Whistler @ the CES 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rckydenver

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As for LED colorations.. Want the "Best" for low light/darkness? RED! Low glare red is proven to be the best for your eyes, as well as eyes of others in very low light and very dark situations. Think not? Tell this to the military of almost every nation. LEA's, Outdoorsmen, etc... Red, green, blue, cyan. Best for the eyes with good visibility and less blinding glare. But if you want to see it from across the room, then whitish, more of an yellow amber than orange, light blue, and yes, even pink!

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Niiiiiiice! Glad to know there's at least a chance of the old GRE PSR-900 being resurrected a la Whistler.

Methinks this will be a good year for scanner enthusiasts.

wacker13

My question is if whistler will offer any updates for PSR-800 or if all of us are just out of luck and have to buy one of there scanners or undies new one if we want any current software/firmware?

bear780ks

Well If the GRE facility in the US is still handling things as they were and Whistler was able to take it over I'd say things should of remain as is was, Hopefully it stayed the same.. Bear

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

bear780ks said:
Well If the GRE facility in the US is still handling things as they were and Whistler was able to take it over I'd say things should of remain as is was, Hopefully it stayed the same.. Bear

The GRE America facility has been closed for almost a year.

All we can do is hope Whistler will offer support for legacy items.

bear780ks

O i was thinking it was still open to help customers that bought radios in the past, my mistake well as you said hopefully whistler got all that GRE had and can do as GRE done in the past it would kind of sad if they couldn't...

rwier

Premium Subscriber
As for LED colorations.. Want the "Best" for low light/darkness? RED! Low glare red is proven to be the best for your eyes, as well as eyes of others in very low light and very dark situations. Think not? Tell this to the military of almost every nation. LEA's, Outdoorsmen, etc......

Often the only color seen at late night, early morning, "star parties" (astro). I remember being verbally chastised one dark night when I opened my vehicle door and the dome light came on.

beischel

I like the looks of the Uniden 436 and 536 better. These Whistlers look kind of cheap. Are these the Whistler models that are comparable to the Uniden 436 and 536?

Who cares what they look like. Frankly, every Uniden scanner I have had performs very poorly when compared side-by-side with my GRE/Radio Shack scanners. This is especially evident on P25. Uniden is horrible and their firmware upgrades have made things worse. Latest Home Patrol upgrade decodes almost nothing forcing a roll-back to previous version.

In any case, Uniden "might" look better, but I'll take performance over looks any day.

Last edited:

lep

Who cares what they look like. Frankly, every Uniden scanner I have had performs very poorly when compared side-by-side with my GRE/Radio Shack scanners. This is especially evident on P25. Uniden is horrible and their firmware upgrades have made things worse. Latest Home Patrol upgrade decodes almost nothing forcing a roll-back to previous version.

In any case, Uniden "might" look better, but I'll take performance over looks any day.

Do you drive a Ford or a Chevy? Same kind of problem. My experience is exactly the opposite, Who is right? It's just a matter of opinion absent some test data to turn opinion into Facts.

The system(s) I monitor are P-25 Phase 1 and the audio on both my 996s and my HP-1s are both perfect and "fidelity" is fine.

Actually having only seen the New Uniden's and the alleged new Whistler (is that a photo shop creation or was the Whistler actually on display @CES2014?) I can't judge which ones Look Better.

But, I am one of those consumers who Cares what my radios look like! (So, another point on which we disagree.)
And I will not make a purchase on the basis of photos alone, I will wait until they are in stores and I can see/touch them.
I go to many shows per year where dealers have radios on display. New models of scanners come out infrequently, I am not in such a hurry to be 'first on the block' and so I can wait, for example, until May 2014 and see what both ScannerMaster and Radio Shack are showing at Dayton HamVention (r)
GRE used to exhibit there, maybe Whistler will replace them?

[To answer my own rhetorical question, I drive a Toyota Avalon]

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Choices

beischel said:
Do you drive a Ford or a Chevy? Same kind of problem. My experience is exactly the opposite, Who is right? It's just a matter of opinion absent some test data to turn opinion into Facts.
I agree with beischel as I've had the same experience with numerous models over many years. And for the record, I drive neither a Ford nor a Chevy; I drive a Dodge. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a reasonable 3rd choice for scanners? Perhaps Whislter will become that.

Status
Not open for further replies.