Whistler/GRE Low End Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I don't know about that but I got an e-mail from Whistler confirming they will be coming out with scanners and to let me know first thing.

Did they happen to mention when they would be making an announcement (with pictures) as to when they will be releasing them? I'm anxiously awaiting word on when they are coming.

:)

dvendt

Poverty scanner?

In many ways the gre scanners were superior to the uniden. Just to name 2: gre is superior in sensitivity and sound quality. The uniden did have a much better volume/squelch knob and maybe a prettier package but prettier doesn't mean better.

beischel

In many ways the gre scanners were superior to the uniden. Just to name 2: gre is superior in sensitivity and sound quality. The uniden did have a much better volume/squelch knob and maybe a prettier package but prettier doesn't mean better.

Agreed, audio on my Uniden's always sound muffled with too much low end/bass audio. the GRE's always have crisp clear audio.

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Agreed, audio on my Uniden's always sound muffled with too much low end/bass audio.

I agree, and a cheap, small external speaker works wonders when pointed at you rather than down, or away from you. I used to have to set the volume at 6-8 on the Uniden's, whereas 2 works pretty well now with the external speakers. You sacrifice the deeper tonal qualities for the ability to hear without disturbing others in the house.

bberns22

No Whistler Scanner in 2014

I would be very surprised to see any Whistler scanners in 2014:

Development times + Assembly line build + FCC approvals = 18 months

SCPD

QRT
bberns22, when the sale, or buy out was agreed too, it all comes down to one word, "assets". Many corporations and companies have bought out or "merged" with others, it all comes down to what "assets" are agreed to in the sale. This is something which is confidential and we won't know. They could put out a product just by changing the name or be held out for a period of time determined by the sales agreement. I would take a wild guess and say that what Whistler announced, that they will put something on the market in the very near future.

N8OAY

I would be very surprised to see any Whistler scanners in 2014:

Development times + Assembly line build + FCC approvals = 18 months

All Whistler has to do is get their products reapproved by the FCC. At least, if I understand correctly what was reported, they will first reissue they scanners that GRE already had on the market before working on new products. There was a post on one of these forums that listed the Radio Shack model numbers for 4 of the Whistler scanners with the old GRE equivalents.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Whistler will miss a golden opportunity by letting Uniden get their flagship scanner out first. There is a lot of buzz with the new models coming out.
I'm not sure if many hobbyist will purchase a Uniden now and sell when Whistler comes out with whatever they are coming out with.

I currently have a 500 and 800 and looking for a TDMA scanner that will be able to program with real scanner software and that can be programed by the scanner it's self. The Ez Scan Digital software leaves a lot to be desired.

vince48

SCPD

QRT
Anybody know if Whistler will make a version of EZ-Scan compatible with GRE PSR-800's or will their version of the 800 be compatible with EZ-Scan?

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
All Whistler has to do is get their products reapproved by the FCC. At least, if I understand correctly what was reported, they will first reissue they scanners that GRE already had on the market before working on new products. There was a post on one of these forums that listed the Radio Shack model numbers for 4 of the Whistler scanners with the old GRE equivalents.

So i wonder if they're bring all the manufacturing parts, tools, and equipment over from China? Or are they starting from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.