Whistler_Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipesy

Don Starr had nothing to do with EZScan.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I want.....

Open up the SELECT ALL on the context menu to give ive us the ability to:
copy all 200 from software & paste to external spreadsheet
copy all 200 from external spreadsheet & paste into software

ez scanlist.jpgwin500 scanlist.jpg

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Don Starr had nothing to do with EZScan.

Sure looks & feels like his work...
Either way they could open up more functionality to make it easier to use.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Licensing agreement with Radio reference is why the "COPY" function can't be used.

Nothing in the Scanlist section is imported from the RR DB library. You edit those alpha tags to suit your own set up.

I can copy & paste to and from there - just one line at a time......I want the ability to paste all 200 scanlist alpha tags would be a great time saver.

I completely understand if you import from the RR DB library they don't want it copied. Not wanting to copy from there as I don't use the RR DB library import. I import from my own spreadsheets.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Licensing agreement with Radio reference is why the "COPY" function can't be used.

First as @bubbaearle said, he is not talking about the database, he is talking about scanlist names under the General Configuration menu/tab.
Secondly, import/export does work from frequency lists, talkgroups. and RIDs as long as you have entered it and it didn't come from the database import.

That said, this feature is currently not available and discussing it won't help. Perhaps @Whistler_Support will see this or someone will send them an email to suggest it in future EZ Scan updates.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What I posted is what Don said.
#1 He could not make software for new scanners.
#2 Don was the one that explained firmware that locked out DMR.
#3 Then Don was not allowed to discuss disclose any info from the way it was implied.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
First as @bubbaearle said, he is not talking about the database, he is talking about scanlist names under the General Configuration menu/tab.
Secondly, import/export does work from frequency lists, talkgroups. and RIDs as long as you have entered it and it didn't come from the database import.

That said, this feature is currently not available and discussing it won't help. Perhaps @Whistler_Support will see this or someone will send them an email to suggest it in future EZ Scan updates.

I did send them an e-mail and got this in reply:

Thank you for the clarification, I will pass this along to the SW engineer for the pc application should this be something that can be worked into the next update but I cannot make any promises as while this may seem like a simple task, each field reports to other fields on other tabs and must update each independent location tied to the scanlist control settings. This may or may not include Enabled and Default selections

Thank you for your suggestion

Whistler

Hopefully they will look into opening up this feature and include it in a future update.

CycleSycho

Thank you for the clarification, I will pass this along to the SW engineer for the pc application should this be something that can be worked into the next update but I cannot make any promises as while this may seem like a simple task, each field reports to other fields on other tabs and must update each independent location tied to the scanlist control settings. This may or may not include Enabled and Default selections

Whistler

Hopefully they will look into opening up this feature and include it in a future update.

:) I for one also hope they are listening..... :)

jhsands

Feed Provider

Whistler

That's called a relational database. Welcome to 1969.

radchad5501

I have a WS1040 and I am relatively new to scanning. I have two questions. First, when is it appropriate to use the attenuation feature? Second, I monitor around 8 channels (multiple objects per channel) and I have noticed many transmissions get cut off. Is when priority scanning or use of a delay is helpful? I know I could pause the channel, but sometimes that is not possible if I am not near the scanner. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

TAbirdman

I have a WS1040 and I am relatively new to scanning. I have two questions. First, when is it appropriate to use the attenuation feature? Second, I monitor around 8 channels (multiple objects per channel) and I have noticed many transmissions get cut off. Is when priority scanning or use of a delay is helpful? I know I could pause the channel, but sometimes that is not possible if I am not near the scanner. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!
Could be a couple of things. The Squelch could not be set high enough and the other is Priority is turned on. Note, weather priority is separate from the normal scanning priority. Both have separate on/off controls.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a WS1040 and I am relatively new to scanning. I have two questions. First, when is it appropriate to use the attenuation feature?

Most of the time it is used to eliminate interference, or desensitized reception. For example: You are listening to an 800 MHz channel from 10 miles away, but a nearby 800 MHz signal from another system causes your AGC to lower the gain, making your wanted signal noisy, or lost in the noise. Turning on the attenuator could lower the level of the offending signal, preventing the AGC from lowering the gain, and both signals are processed at a level that is pleasing.

PaulyWog

It likely has to do with the tools used to create the app.

When I first started programming on a PC in the early 80s, I decided to write the same program in 3 languages and compare the result. In QuickBasic (which is compiled), the sole line of code was CLS. The resulting EXE file was 32K. It took me around 11 lines of code in assembly to make a BIOS call to perform the same function, but I was able to get that down to a 9 byte COM file. When writing the same thing in C, the linker added stuff to the code that wasn't needed (although not as bad as QB) and I ended up with a few hundred byte EXE file. Getting that to convert to a COM file was more challenging than just writing in assembly in the first place.

Modern Windows code, whether written in VB.NET, C## or some other language is usually structured with MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class) objects. These are often arrays of zeroes that, to the casual user, look like they are reserving memory locations. The size depends on how the app is designed, and definitely make an executable far larger than they should be. I've always felt it would nice to have a real Operating System, instead of Windows, where these classes wouldn't exist in the app code. That discussion gets real deep really fast.

I do some C#, alot of .Net and have done alot of vb5 and 6.
I actually figured out everything I needed/wanted to do.. Turns out that the data return for Active Channel Information is slightly flawed.
bytes 160-163 in the Audio File Header Information always returns 0 even though the scanner shows the data.
Active Channel Information returns 326 bytes
Get LCD returns 104
and Get Status returns 20
I am perplexed as to why the 2 later are split up..as far as software stand point making 2 calls is far easier and faster than 3.

edmk3000

Whistler just raised the price of the “PSR-800, Pro-18, Pro-668 Legacy Upgrade” by 15% to $69.99 on March 1, 2021.

In an email with customer service explaining that just last week, the price was $59 and I was ready to purchase it, the response was, “The upgrade price was indeed raised to $69.99 as of the 1st of this month. We haven’t changed the price since June 2017.” She then referred me to the website for a limited time 11% discount on accessories.

Does a customer really want to hear their excuse? It’s kind of insulting to be told that because they haven’t raised the price in four years, they must maintain the higher price two and a half days later to an existing customer.

Maybe they are so desperate for that extra $10 that they would loose a customer over a 2 and a half day old price increase? ;)

Maybe I’m complaining too much. But less than THREE DAYS and they won’t throw a bone?

Ed

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Whistler just raised the price of the “PSR-800, Pro-18, Pro-668 Legacy Upgrade” by 15% to $69.99 on March 1, 2021.

Maybe I’m complaining too much. But less than THREE DAYS and they won’t throw a bone?

Would your local gas station lower the price for you if they raised it overnight. It's not Whistler's fault you decided to wait and $70 for the DMR/Database updates is still a great price!!!!

Last edited:

columbas

Premium Subscriber
Every since this virus every company has been raising their price out of greed and because they can. To long has this scanner hobby been getting out of control on the price of scanners. What will happen is they will price themselves off the market. No ones income has risen as fast as prices on anything we want or need to purchase. All I will say is one day you will see what I said is true. No one will be able to purchase scanners. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. I never thought I would live to see the price of scanners near 800 to thousand dollars depending what brand you look at. I had planned on getting another Whistler scanner. But right now. I don’t think I will ever be purchasing any scanner anymore. They. Raise the price then act like it is on sale. They must think we are stupid. That’s not a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.