SDS100/SDS200: Sds100 question decoding P25 Phase II

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Is the Audio Option set at NAC 309 and not P25 or something else in Sentinel...
Assuming your using a Favorite list...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
While holding on the Police channel not scanning... Do see any signal strength... Of course that would be only they xmit...

blackbelter

Hi. How well does the sds100 decode p25 phase ii digital freqs? I want to use it for a police channel thats vhf 154.875 nac309. It's simulcast as well. Just wanna make sure that im not gonna waste my time programming it and it doesnt work. Im 12 miles away from the nearest tower. Although it works on my unication g3 pager and motorola xts2500 radio. TIA
While I don’t own an SDS 100, my SDS200 performance on our P25P2 is subpar to my Unication G5 . I need not to play musical chairs such as filters or other sittings with my G5 . It just works .
Having said that the SDS units are still a good option .

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I only use my SDS100 for simulcast systems. It's a sub par performer on VHF & UHF and prone to overload in high RF environments. Might be fine for simulcast VHF conventional but not all environments are created equal
While I’ve heard and seen in various posts the SDS100/200 is sub-par on VHF & UHF, I’ve also seen posts that have taken issue with that. The conclusions of those posts state that while bench testing, Uniden has determined the SDS series does show a slight difference, but those differences are indistinguishable to the human ear. I have tried to determine if my BCD325P2 scanner receives better than my SDS100, using the same antenna, by finding a weak station and making a comparison. I used a weak National Weather service frequency, and can not determine a difference. Both received the weak signal, even after I located a dead spot, where the signal was further degraded. As for overload in high RF environments, something I am not bothered with, I have no opinion, other than if I WERE bothered, certain remedies can be put into play such as attenuation settings and/or the use of less efficient antennas. So, your thoughts please on this?

The following is slightly off topic but it also allowed me the opportunity to compare weak signals with the two scanners I mentioned, both of which have performed equally;

Most all of my VHF/UHF choices are from agencies that incorporate a repeater, which eliminate my need for any concern relating to the “sub-par” performance mentioned… with one exception… my local FD uses a VHF repeaterized system. I hear them just fine on the repeater output frequency. But they have incorporated a practice of using the output frequency of the dispatch repeater as a simplex fireground frequency when going to their first choice of a fireground frequency. I’ve been told the reasoning behind that is “Command” (the officer in charge) can still hear dispatch if another assignment (a different call, not a second alarm for the first assignment) is broadcast on dispatch. This practice has always bothered me because if another assignment is dispatched, that assignment, not related in any way with the first assignment, will bother the first assignment with every transmission that’s repeaterized from the second assignment. Their answer to this is “A second assignment is rare… and we have additional fireground frequencies we can use should the need arise”. Why not assign a fireground frequency that is unrelated to the repeater to begin with? The radios they use have the ability to operate on one frequency and also monitor the dispatch frequency at the same time. Your thoughts?