Why do you all enjoy using DMR?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Decaf won't get me through my day, man...

Why even ask the question, if you're not looking to poke the hornet's nest? All I was doing was offering a little support to others.
Because it’s a good talking point… For me, the idea of a hotspot is much more interesting as a learning tool than as a useful communication method. Yes, it can be useful for communications if you have some or all of the limitations stated previously, but I can see what @KK4JUG means.

Part of the intrigue of radio (at least for me) is not using the infrastructure put in place by the large telecom companies and being more a part of the design of the system from end to end. In the case of EmComm, a hotspot can also provide a false sense of security and certainly does not qualify as DXing any more than ChatRoulette does…

Using a hotspot DOES, however, let you learn about talk groups, how to set up links and learn a lot of other things that can apply to a linked repeater system or actual RF site. As long as you’re learning, a hotspot is awesome! Just know the limits of what it can do and what it doesn’t teach you, such as antenna design, propagation of radio waves, and how power and location affect the ability to be heard.

Regards,
Brian

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Perhaps one lives in an apartment, where antenna real estate is limited, but the internet connection is stellar.
But, why DMR in this case? Why not an IRLP hotspot thus making use of long-existing analog technology? Why not use a remote connection to an HF radio? My point is that there are many solutions to your stated problem, not just DMR.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, DMR is ham radio but is some guy in Alaska talking to someone in Miami using the Internet still ham radio or a long distance phone call?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Let me be condescending also: The acronym "VOIP" means Voice Over Internet Protocol.

Why can't it be both ham and VOIP or is that a demeaning combination?

lands818

Premium Subscriber
I was an early adopter of DMR, was blessed to have a very early DMR repeater on the air near me. I enjoyed the challenge of learning something new—not just a different programming scheme of the radio itself, but HOW DMR worked (time slots, color codes, TG’s, etc) as well as the copper/fiber/server infrastructure too. Pretty geeky stuff that fed my appetite to learn. Used anything from local TG’s that keep me on the machine I am connected to locally by RF to some regional network linked machines to the rabbit hole of BM TG’s. Never looked at it as a substitute for FM analog or HF…just another aspect of the hobby. I do cringe when hearing stations calling CQ DX, giving signal reports, and asking for some form of QSL confirmations of the contact made on DMR but that’s just me—they can do what they want.

Beyond the initial enjoyment of the learning curve with DMR my interest has waned but is still active. DMR has a place in my operations on days when I just want to mix up how I’m going to ‘play radio’ at the moment and enjoy the hobby. As the old saying goes: Variety is the spice of life.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
It absolutely is both ham radio and VoIP guys… and it’s the application and learning potential that make it useful! Also, to be honest, DMR and hotspots shouldn’t even really be combined in this discussion. One doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the other. It’s kind of like arguing about whether lactose intolerant people like to eat cereal… There are many kinds of milk that all work with cereal…

You could be using DMR, P25, D-Star, Fusion, or NXDN, and with the right firmware and software, even P25 trunked VDOC(!!) between your hotspot and radio. That’s why the learning potential is so high and why hotspots are very much in the spirit of ham radio! You can experiment with and learn about almost any mode, then apply that knowledge to a more powerful RF system. The principals remain the same. Take that knowledge and add a real repeater and real antenna and you’ve got a tangible system!

For those that define ham radio as a “when all else fails” system (whackers), and for accomplished DXers, hotspots aren’t your bag! But for those that enjoy experimenting with digital modes in an environment that doesn’t produce interference with other radio systems, it’s absolutely perfect! I’d rather people play around with hotspots than tie up spectrum and cause interference to other users… If you can’t understand why hotspots are one solid part of a vastly diverse hobby, you need to change your definition of ham radio.

-B

K7MFC

WRAA720
Right?!! The most bizarre part about those complaining “dMR iSnT rEaL hAm rAdi0!!!” is that their ability to operate “real ham radio” is not at all diminished or impeded, nor is there some requirement to use any modes they don’t like. So, there’s not really any valid issue or problem at all, just complaints about something they weren’t ever going to do in the first place

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Right?!! The most bizarre part about those complaining “dMR iSnT rEaL hAm rAdi0!!!” is that their ability to operate “real ham radio” is not at all diminished or impeded, nor is there some requirement to use any modes they don’t like. So, there’s not really any valid issue or problem at all, just complaints about something they weren’t ever going to do in the first place
Ya… I think part of the problem is generational because these modes didn’t exist when most Elmers became hams. To a lot of older hams, building HealthKits and antennas and using those homemade setups to DX was where the fun was at! There was no internet and radio was a leading form of communication. It’s a lot like how some hams still don’t respect you if you can’t operate CW.

Don’t get me wrong. Personally, I really enjoy the idea of NOT using a hotspot for primary communications because I really enjoy trying to work a repeater or DX using specific antennas, various locations, and different bands depending on time of day. Ya know, true point to point comms that I can control. There is so much more to making contacts when the infrastructure is all your own.

Hotspots do take for granted the fact that there is major infrastructure in place and (privately owned) BM servers operate within the confines of that infrastructure. So to some people, the idea of a hotspot goes against the true ‘art of radio’, and I get that. However, even with that mentality, we shouldn’t ignore the fact that a hotspot is a gateway to the world of ham radio and, especially as a learning tool, can definitely spark the imagination and magnify interest. With all the dead air on ham repeaters across the country, a hotspot connects hams and that’s the important part

You never know where a discussion via hotspot may lead! You may discover a new aspect of radio you never even knew about. I would encourage anyone with a hotspot to try and work local repeaters in addition to your hotspot! Your radios can store thousands of channels, so add your local repeaters and give it a shot! As for me, I’m getting into a hotspot after nearly a decade as a general class because of my growing interest in trunked radio systems. With a hotspot, I can emulate my very own trunked radio site, which would otherwise cost thousands and thousands of dollars. With a hotspot, it’s right there, ready for me to explore, and I love it!!

-Brian

Thorndike113

When it comes to this subject, it is the big reason why I wish the FCC would take everything above 30 MHz away from the hams. Leave it to people who actually appreciate new communication technology and isn't the kind of person who stifles its growth. By stifle growth, I mean -

Veteran Ham operator: So, new ham, I want to congratulate you on passing your test and getting your ticket.
New Ham: Thank you. Ham radio looks like a lot of fun. I want to try out some repeaters. I have tried making contacts on simplex but there doesn't seem to be much activity.
Veteran Ham operator: Yes repeaters are nice, but the real action is on HF. You can talk around the world and there is lots of activity down there, especially when the bands open up. So it looks like next is getting your general license......................[and on and on they go about HF].

Ham radio is only one thing unfortunately when it comes down to it - HF!! I can safely say this as I have sat here monitoring so many conversations between old hams and new hams and I have seen what ACTUALLY happens.

I hate to say it but digital or analog, one band or the other, The commercial communications world is light years ahead of ham radio when it comes to communication. While everyone sits on HF and does contesting and on occasion comes up on 2 meters to take a breather and recruit more newbies down onto HF, public safety and other entities are communicating on systems that blow most peoples minds. People are out there coming up with the next means of communications every day while hams are sitting on HF worried about whether or not they are going to make enough contacts for some '_OTA' activation. I mean, to each their own but my gosh, how dare any ham say any radio mode out there is NOT ham radio. By making a statement like that, you show what 'Isn't' ham radio and what 'is' ham radio. It literally limits it down to HF. Unless they are on a band making contact with someone from the other side of the world, they don't feel like its Ham Radio. It just proves, by the way most hams talk and act, Ham Radio is NOT about local communications and its definitely NOT anything digital that you would find in the commercial world. It really reminds me of the great divide between CB radio and Ham Radio. Same thing, different mode.

So please, FCC, take away from hams what they consider "Not Ham Radio" and give it to people who appreciate the new technology. It doesn't mean Hams will be excluded, It just means those of us in the new radio service can enjoy what we like and when a ham complains that what we do is not real radio, we can tell them to go back to Ham radio/they can go back to there bands. No harm No foul. Win win all the way around.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
When it comes to this subject, it is the big reason why I wish the FCC would take everything above 30 MHz away from the hams. Leave it to people who actually appreciate new communication technology and isn't the kind of person who stifles its growth. By stifle growth, I mean -

Veteran Ham operator: So, new ham, I want to congratulate you on passing your test and getting your ticket.
New Ham: Thank you. Ham radio looks like a lot of fun. I want to try out some repeaters. I have tried making contacts on simplex but there doesn't seem to be much activity.
Veteran Ham operator: Yes repeaters are nice, but the real action is on HF. You can talk around the world and there is lots of activity down there, especially when the bands open up. So it looks like next is getting your general license......................[and on and on they go about HF].

Ham radio is only one thing unfortunately when it comes down to it - HF!! I can safely say this as I have sat here monitoring so many conversations between old hams and new hams and I have seen what ACTUALLY happens.

I hate to say it but digital or analog, one band or the other, The commercial communications world is light years ahead of ham radio when it comes to communication. While everyone sits on HF and does contesting and on occasion comes up on 2 meters to take a breather and recruit more newbies down onto HF, public safety and other entities are communicating on systems that blow most peoples minds. People are out there coming up with the next means of communications every day while hams are sitting on HF worried about whether or not they are going to make enough contacts for some '_OTA' activation. I mean, to each their own but my gosh, how dare any ham say any radio mode out there is NOT ham radio. By making a statement like that, you show what 'Isn't' ham radio and what 'is' ham radio. It literally limits it down to HF. Unless they are on a band making contact with someone from the other side of the world, they don't feel like its Ham Radio. It just proves, by the way most hams talk and act, Ham Radio is NOT about local communications and its definitely NOT anything digital that you would find in the commercial world. It really reminds me of the great divide between CB radio and Ham Radio. Same thing, different mode.

So please, FCC, take away from hams what they consider "Not Ham Radio" and give it to people who appreciate the new technology. It doesn't mean Hams will be excluded, It just means those of us in the new radio service can enjoy what we like and when a ham complains that what we do is not real radio, we can tell them to go back to Ham radio/they can go back to there bands. No harm No foul. Win win all the way around.
Some of the coolest aspects of ham radio are only available above 30MHz. Controlling satellites, ATV/DATV, and long range drone piloting are three big ones that come to mind. I get the point you are trying to make and like I said previously, this is a stereotype that just needs to die… that old hams only value HF. For some, HF is all they personally enjoy, but the ones I hang with still respect and value every band and look for ways to use those bands to learn and have fun!

I’m in a great club and even though I’m the youngest by a pretty good margin, our members are into ATV, digital modes, and one even helped build out the Colorado DTRS! As a general class operator with pretty much full access to HF, I highly value the VHF and UHF bands and love to explore P25, my favorite digital mode. I’m in the process of securing a site to put my P25C repeater and am really excited about using my hotspot to create a P25 trunked site! Hotspots and V/UHF are important to the hobby so hams can explore the cutting edge communication methods you are talking about!

Your sarcasm is frustrating because it’s based on a bad stereotype. I understand the sentiment, but I kinda resent it because if I weren’t a ham, I wouldn’t have ever gotten into radio at all and would have never found commercial LMR, something I’m now growing into a business. Being dragged down to HF is a choice. If it’s not your bag, just don’t do it!

-B

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

While I don't necessarily disagree....HF is still the place to be. Been doing Field Day for almost 30 years, and our club operates in local parks at least once, sometimes twice a month in the nice weather months. You know where people aren't? VHF/UHF, with the exception of satellites. At all these events we do, with reasonable amounts of public interest, everybody is at the HF stations, or the satellite stations. Nobody cares about the VHF/UHF stations and using a radio to talk a couple towns away. Even talking around the world is less interesting for folks, considering the internet and cell phones, but the HF stations are still packed with both operators and visitors. At Field Day this year, I made probably a dozen contacts on the VHF station, only because I would walk by the station after getting another hamburger and margarita, and got tired of all the poor souls (likely newer techs. or such) calling CQ with nobody answering back. I legitimately felt bad for them.