Whistler 1065 P25 Phase I/Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzems2

I'm in Wi and want to start scanning Dane county again. I believe Dane county has moved to P25 Phase II. Is there a download or upgrade to the 1065 to be able to pick up DaneCom using P25 Phase II, or do I have an obsolete scanner yet again?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Think to future upgrades when you buy a scanner. The way technology is moving, some digital scanners will be obsolete soon if they are not built to receive P25 digital Phase 1 & 2, DMR and NXDN. I have the 1065 and I have since assigned it other duties at my desk since it is not able to decode LSM in my area (simulcast) If you want a nice base scanner that can do it all, bite the bullet and squeeze that nickel and get a Uniden SDS200.

JD
kf4anc

mzems2

Think to future upgrades when you buy a scanner. The way technology is moving, some digital scanners will be obsolete soon if they are not built to receive P25 digital Phase 1 & 2, DMR and NXDN. I have the 1065 and I have since assigned it other duties at my desk since it is not able to decode LSM in my area (simulcast) If you want a nice base scanner that can do it all, bite the bullet and squeeze that nickel and get a Uniden SDS200.

JD
kf4anc
Good Lord...no way will I spend that kind of money on a scanner. If I wanna listen that bad I'll go grab my two way radio...LOL

DJ11DLN

Look at it this way. You want a scanner to be as future-proof as possible due to the very cost consideration you cite. The 1065 has been around a relatively long time for a digital trunking scanner, it's really just the old Grecom PSR-600 with a new name and model #. It's quite capable within its limitations, but there are a long list of those. The SDS series is probably the most future-proof of anything on the market these days because they can handle the most digital modes and also handle LSM well, which has been a bugaboo for listeners who have to contend with it for years. So in reality you are getting what you pay for...pay more, get more.

There, I said it...and I'm not even really a Uniden fan.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm in Wi and want to start scanning Dane county again. I believe Dane county has moved to P25 Phase II. Is there a download or upgrade to the 1065 to be able to pick up DaneCom using P25 Phase II, or do I have an obsolete scanner yet again?
Look at the Dane County system in the database: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7616

The system is P25 Phase II capable. But looking at the talkgroups in the database, all but a couple are labeled as Mode D, In other words, they are using P25 Phase I. As long as the database information is correct, you would be able to receive most of the talkgroups with your WS1065. If, at some future date, those Mode D, P25 Phase I, talkgroups are transitioned to use Phase II, then at that point, you would lose the ability to monitor them. There are a number of law enforcement talkgroups that are encrypted. Those are designated in the Mode column as DE. The D means P25 Phase I, and the upper case E means full time encryption. If encryption was reported as being used only part of the time, that would, instead, be a lower case e. No scanner is able to monitor encrypted transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.