Why are amateur radio licenses required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulears

because the whole world agreed it would be protected and regulated. On top of that, hams in every country speak to each other, so changes made in one country impact others. This makes governments talk to each other.

Talking is a two way thing - anyone can buy a radio on ebay and do what they want with it, but if you want to talk to somebody who took a test, got a licence and follows rules, then you will be very lonely. CB and the worldwide free and unregulated services work great - but ham radio, despite our moans and groans is a community with very similar entry requirements, wherever you are.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I guess the OP thinks that it's OK for non-licensed people to buy 1500 watt, or more, amplifiers and start transmitting as they see fit.

As for the whole world agreeing that a license should be necessary for amateur radio, I'm not sure it was the whole world, but the International Telecommunications Union did agree to the idea.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Contrary to popular belief folks do this every day. I have met entire groups of hunters that used a 2M frequency. They really don't care. Its no different in GMRS world or any other band. Some people just use what they want. Others follow the rules. GMRS is turning into the new Ham Lite anyway and I find over half the GMRs users have no license either.

There is no fix. Until Amazon and Ebay stop selling radios its only to get worse. Its the world we live in. All we can do is try to educate and help users find the right option. Instead many folks help users skirt the rules, modify radios to work in other services and say the FCC doesn't care.

Back to regularly scheduled traffic now....

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Contrary to popular belief folks do this every day. I have met entire groups of hunters that used a 2M frequency. They really don't care. Its no different in GMRS world or any other band. Some people just use what they want. Others follow the rules. GMRS is turning into the new Ham Lite anyway and I find over half the GMRs users have no license either.

There is no fix. Until Amazon and Ebay stop selling radios its only to get worse. Its the world we live in. All we can do is try to educate and help users find the right option. Instead many folks help users skirt the rules, modify radios to work in other services and say the FCC doesn't care.

Back to regularly scheduled traffic now....
To be fair, even the "real" amateur radio stores (HRO, AES, DXE, R&L) don't check licenses either. You pay and walk away.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
True. When I bought my HTX202 (on layaway) from the local Radio Shack I had to provide my license before I could leave the store with it. Not sure when vendors eliminated that check over time.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Why is a drivers license even needed to get into driving cars, that makes no sense. Just buy a car and start driving where ever you want.

See how foolish you sound?
Except no one can die from misuse of a ham radio.

prcguy

Why is a license even needed to get into ham radio, that makes no sense , just buy a radio off ebay and start talking
Its to prevent something like this but in the RF spectrum.

ecmweb_10865_crazy_wiring_nepal_pr.png

Mikejo

Yeah why do you need a license to handle dynamite, TNT and nitroglycerin? Just buy the stuff and use it… Oh by the way I hope you know if your trip and fall with a box of nitroglycerin, you will blow yourself up ! yeah, but who needs the education that usually precedes a license for these sort of things? Yea, who needs rules for good order to prevent chaos anyways!

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
True. When I bought my HTX202 (on layaway) from the local Radio Shack I had to provide my license before I could leave the store with it. Not sure when vendors eliminated that check over time.
Sadly, when they discovered that they could fatten their bottom line. Call it willful blindness but it stinks that these otherwise reputable amateur radio vendors deep down possess a grotesque indifference towards the rest of us who've moved up the ladder from one license class to the next one(s) Obviously, not every vendor operates in this manner but indirectly, the good ones unjustly get a black eye from the bottom feeders who do. And why Amazon continues to get away with the practice of selling two way amateur radio equipment, knowing full well that a majority of their customers aren't licensed and don't know their tails from a hole in the ground regarding the rules of the road is beyond reprehension!

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I think possessing a license for certain frequency bands/radio services is a good idea and serves a purpose. However, taking a test to get a license especially a Technician HAM license is kinda stupid. What purpose does memorizing answers to a test just to get a license when a majority of the people won't remember anyways or have the technical knowledge just so they can only communicate on the 2 Meters, 70 cm, and 33 cm bands with both voice analog or digital modulations.

I can see the purpose for other bands with the higher power levels to have a test but not for the bands I mentioned above especially if the power levels are 100 watts or lower.

I think the FCC should treat the license requirements for voice only modulations on the 2 Meter, 70 cm, and 33 cm bands with FCC Type-Accepted equipment at power levels 100 watts or lower like they license users for GMRS.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
As others say, without some form of frequency coordnation, there would be sheer pandemonium in regards to radio signals worldwide. What's to stop Cuba from putting a 250 KW shortwave station on the air in the middle of the Citizens Band?

In order to coordinate global radio, 193 countries got together and formed the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). There are currently 193 countries taking part.. See--> About ITU Through international agreement, the ITU carved out all the bands we see.. (Such as international shortwave, utility, air, marine, amateur, etc). The ITU holds World Administrative Radio Conferences every three to four years in Geneva Switzerland to address new technology and to make things run smoother.

All the member countries of the ITU (including the US) are bound to follow these international rules. The FCC can't just do whatever it wants in regards to assigning frequencies.

Out of interest, the licensing requirements for amateur radio (ham) operators are a requirement of the ITU. Like all the other 193 ITU members, the FCC must comply. https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/m/R-REC-M.1544-1-201509-I!!PDF-E.pdf

As for VHF/UHF being local... A considerable number of satellites use these bands to communicate with the ground. As such many of these frequencies for current of future use must be protected.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Personally, I think possessing a license for certain frequency bands/radio services is a good idea and serves a purpose. However, taking a test to get a license especially a Technician HAM license is kinda stupid. What purpose does memorizing answers to a test just to get a license when a majority of the people won't remember anyways or have the technical knowledge just so they can only communicate on the 2 Meters, 70 cm, and 33 cm bands with both voice analog or digital modulations.
Anyone can memorize the test answers for any of the exams. It's not difficult.
I can see the purpose for other bands with the higher power levels to have a test but not for the bands I mentioned above especially if the power levels are 100 watts or lower.

I think the FCC should treat the license requirements for voice only modulations on the 2 Meter, 70 cm, and 33 cm bands with FCC Type-Accepted equipment at power levels 100 watts or lower like they license users for GMRS.
In the US, at least, a tech can transmit above 100 watts on VHF/UHF. That invalidates this train of thought.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why is a license even needed to get into ham radio, that makes no sense , just buy a radio off ebay and start talking

Based on the amateur radio license holders I've run across that use GMRS without a license, or access public safety systems without authorization, or program LMR systems into their radios "just in case", I think it's a fair question.

I think if someone wants to buy a random Chinese radio off Amazon and just use it without a license, the amateur radio bands are the ideal place to do that. Less chances of interfering with public safety users.

But, yeah, getting your tech license is really easy. I think many people have a harder time filling out the paper work on their own for a GMRS license (as well as paying the fees) than they do getting their ham tickets (where someone essentially holds your hand and walks you through it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Except no one can die from misuse of a ham radio.
Maybe not as quickly as from a gun shot or a traffic accident, but misuse of RF transmitters can have serious health impacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.