New Whistler WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
New WS1080

Well, I just purchased a new 1080 based on good reviews I have read hear on RR, and after trying out a 436hp which I hated. I have always been a Uniden guy, I loved my 396xt. But their latest offering really, really disappointed me. I hedged on the 1080 for the lack of a keypad but I think I can get used to it. I will have it tomorrow and hopefully I will get used to the functionality, and like what I hear.

Ed6698

Well, I just purchased a new 1080 based on good reviews I have read hear on RR, and after trying out a 436hp which I hated. I have always been a Uniden guy, I loved my 396xt. But their latest offering really, really disappointed me. I hedged on the 1080 for the lack of a keypad but I think I can get used to it. I will have it tomorrow and hopefully I will get used to the functionality, and like what I hear.

I was not sure how I would like the 1080 at first without the keypad, just got to give it some time to get used to. I have had my 1080 for 8 months now and totally like it without a keypad. I don't care what the naysayers say about not having a keypad, I can fly through what ever I do on this scanner in no time with just my thumb in one hand. Biggest thing is just take your time getting used to no keypad, once you know where everything is at in the menus the 1080 is a breeze to operate.

marksmith

I was the same. But I got a PSR-800 when they came out (GRE version of 1080). I also have two 396xt's and still use them every day.

I got used to the 800 and probably still like the quality of the decoded sound as much as any radio.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

stingray327

Do you like the 436 better than the 1080?

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I have EZ Scan figured out and now have my scan lists written and saved but, what a clunky program. Why hasn't someone else like PSRedit or Starrsoft written an alternative? Just curious.

SCPD

QRT
I have EZ Scan figured out and now have my scan lists written and saved but, what a clunky program. Why hasn't someone else like PSRedit or Starrsoft written an alternative? Just curious.

EZScan is written by the guy from Starrsoft. It is really not that bad at all .. the Uniden software for their new scanners is much worse.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
EZScan is written by the guy from Starrsoft. It is really not that bad at all .. the Uniden software for their new scanners is much worse.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, after working with it some more, I am getting used to it. It's just different from the others in terms of the layout. Also once I have figured out some of the little quirks like scan sets. Anyway, no issues, really liking the 1080 so far.

Oh, one question about the 1080 display. Is there anyway to show the signal strength indicator while scanning trunked systems?

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Yes but not while scanning. Once it stops on an active TG then yes, I do see the signal. It would be nice if it showed all the time.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
The Strength meter doesn't show up? This was covered back in Sept-Oct 2014 when it first came out. If you go on the scanner to Menu/settings/Default values and choose those, the meter shows up then. This was some type of quirk and shows up after the first time you fall back to default values. Of course you'll have to scroll through and set things the way you want them either in the EZScan software or menu on the scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
It shows up when it stops on an active TG, it does not show up when it is scanning. The only thing I see when it is scanning the system is, Scan T G the scan arrow the battery icon and the name of the scan list. So you are saying, if I set the radio back to the default values, I will then see the signal meter while it is scanning?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS 1080 S meter

I'm sorry, I misread what you meant. The meter doesn't show up while scanning...just that arrow. What I meant was even when you were ON an object the "S" wasn't showing up when the scanner first came out. Choosing "default values" in the menu made it show up. No, when it scans....you don't see the meter just the battery and arrow

3mary2

Will a corrupted SD card keep the WS 1080 scanner from powering on? If not what are some of the things that would keep the scanner from powering on. Fresh batteries, plugged into computer. EZScan read the scanner program and saved to archive.

Swipesy

Will a corrupted SD card keep the WS 1080 scanner from powering on? If not what are some of the things that would keep the scanner from powering on. Fresh batteries, plugged into computer. EZScan read the scanner program and saved to archive.

First try this -

1. Unplug radio from power source.
2. Remove batteries from the radio.
3. Wait 30 seconds
4. Plug power source back into radio and see if it turns on.
5. If so then reinsert batteries.

If this does not work it is possible SDCard is corrupt but usually when that is the case you get an error message on the LCD. When it is totally dead, usually Steps 1-5 work.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, I misread what you meant. The meter doesn't show up while scanning...just that arrow. What I meant was even when you were ON an object the "S" wasn't showing up when the scanner first came out. Choosing "default values" in the menu made it show up. No, when it scans....you don't see the meter just the battery and arrow

OK thanks for the info. I am loving the scanner except for the audio maxing out at 30. I wonder if a future firmware update could address this or is it a hardware limitation?

Ed6698

Just got some new rechargeable batteries to test out in my WS 1080 as the set of Sanyo Eneloop XX were starting to give me charging issues after a 1 1/2 years of heavy use. Now I have a set of the Panasonic Eneloop Pro, Panasonic bought the rights to the Eneloop line. Just giving them a top off charge, they came with about 75% charge still in them. These are rated at 2550 mah. If these seem good I will get another set.

I don't really like digging up old threads, but I was the creator of this thread, so I figured I may as well update this one instead of creating a new one.

This is a update of the use of Panasonic Eneloop Pros batteries.

I got this set on the 11/12/2014

This set of Eneloop Pros had 2 of the 4 go bad today. 2 of them get the HIGH error in my charger now. These batteries I feel lasted quite a while as they were used regularly and probably charged almost every other day during their use. They have lasted better then Duracell and Energizer rechargeable. IMO I got my moneys worth out of them, lasted far longer then what I expected, cause I have been waiting for them to start showing signs of failure for a couple months.

I just got my new set of Panasonic Eneloop Pros out of the package today, been sitting on my shelf close to a year and they had a over half the charge left when put in scanner.

IMO these Eneloops have been the best performing rechargeable batteries I have used.

stingray327

I don't really like digging up old threads, but I was the creator of this thread, so I figured I may as well update this one instead of creating a new one.

This is a update of the use of Panasonic Eneloop Pros batteries.

I got this set on the 11/12/2014

This set of Eneloop Pros had 2 of the 4 go bad today. 2 of them get the HIGH error in my charger now. These batteries I feel lasted quite a while as they were used regularly and probably charged almost every other day during their use. They have lasted better then Duracell and Energizer rechargeable. IMO I got my moneys worth out of them, lasted far longer then what I expected, cause I have been waiting for them to start showing signs of failure for a couple months.

I just got my new set of Panasonic Eneloop Pros out of the package today, been sitting on my shelf close to a year and they had a over half the charge left when put in scanner.

IMO these Eneloops have been the best performing rechargeable batteries I have used.

Thanks for the info and update. What was the rating of those batteries 1900mah?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the same batteries since January of this year with no problems. I'm rough on them too... The only charging is through the scanner with the scanner on. Even with that, they generally last as long as I need the scanner to unplugged.

TES

Now that this thread has again made it to the top, a correction. That "guy from Starrsoft" would have to be Don Starr (dons on RadioReference.com). While Mr. Starr wrote the firmware for the various scanners that make use of EZ-Scan software, he did not write the EZ-Scan software.

Status
Not open for further replies.