Who Posts Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan-Denver

greenthumb said:
Just what we need...

Anyway, those are fine suggestions, Scan_Denver, so how about this:

New Data: Admins work it in as they have been, and if anyone finds a discrepancy in the data, they bring it up in an appropriately titled new forum thread and identify the error and provide the suggested correction. After a suitable amount of time without discussion, or an agreement has been made as to what the correction should be, the user who initiated the thread will submit the data to the database for correction and the admins will work it in.

Data Corrections: Initiate an appropriately titled new forum thread and identify the error and provide the suggested correction. After a suitable amount of time without discussion, or an agreement has been made as to what the correction should be, the user who initiated the thread will submit the data to the database for correction and the admins will work it in.

Does this sound like a plausible solution that everyone can participate in?
This is not a real solution to an obvious problem. Just imagine someone looking at in-correct data because a period of time needs to go by before submitting a correction and not being able to hear what they want because it is in-correct.

Those of us here in Colorado know who has the accurate data on systems here in Colorado. So for the Admin who is a Colorado resident, he/she should check with those of us who have the accurate info and confir with them before posting and therefore eliminating incorrect data to begin with.

Scan-Denver

And for those who submit corrections to in-correct data already present, again the admin should confirm with those here in Colorado who have the correct info on Colordao systems so that the submitted corrections are accurate.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Those of us here in Colorado know who has the accurate data on systems here in Colorado. So for the Admin who is a Colorado resident, he/she should check with those of us who have the accurate info and confir with them before posting and therefore eliminating incorrect data to begin with.

In my proposal, the only time that a correction could potentially be delayed is if nobody objects to it - and my thought on a "reasonable amount of time" was no longer than three days. Be aware that currently, all changes do not get completed immediately. It depends on whether the admins for this area have been at this site and/or have time to work the change in. Usually the global admins will leave it to the locals to make the changes and won't intervene unless it's been a LOOOONG time. Not much is immediate on that end, although we do make every effort get submissions worked in ASAP. I would rather we take a day or three extra to make sure things are right than to rush changes through and have these complaints.

Feel free to detail how you think it should be done because I guess I am not seeing how what I am suggesting differs from what you are asking for.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
jimmnn said:
Highland Rescue Team Tac Channel.

Thank you.

And Englewood has not been using VHF channels for weeks.

I am inclined to leave these in the database for a while, but make a notation in the entry that they have switched to DTRS full-time - at least until they have "settled down" for a tad bit longer.

Unless, of course, we have first-hand confirmation that they have removed all of the VHF equipment from their cars and belts, at which point you would be correct and it would be prudent to remove the VHF entries from the database.

Scan-Denver

greenthumb said:
In my proposal, the only time that a correction could potentially be delayed is if nobody objects to it - and my thought on a "reasonable amount of time" was no longer than three days. Be aware that currently, all changes do not get completed immediately. It depends on whether the admins for this area have been at this site and/or have time to work the change in. Usually the global admins will leave it to the locals to make the changes and won't intervene unless it's been a LOOOONG time. Not much is immediate on that end, although we do make every effort get submissions worked in ASAP. I would rather we take a day or three extra to make sure things are right than to rush changes through and have these complaints.

Feel free to detail how you think it should be done because I guess I am not seeing how what I am suggesting differs from what you are asking for.
That will work as long as again whomever the admin is making the changes, will confirm with what I will call the "veterans" of Colorado scanning and are very familiar with all or most of the systems here in Colorado. I would say sending out an email to each of the experts here in Colorado or starting a new thread advising of the pending additions/changes to the database and then allowing the experts to advise if these changes are accurate.

This in my opinion would work - of course others might think differently and it should be the opinions of the majority.

skipshark773

I would like to apologize for the ruckus that it would appear I have started here. It was me who posted the new info for the 1515 ID. I had heard it being used recently and referred to as, what I could swear was "hyland hills tac". I believed it to belong to hyland hills as I had no idea there was a hyland rescue unit.

I have been a colorado resident for approximately a year and a half. My time is split between Jefferson County and Fort Collins and I have been trying my best to learn all of the auspicies of government and their relations to the radio systems they work on.

When I hear information that is new to me I note it down, and then come to the DB to see what it is listed as. I try my best to conduct my own research by looking things up online and sometimes getting in contact with people that work for those agencies. In addition I have been in public safety for over eight years in departments across the country. I try to bring that experience to the radio community and help out as best I can. I am also a direct user of the state's DTRS, being employed through them.

I have been a member here since 2002 and have made many changes to the databases of my respective states to try to improve their accuracy. I have never maliciously altered any information in a database to upset people, and I apologize for having upset my fellow Colorado listeners. My only intention was to improve the quality of the information offered by this wonderfully comprehensive website.

The DB admins here are not to blame. They cannot possibly know every radio system in the state intimately. They trust us, the listening public, to observe and report information. The information was mine, and through no fault of the admins, was posted incorrectly.

As such, I shall discontinue posting any information I have recieved or uncovered as I fear that I may have made a fool of myself and of the colorado listening base. Again, my most sincere apologizes to the DB admins, and my peers.

STiMULi

skipshark773 said:
As such, I shall discontinue posting any information I have recieved or uncovered as I fear that I may have made a fool of myself and of the colorado listening base. Again, my most sincere apologizes to the DB admins, and my peers.

You have done your best. You too can not know it all. You should continue to post what you have heard. Despite what you think this is not a big deal.

If you find something you are not sure about make a post and try to get some feedback. Don't give up.

This is not a big deal. Really.

Is it?

I am done. Best of luck to you guys. :)

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Why not just post in the forums section, hey just came upon 1515 and they are referring to Hyland something anyone have any ideas? That to me is what this group is for.

Like the recent thread has Salida gone digital or not.

Or heads up there some new sites going up and maybe some 700mhx control channel activity in the North Metro area.

Welcome to the state, never stop posting just consider we can all learn at the same time. I am also a daily user of the system but have some advantages to having worked in Emergency Services in Colorado for over 20 years and even flown to all areas of the state and region in air medical for many years, so the contact list is a little longer.

Jim<

skipshark773

I agree. I have never doubted anyone's credentials or skills here, I know that you all are very knowledgeable. I do feel poorly that my hasty information post has led to such a heated debate. In the future I will bring any information here prior to posting to get everyone's confirmation, unless it comes directly from an agency document, publication, ect. Thank you all for understanding and again sorry if the incorrect information has misled anyone.

Scan-Denver

skipshark773 said:
I agree. I have never doubted anyone's credentials or skills here, I know that you all are very knowledgeable. I do feel poorly that my hasty information post has led to such a heated debate. In the future I will bring any information here prior to posting to get everyone's confirmation, unless it comes directly from an agency document, publication, ect. Thank you all for understanding and again sorry if the incorrect information has misled anyone.
Dont't sweat it !! We welcome you and your input here anytime !!!

We all need to collaborate together when it comes to submitting info so that we get it right the first time.

This debate had nothing to do with your submission and your apology isn't needed.

Once again, welcome to our online community and perhaps we can meet you face to face at the next scanner get together - keep watching this forum for the date and time.

cstockmyer

Could there be away that before things are put into the database, it's run by the forms too? No matter how "good" the source is? Just a thought.

Scan-Denver

cstockmyer said:
Could there be away that before things are put into the database, it's run by the forms too? No matter how "good" the source is? Just a thought.
Sounds like an excellent idea to me - cover all the bases to make sure the data being submitted is accurate !

luke-1

greenthumb said:
Along these same lines, I keep an eye on this forum because people will post needed frequencies and talk groups and not submit them to the datatbase. This is where the system is broken from the user end, too.

After reading this thread, it seems to me, it will work better that way. I don't think it's broken.

Luke

Scan-Denver

Scan-Denver said:
That will work as long as again whomever the admin is making the changes, will confirm with what I will call the "veterans" of Colorado scanning and are very familiar with all or most of the systems here in Colorado. I would say sending out an email to each of the experts here in Colorado or starting a new thread advising of the pending additions/changes to the database and then allowing the experts to advise if these changes are accurate.
So is this something we can implement for posting new data ?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, I am watching this thread and reading your concerns.

We have a very successful process in place that has gotten radioreference.com where it is today, and that's why you guys are here in the first place. I readily admit that we've got some challenges to accuracy of data, however we've made great strides in getting an outstanding admin and moderation staff in place to keep things moving smoothly.

Again, I watching your comments, taking notes, and evaluating how we can address some of these challenges that you all have identified.

In the mean time, please be positive, and work with us to insure that the accuracy continues to get better.

You guys have been a busy bunch over the past two weeks! ;-)

Please also remember that there are a LOT of people that consider themselves "veterans" of the scanning community, and actually running every database submission by a subjectively titled set of veterans is not feasible. We have received over 40,000 submissions of data since inception, and running all those by bunches of forums, people, and exception processes just cannot occur. user submittied data is always a concern for community oriented and managed data collection points. The commmunity sorts a lot of this out, that is how we run the submissions by the community, and while it takes time, it works.

Furthermore, it is very common for disagreements even between the veterans on data accuracy and representations, so I think we are on the right track and doing a great job.

Last edited:

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
colorado database

Ok I read all (seemed like847) posts on this subject....so Ill ask the obvious

#1 who are the Colorado Monitors ?

#2 can this be or is it Public knowledge?

why or why not?

is it that hard to have someone in state do this there is a guy in greeley and a guy down south metro with tons of info

use them!!!!!!

Im sorry but Ill vote for Jimm to be the MAN!! He helps me out alot and ( he will tell you)

I ask lots of questions on Yahell IM...........

I know Im not the only one asking

and one suggestion ........................

please keep the old "dispatch only freqs" posted and if it has a pl please include it

Status
Not open for further replies.