Whistler WS1080 EZSCAN software Download Now on Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can. EZSCAN Whistler Version - Using STANDARD in scroll/Library Import area allows you to select your STATE, THEN the System-SITE like a State Police system, then click the Talk-groups button. It's best to use STANDARD because using County or category import selections will just give you everything. Standard lets you pare everything down to the talkgroups you want for the State Site you choose. One thing about the EZScan software, you have to go up to "Advanced" top right to select the tabs to be opened on the bottom of the page. For some reason they don't show all the needed tabs at the bottom as default, you have to open them up for use just to see them. I used the EZSCAN GRE PSR800 version too, but Whistler told me over the phone it won't work by using their version with the PSR800 and vice-versa. It's true, you can update the library, but nothing else will update. GRE's site still has the software downloads so I'd be using that if the radio was the GRE PSR800. You're right about the new scanners, I miss the days of the old 453.900 on the Tollways you could hear for long distances, nice and easy to program and monitor. This is like anything though, I've got it down now with use and practice.

Thanks for the post !! Helped out . Hey one more question is there a backlight setting when a transmission comes on the backlight comes on as well for night use ?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler WS1080 EZScan Software now on Website.

Yes. In the EZscan Software, you go to Scanlists tab at the bottom, find what talkgroup or conventional channel you want to edit. At the top you'll see "Bklt/LED" clicking THAT for the talkgroup/channel gives you a pop-up menu to assign a color or colors that flash on the front of the scanner AND where it says "Back-light mode" you can set the back-light to flash on and off or whatever. IN the scanner itself, you have to stop it on a channel or talkgroup you want to edit by hitting "menu" while it's on a broadcast OR in "Menu"-"browse objects" and there's a menu to change flash background there for each object you want to change. It's much easier to do each channel/talkgroup on the software. One thing I noticed with the audio alerts, even though they're very quick, sometimes they mask the transmission of the fire call unless you catch the dispatch right from the beginning. I had Squad51 alert on for fire channels, but it was busy doing it's tone while I was missing bits of the dispatch. The short blips or beeps were more reasonable. This scanner likes the Radio Shack 800mhz 7 inch antenna so far AND the simple bnc telescoping antenna. The stock antenna is good too.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT

the 1080 and PSR800 are clones Why would a brand new new scanner have updates this soon??

spoke to the Whistler rep,sheri nolan,supposedly the firmware 2.0 is a solid version of Phase 2 decoding is what she said.
I want to see video proof it works better.
The GRE 800 firmware gets stuck in beta 1.8

Last edited:

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to adjust speed of scanning channels ? I would like it faster .

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler WS1080 EZScan Software download now on Site

Not that I know of. I made sure to make my scan-lists by County, just like I had my old Pro96. Instead of placing all FIRE in one scan list or Police in another, I used County setups. Putting a bunch of fire *especially in Chicago Suburbs* in one scan-list will make things slower, I never seemed to get out of that scan-list as it spent all the time in there. One thing that seemed to help was Optimizing the data through the EZScan software menu on top. I guess it arranges the data in a very efficient manner. After you have all data updated and copied/saved in the V-Scanner tab up in the EZScan menu, you can then "optimize" it as EZScan downloads what you have on your scanner, deletes the folders, reassembles it and then back up to the scanner. Takes less time with a bigger microSD card. I have a 32gig microSD card and even though it takes 20 seconds for the scanner to first come on vs 5-10 with the 2gig card, the data transfer is much faster. I don't see any problems with scan rates but I usually don't have more than 4 or 5 scan lists going at once.

scosgt

Here is the trick about that:

I discovered that on this scanner you can put a trunked TG into a conventional scan list. What happens is, it has to acquire the trunked system and search for the channel you have active before it moves on. This slows scanning speed significantly, so much so that I have seen several missed transmissions received on another radio right next to it, while the 800 appears to simply miss the local very very strong transmissions.

So the quick answer is do not put trunked and conventional channels into the same scan list, and if you are in an area with a lot of conventional traffic (NYC) turn off the trunked systems. At that point, you will get very fast scan speeds.

SCPD

QRT
yes kinda...

Is there a way to adjust speed of scanning channels ? I would like it faster .

I'll have to try that with the trunked channel in the wrong place.Very interesting.
Yes,like the Uniden 436HP ,if you have less scanlists and scansets turned on ,check your settings,it still blows away the 436HP in speed either way.
The only thing the Uniden has the GRE doesnt is close call and Priority DND (donot disturb) that when turned on makes it go directly to your favorite town,Yours!
The 436HP loads alot faster when you turn it on , but the GRE scans faster and has a better lightshow (LED blinking patterns and such).

SCPD

QRT
no more direct download

Well if you have a Radio shack Pro668 or Whister 1080 and the sd card is corrupted,you are now out of luck since there are no direct download links!

Someone please post this software in the radios wiki!

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just emailed Whistler customer service on how to obtain EZScan since I lost the CD.

Here's how to find it:

https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/updates/

Click on the "Scanner Radio" tab.

Click "WS1080 Deleted/Reformatted SD card - EZ Scan IS NOT installed on PC". There is a link there to download EZScan.

Ed6698

Well if you have a Radio shack Pro668 or Whister 1080 and the sd card is corrupted,you are now out of luck since there are no direct download links!

Someone please post this software in the radios wiki!

Go to the Whistler website, Whistler updates in the upper middle right area.

ve3kko

would someone post a link to the Whistler 1080 version of EZ Scan version 1.09 software please?
Otherwise i will have to dig out the old XP clunker LOL.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.