
That Channel Master, Blonder Tongue TV antenna way up on the hill needs a 300 to 75 ohm balun if you use coax. Or 300 ohm twin lead.
If you don't then you get reflections (NTSC days), signal attenuation. Worse if you use a line amplifier.
Well, there’s quite a bit to unpick there but I shall leave that for someone else.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Very cool. I'd like to feel confident in knowing any cable spec. is not determined using a network analyzer (your transceiver) calibrated for 50 ohms, dumping into 75 ohm coax, and terminated with a 50, 300, 450 ohm load. Receivers aside. Hearing an automatic tuner go nuts trying to tune to 75 ohm coax is something I've never personally heard. I have heard them and seen the dilemma of tuning a manual antenna tuner to "sick" coax/terminations. Nobody likes fried finals or output tubes. Except the guy getting paid to fix them. Sometimes. Charcoal aside.

75Ω vs 50Ω is a very minor SWR difference. It's not going to cook the finals on a radio.
Usually the radio will throttle back power output if the SWR gets too high.

There have been articles on hams running old cable TV hardline (.500, .750 stuff) for a long time. It's low loss and the impedance mismatch is minor, and any loss is made up with the lower loss cable.

Considering there are a lot of hobbyists using mag mount antennas with coaxial cable pinched in the window/door, which would screw up the impedance, and they keep working, should tell you a lot.

But, yeah, for my installs, I usually run the right stuff. For a end fed shortwave antenna with a 9:1 balun, the difference in the coax cable is the least of my worries.

ArloG

75Ω vs 50Ω is a very minor SWR difference. It's not going to cook the finals on a radio.
Usually the radio will throttle back power output if the SWR gets too high.

There have been articles on hams running old cable TV hardline (.500, .750 stuff) for a long time. It's low loss and the impedance mismatch is minor, and any loss is made up with the lower loss cable.

Considering there are a lot of hobbyists using mag mount antennas with coaxial cable pinched in the window/door, which would screw up the impedance, and they keep working, should tell you a lot.

But, yeah, for my installs, I usually run the right stuff. For a end fed shortwave antenna with a 9:1 balun, the difference in the coax cable is the least of my worries.
Sorry. Yes there is, yes it can, and yes it does.
'Usually' could be a $7500 gamble. Five bucks for you to put your eyeball up to that pinch in the window on 50 watts, key down, for five minutes.
I'm done. Seriously. I'll wait for the truck.

G7RUX

How about making the measurements yourself if you don't believe the hundreds, if not thousands, of engineers who have gone down this route before?

So, to unpick a few of these points:

If it were so then coax would not need anything more than who made it printed on it.
Specifications are important so no, understanding what you have and what you can and cannot do with it is similarly important. Note also that everything discussed here applies to *all* feeders, not just coaxial ones.

How about 3: This works fine, or 4: actually the impedance mismatch does something useful with the system I have. Or even 5: my receiver has an input impedance which does interesting things across its working range. Consider a dipole, folded or otherwise, centre-fed...what is the characteristic impedance at resonance if it's a half-wave? Why not use coax which matches the antenna impedance and then you only have one mismatch to deal with?

Commercial installations *do* do it, as do "the military" since the designers of those systems (of which I am one) understand the what, why and how of what they are aiming to do.

I'm glad you enjoyed the White Paper but I'm sorry that you feel there is "too much math" since this is an inherently maths-heavy discipline. That's not to say that using that all the time is necessary because it isn't but it is important to understand the basis on which estimates are made. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "an-a-lo-gway" but I feel certain that you can explain that for me.

But at that point you start talking about "Lucas Electrics" which makes no sense at all and continue to have a "pop" at "the Brits" which is simply unnecessary and perhaps belies your general attitudes towards others.

None of this detracts from the simple fact, calculated using widely discussed equations from first principles if you wish and then easily verified using modest test equipment, that the mismatch loss for a simple 50-75 ohm transition is small, typically around a quarter of a deciBel and is usually compensated for by the reduced loss in the 75 ohm feeder when compared to a 50 ohm equivalent. In fact, termination mismatch losses are quite easy to measure and compensate for, being discrete; what is much harder to characterise is the mismatch losses generated within a feeder due to the variation in physical dimensions, material homogeneity, etc.

Of course, in an ideal world one would design everything to be perfectly matched to eliminate all of these troublesome losses, making the system as a whole much more efficient and sensitive but most commercial, military and broadcast kit doesn't take this approach as it would all be too delicate and expensive; one makes it as good as can reasonably be achieved within the limits one has. The closest one gets to perfection is instrumentation and I'm sure everyone knows just how expensive and delicate that kit is!

In short, using 75 ohm feeder with a 50 ohm receiver results in very small mismatch losses but it should be remembered that most wideband receiver circuitry does not present a simple 50 ohm impedance at their input and often uses matching pads internal to their design. Basically, do the best you can within the constraints you have.

G7RUX

Feeder specifications are usually calculated and then verified with measurements. Since most, not all, network analyzers use 50 ohm bridges this is not a problem at all since the mismatch is discrete and known.

I have NEVER heard an auto-ATU struggle with 75 ohm feeder, largely because they can usually deal with highly resistive systems with VSWR of typically up to 10:1 (return loss of under 2 dB) and the mismatch from 50-75 ohms is, as has been stated several times, equivalent to a VSWR of 1.5:1 (return loss of around 14 dB, mismatch through loss of less than 0.2 dB.) Any decent auto-ATU which was struggling to tune "to 75 ohm coax" was almost certainly presented with other issues.