which scanner do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2001kx

just wondering what i need (digital / analog) for my area's police and fire?

Any help would be great :)

state - pennsylvania

county - clearfield

city - clearfield

zip 16830

dgruber

Analog

You are going to need a analog scanner but i would recommend getting a digital one so if they go digital you are ready and do not need to buy another scanner. The digital scanners do analog to.

captclint

Mentor
You are going to need a analog scanner but i would recommend getting a digital one so if they go digital you are ready and do not need to buy another scanner. The digital scanners do analog to.
Depends on whether this will be your only purchase for a long time, and even then I would not get digital. Scanners improve approx every 2 years. Things that current digital scanner can't receive will be improved in future models. When, and if someone goes digital in your area, then you can get the latest model. Here is your county: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2257 You will need an analog trunking scanner.

Typically, it takes several years from the time an agency decides to got digital, so you have plenty of warning. Now if someone from you area knows of such a move, that might change things a little.

Last edited:

N8IAA

just wondering what i need (digital / analog) for my area's police and fire?

Any help would be great :)

state - pennsylvania

county - clearfield

city - clearfield

zip 16830

You will need an analog trunk tracking scanner. Your county and city are on a LTR system. Since you didn't state handheld or base, I will suggest the Uniden BC346XT handheld, and the BC15x base. I also suggest getting FreeScan to program the radios, along with a premium membership here at RR. This will allow you to import from the database and then download it to the scanner. I wouldn't worry about digital for now.
HTH,
Larry

2001kx

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have a few questions.
My brother in law has an old uniden bearcat BC148XLT scanner he uses.
Is it a trunking scanner? How can you tell if it is or not?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another thought to add to the mix. . .

If you do any travelling and like to take a scanner along, an analog only scanner might limit things you can listen to. A digital scanner opens up a few more possibilities.

But if home scanning is all you are going to do, then analog is your answer.

2001kx

I will just be using it at home.
If the bearcat BC148XLT he uses isnt a trunking scanner how can he pick up fire / police?
Would i pick up more with a trunking scanner?

captclint

Mentor
I will just be using it at home.
If the bearcat BC148XLT he uses isnt a trunking scanner how can he pick up fire / police?
Would i pick up more with a trunking scanner?
Centre Communications Trunking System is the primary trunking system for Clearfield County, but they may be using the old non-trunking frequencies occasionally. . Also, Local Municipalities still use non-trunking. It is also possible to monitor a trunking system with a non-trunking scanner. When you do that, you may miss parts of conversations when they trunk to different channels, but it may not be that noticeable. Here's some info on trunking: Trunking Basics

Last edited:

2001kx

You will need an analog trunk tracking scanner. Your county and city are on a LTR system. Since you didn't state handheld or base, I will suggest the Uniden BC346XT handheld, and the BC15x base. I also suggest getting FreeScan to program the radios, along with a premium membership here at RR. This will allow you to import from the database and then download it to the scanner. I wouldn't worry about digital for now.
HTH,
Larry

would this scanner work?

Amazon.com : RadioShack® PRO-107 Handheld iScan Trunking Scanner : Two Way Radios : Electronics

Im sure the ones you have listed are great but my budget says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.